Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Next Release?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,760 Times in 1,003 Posts

Re: Next Release?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezy Rider View Post
    My bet is RAH, the soundtrack

PS on the EH facebook page, there is a third picture of two reels turning, and the right reel has a sticker with a date on it, but upside down. Who can read it? It also has "James" (?) written on it.

https://www.facebook.com/JimiHendrix...type=3&theater

It could be a stock image just used for the article and have nothing to do with Hendrix.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,148 Times in 657 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRadio View Post
    It could be a stock image just used for the article and have nothing to do with Hendrix.
    the FB post was a tease: "look at what we are working on!" and then post a stock image?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If you look at the box on the right it clearly says "New...." and then is cut off. To me this indicates Newport or possibly it simply is a new reel they have and have labled as such. Regardless
    Good to know something is coming.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Yeah, very handy those covers

Maybe you should have a listen to a well set up TT / HiFi with a clean record and styli!

An example of "a fucking amazing quality improvement"? Well we can start with the recent Newbury Comics "gimmick" blue vinyl Electric Ladyland. Never heard a digital release sound as good, a Hirez files is no closer and this pressing is about as good as I have heard the recording in close to 49 years :-)

Nice to hear ff. Are you sure the new pressing is that good? Or did you have one of those plays where everything just came off right. Record cleaned properly, air felt right, your own state of mind etc.... You know what I'm talking about I think... One of those plays where everything just falls into place. As much as I love analog with vinyl each play may be a little bit different. (Or a lot of bit) because there are just so many hardware and envronmental variables that come into play when listening. One thing you can say is digital is more consistent for playback. I do know that at least to date I rarely enjoy digital more. I am warming up to blu ray audio though and even with a system not taking full advantage of the medium (yet) I am impressed with several that I have.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,998 Times in 855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    Nice to hear ff. Are you sure the new pressing is that good? Or did you have one of those plays where everything just came off right. Record cleaned properly, air felt right, your own state of mind etc.... You know what I'm talking about I think... One of those plays where everything just falls into place. As much as I love analog with vinyl each play may be a little bit different. (Or a lot of bit) because there are just so many hardware and envronmental variables that come into play when listening. One thing you can say is digital is more consistent for playback. I do know that at least to date I rarely enjoy digital more. I am warming up to blu ray audio though and even with a system not taking full advantage of the medium (yet) I am impressed with several that I have.
    Blu ray needs the right equipment to get the best out of it plus it has to be mastered correctly. If its mastered too "hot" it is pointless! An example is some of the early Jimi disc's.

Newbury Comics have put out three Jimi titles. AYE on purple vinyl, ABAL on orange and this ELL on blue.
    AYE and ELL are easily head and shoulders above ANY AND ALL my other copies of these titles.

I have played both titles on generally the same set up but with different interconnect cabling along the way. Ranging from cheap to mid price to expensive [never with serious expensive yet tho'!] and these titles play exceptionally well right through that range. Cleaned or uncleaned, they play exceptionally well. The Newbury Comics AYE and ELL are the only pressings of these titles I play for pleasure. I have on loan a pair of LFD interconnect cables right now [700 new], never heard the record sound so good. With these cables I'm hearing Dylan's voice like never before. Detail in recordings that I am familiar with which I never noticed or only heard on way expensive set up's at the dealers!
    In theory, these titles should be no different to the 2010 copies but they are. AYE is noticeably better while the ELL from 2010 is poor by any standard the Newbury [same dated cover btw] is mind bogglingly so much better. The RTI ELL is terrible and the more I improved the set up the more the issues became apparent. With a set up that does not allow for a great depth of insight into the recording the 2010's work ok, especially with a set up that is leaning on the bass heavy side. Otherwise I'd steer clear of those original Legacy copies of Ladyland.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So what's wrong with Newburys ABAL?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rainflower View Post
    So what's wrong with Newburys ABAL?
    Nothing!

It sounds exactly the same as the recent ABAL black vinyl to me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

FF what don't you like about the Electric Ladyland 2010 Legacy pressing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    FF what don't you like about the Electric Ladyland 2010 Legacy pressing?
    Initially I though it was ok though a little "bright", lacking depth and some real "wack" to the over all sound. A nice open and revealing pressing if not to everyones taste!
    Then when I really took a close listen [up against the MCA] I found that the Legacy 2010 suffered from a lot of sibilance. I had not really noticed just how badly this was impacting the record at first, maybe a change in the interconnect helped reveal this. The MCA by comparison touched on sibilance but nowhere near as much plus the MCA had the missing bass weight to a degree.

While the Newbury, which is really a re issue of the 2010 Legacy DOES not suffer from sibilance at all [remarkable as there is so much on the 2010], has plenty of bass and sounds so much better overall.

The only difference with the AYE Newbury and the Legacy black is that it appears that a new stamper was used and we now know that EH swapped out RTI for QRP when it came to pressing records, in 2011. These same differences apply for the recent ELL from Newbury.

