Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Next Release?

Thanks

Re: Next Release?

I`ve just been told on my Facebook Page! to expect new Jimi Radio Rec on CTT WTF????
    "Fucking Hell, I Broke a String!!"
    1968 Voodoo Chile sessions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    The BBC trax should be up very soon. Enjoy.
    Watching this space! That carrot is looking pretty tasty...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    .....The CD release in the late 1980s from Reprise Records is notable for being one of the few CDs to use the CD+G technology that would display graphics while the CD plays on certain systems hooked into a television.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smash_...erience_album)

Smash Hits Plus (ATM DVD 007 / 2004 / DVD-R)
    (DVD Conversion of the CD-G Enhanced US "Smash Hits" CD Reprise 2276-2, 1989)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smash Hits (US Version) (Reprise 2276-2 / 1989 / USA / 1CD)
    (Compilation of previously released material)
    notes:
    - Expanded CD-release of the 1969 album [US version] featuring 2 extra tracks and CD+G enhancements.
    Smash Hits (US version) (Reprise MSK 2276 / USA / 1969 / 1LP)
    (Compilation of previously released material)

The 'Smash Hits' CD+G recorded to DVD(3.56gig)
    https://mega.nz/#!mIkW1CYA!9aKqkIoArXxIGqNbacoFpiVVjucan0KsT69p3IH EtYg

Thanks very much for this! Would you happen to have the Laserdisc rip of Johnny B. Goode handy? I would love to have a copy, the Are You Experienced? video on there is the very first vid I saw of Jimi.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to orcanaoftime For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Why do they keep withholding stuff like LA Forum 69 or Maui or Stockholm 2nd Show? Give us the live stuff. Wheres box of Gypsys? Dont they own all the master tracks or something now?? Id be happy with a re release of live at the fillmore on vinyl!

I realise theyre not using RSD to realese top product, but even san diego 69 wouldve been great. It would be a reasonably comprised release seems as though they released most of the tracks off it when they re released In The West. But it would be great to own on vinyl.

For all they do wrong i am happy with their support of vinyl. Its the greatest musical medium of all time and i am addicted to it!!
    D'ya get me my cheezwiz, boy?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to weavzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 732 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orcanaoftime View Post
    Thanks very much for this! Would you happen to have the Laserdisc rip of Johnny B. Goode handy? I would love to have a copy, the Are You Experienced? video on there is the very first vid I saw of Jimi.
    a mediocre VHS rip only
    http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?26456-Johnny-B-Good-VHS&p=117423#

Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 Times in 219 Posts

Jimi Hendrix - Smash Hits
    Restored from original 1969 format.

http://recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusiv.../jimi-hendrix/

http://www.recordstoreday.com/News

9. The Following User Says Thank You to okla70homa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The "new" Smash Hits is getting a full release on June 10

http://www.amazon.com/Smash-Hits-Jim...s=music&sr=1-1

I'm glad this is getting a full release. I missed the chance to get one on Record Store day.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RasFreeman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So they've released the same substanded release twice in 2 months. Oh how wonderful!

Unbelievable...

...no wait, it is actually quite believable.
    D'ya get me my cheezwiz, boy?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 Times in 219 Posts

The idea behind the Record Store Day is to release exclusive records only for this day.
    I think one of the RSD-rules is that the "exclusive" records will never released later.
    What happens now is a pure rip off.
    EH/Sony Legacy should be banned from future Record Store Days.

To avoid misunderstandings:
    I don't see exclusive records as an investment.
    I play all the records I buy, try not to make a lot of money on the usual
    marketplaces with these exclusive (sealed) records.
    I can understand that not everyone has the opportunity on record Store Day.
    No shop nearby, too late or something like that.
    But what EH/Sony Legacy now do is not OK.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to okla70homa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,999 Times in 855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by okla70homa View Post
    The idea behind the Record Store Day is to release exclusive records only for this day.
    I think one of the RSD-rules is that the "exclusive" records will never released later.

For sure but it is not just EH/Sony doing this. RSD is no longer what was intended, as per all business it boils down to fleecing the customer regardless of how good the initial intent!
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by okla70homa View Post

RSD has allowed what EH are doing for a while now.

They even specify in their list what are RSD exclusives and what are only "RSD First" releases.

Smash Hits was listed as the latter.

http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/8397

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

RSD is just a last ditch commercial ploy of a dying industry. If it's not unique material unavailable anywhere else, or it's a fucking amazing quality improvement, it's a waste of space. Couldn't give a toss what medium its on - it will end up digital which suits me. Vinyl is stone-age shit (as are digital discs), just the usual noise from static, poor pressing or whatever, or one click and it's ruined. Their only advantage was the 12" cover which was handy for skinning up
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah, very handy those covers

Maybe you should have a listen to a well set up TT / HiFi with a clean record and styli!

An example of "a fucking amazing quality improvement"? Well we can start with the recent Newbury Comics "gimmick" blue vinyl Electric Ladyland. Never heard a digital release sound as good, a Hirez files is no closer and this pressing is about as good as I have heard the recording in close to 49 years :-)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah, very handy those covers

Maybe you should have a listen to a well set up TT / HiFi with a clean record and styli!

An example of "a fucking amazing quality improvement"? Well we can start with the recent Newbury Comics "gimmick" blue vinyl Electric Ladyland. Never heard a digital release sound as good, a Hirez files is no closer and this pressing is about as good as I have heard the recording in close to 49 years :-)
    (He replies with tongue firmly planted in cheek) Methinks you just need a better DAC in your rig, FF !

In all seriousness, I'll never believe that analogue is superior to digital or vice versa. They are different mediums with different advantages. Assuming your source is good, I believe you can get great results from either. I think it's great that EH puts out quality pressings of Jimi's catalogue, I just wish they'd jump on the high res bandwagon already and start putting out some high quality digital stuff. The 48 KHz/24 bit audio of the 30-May-70 late show from the Jimi Plays Berkeley Blu Ray sounds great on my rig! I suppose this sould be a discussion for a separate thread!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    RSD is just a last ditch commercial ploy of a dying industry. If it's not unique material unavailable anywhere else, or it's a fucking amazing quality improvement, it's a waste of space. Couldn't give a toss what medium its on - it will end up digital which suits me. Vinyl is stone-age shit (as are digital discs), just the usual noise from static, poor pressing or whatever, or one click and it's ruined. Their only advantage was the 12" cover which was handy for skinning up
    I have to (reluctantly) agree with STPLSD here, in the sense that I wanted to like RSD, but now I'm more indifferent/close to feeling hostile about it. On the one hand, it's like Christmas sales wise for my local shop, so it's hard to argue with the result and I'm very happy for them. On the flip side, as a digital physical media producer, RSD and unfortunately my local shop have all but abandoned me for the vinyl resurgence. While it's disappointing for me personally, it's a business decision and I have to recognize that for what it is. There are a lot of collectors out there waiting to buy the myriad of (IMO) gimmicky vinyl releases (I'm thinking the 7" or 10" picture discs of non-rare audio priced at $17 to $20 each) released alongside truly rare and/or long out of print items, and that keeps the whole thing afloat, I'm sure. The sad thing to me (and I can't think of a way to solve this problem) is that the fans and the local shops often lose out. The releases are scarce (demand often outweighs the number of items pressed) and it's a complete crapshoot as to whether or not your local shop will even get a copy. Shops lose out as if they are caught trying to sell these items online, they will lose the privilege of receiving future RSD items. What often happens is copies get scooped up and flipped on eBay for many times what they sold for initially. Again, it started with great intent, but I haven't personally liked where the event has headed for a while now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    (He replies with tongue firmly planted in cheek) Methinks you just need a better DAC in your rig, FF !

In all seriousness, I'll never believe that analogue is superior to digital or vice versa. They are different mediums with different advantages. Assuming your source is good, I believe you can get great results from either. I think it's great that EH puts out quality pressings of Jimi's catalogue, I just wish they'd jump on the high res bandwagon already and start putting out some high quality digital stuff. The 48 KHz/24 bit audio of the 30-May-70 late show from the Jimi Plays Berkeley Blu Ray sounds great on my rig! I suppose this sould be a discussion for a separate thread!
    All I'll say, without tongue in cheek :-) Jeff, show me a digital copy of this Newbury Comics ELL that sounds as good and I'll swap out my analogue set up for a digital set up :-)

Its amazing just what a different pressing plant can bring to a record it seems. This Newbury should sound exactly as the 2010 black Legacy pressing but it certainly does not.

After rating the Legacy recently as less than average [despite the great detail apparent in the pressing it was all treble and the record suffered from serious sibilance ] I put the Newbury on and it sparkles. Hey, just were did the bass come from? What sibilance? as good as it gets and is easily, yes easily the best copy I have ever heard in any format. I just swapped out my Chord Cadenza interconnect for an LFD silver reference. It made the 2010 black ELL unlistenable and the Newbury blue shine even more!

But its not just about the set up or even if one format is more superior to another format, I have heard very good digital set ups with quality DAC's. Regardless of DAC and file size I generally can hear digital and that is not the sound I like. As I have a choice I go for analogue, the more analogue in the chain the better.

As for one click and its ruined, well that as some say is a load of pish, ha ha.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    I have to (reluctantly) agree with STPLSD here, in the sense that I wanted to like RSD, but now I'm more indifferent/close to feeling hostile about it. On the one hand, it's like Christmas sales wise for my local shop, so it's hard to argue with the result and I'm very happy for them. On the flip side, as a digital physical media producer, RSD and unfortunately my local shop have all but abandoned me for the vinyl resurgence. While it's disappointing for me personally, it's a business decision and I have to recognize that for what it is. There are a lot of collectors out there waiting to buy the myriad of (IMO) gimmicky vinyl releases (I'm thinking the 7" or 10" picture discs of non-rare audio priced at $17 to $20 each) released alongside truly rare and/or long out of print items, and that keeps the whole thing afloat, I'm sure. The sad thing to me (and I can't think of a way to solve this problem) is that the fans and the local shops often lose out. The releases are scarce (demand often outweighs the number of items pressed) and it's a complete crapshoot as to whether or not your local shop will even get a copy. Shops lose out as if they are caught trying to sell these items online, they will lose the privilege of receiving future RSD items. What often happens is copies get scooped up and flipped on eBay for many times what they sold for initially. Again, it started with great intent, but I haven't personally liked where the event has headed for a while now.
    RSD? A load of even more pish 'coz its nothing more than corporate pish! ha ha.

The endless re issues are tiresome for fans and using RSD to re issue a record is doubly annoying as this [DAY] could be used to highlight so many great recordings that we have yet to hear. That it is hoped that we get a digital released and correctly mastered SH is possibly the best thing we can hope for following this years RSD.

Thanks

All I'll say, without tongue in cheek :-) Jeff, show me a digital copy of this Newbury Comics ELL that sounds as good and I'll swap out my analogue set up for a digital set up :-)
    That's part of my annoyance; EH refuses to sell one ! The cynical part of me suspects they'll wait until after the Sony deal is over before doing the digital core catalog right, which is a shame. They're leaving money on the table as far as I'm concerned.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:

Thanks

When is the Sony deal over?
    Is the microphone on?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyder52 View Post
    When is the Sony deal over?