BTW, I'm not anti digital. I do really have a digital set up as a second system and it does perform really well. I try to use Hirez whenever I can but that is not always possible of course.

Thanks

Agree in general that QRP is putting out consistently better pressings than RTI for all artists. There are always exceptions of course but I am glad Hendrix material is consistently coming out of QRP now. Who would have thought we would ever be saying better records are coming out of Kanas than Los Angelas which is where the heart of the music industry is supposed to be.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 554 Posts

TOMORROW I will start a new thread about an incredible new album featuring members of Jimi's bands and various legendary fusion and funk musicians!
    Stay tuned, stay free!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purple jim For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    TOMORROW I will start a new thread about an incredible new album featuring members of Jimi's bands and various legendary fusion and funk musicians!
    Stay tuned, stay free!

Its nearly TOMORROW :-)

Thanks

A Dagger release and a Maui Docu' on the cards in 2017.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Make this happen

2017 50th Anniversary Editions of Are You Experienced & Axis Bold As Love
    Complete with Mono Mix, remixed tracks, outtakes & a BluRay in HD and 5.1 mixes with a booklet with rare pics and good written material on sessions etc

Look at the Pink Floyd box, pigs can fly

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ranasakawa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Can they just release Black Gold for the love of God. We've heard everything else they throw at us...

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to uncle carmi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uncle carmi View Post
    Can they just release Black Gold for the love of God. We've heard everything else they throw at us...
    Please no, I think it would be a major disappointment, keep it legendary by not releasing it. I'd rather have the myth.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to deek57 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deek57 View Post
    Please no, I think it would be a major disappointment, keep it legendary by not releasing it. I'd rather have the myth.
    Major disappointment?? Have you seen some of the stuff released? I've listened to every take of every song and every concert at this point. I don't care. I will enjoy it and the fact it has never before heard songs on it. Plus nobody is saying it's "Legendary" as far as some brilliant performance. It's "Legendary" because it hasn't ever been heard. There's absolutely nothing that can be officially released or unofficially released that hasn't already been a major disappointment in the past. Nothing on there is gonna be bad. I've heard some pretty shaky shit from Hendrix where he's jamming in the studio, probably fucked up and it's not exactly orderly or even musical at times. I've heard him at his best and his absolute worst. There's nothing that could possibly be released that could damage his "legacy" at this point.
    Last edited by uncle carmi; 02-11-17 at 12:05 PM.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to uncle carmi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Although I really am looking forward to the Maui release - (that version of Villanova Junction is perhaps my most favorite) - seeing how this is the 5Oth anniversary of "Are You Experienced" , they should do something special like The Doors are doing with their first release. (they must have some takes or tracks we have not heard yet like on WCSB) - Mono version on CD/LP as an extra disc, etc. What's your ideas? EH should do something, no?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Would love to see a proper 50th anniversary "super deluxe" set.

My ideas:

5 Disc Super Deluxe Boxed Set

Disc 1 - Album Remastered From The Original Tapes
    Disc 2 - Mono Mix Of Album
    Disc 3 - Rarities Disc Including An "Alternate Album" Made With Never Released Takes Of The Album Songs + Unreleased Bonus Songs/Jams
    Disc 4 - Unreleased Live Show From The AYE Era
    Disc 5 - Bluray Audio Mix Of Stereo & Mono Album Mixes

Also included would be a thick hardcover book the size of an LP with tons of pictures, stories, interviews, memorabilia photos, etc related to the album. Have the discs displayed in a LP style enclosure that has the original vinyl album cover.

This would basically be the definitive statement on the album. So many artists have done things like this Zepplin, McCartney, Nirvana, etc. Dream scenario for us, but completely doable. However, the estate is going to handle everything how they want and it's not always to the pleasure of us fans. They would be missing a big opportunity here though - you only celebrate 50 years, which is a real milestone, once.

Wish I could get in there and be catalog manager for 5 years. I would make sure to put together some amazing releases that would sell!

Chris Elliott

Quote Originally Posted by ranasakawa View Post
    Make this happen

2017 50th Anniversary Editions of Are You Experienced & Axis Bold As Love
    Complete with Mono Mix, remixed tracks, outtakes & a BluRay in HD and 5.1 mixes with a booklet with rare pics and good written material on sessions etc

Look at the Pink Floyd box, pigs can fly
    I own every CD release Experience Hendrix has ever put out including singles, boxed sets, special editions, live performances, and Dagger releases. I love making my own contextual mixes such as First Rays mixes based on Jimi's hand written track-lists, and the one I'm currently working on, a compilation of all of the material Jimi and Stephen Stills put together.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mccflo99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mccflo99 View Post
    Would love to see a proper 50th anniversary "super deluxe" set.

My ideas:

5 Disc Super Deluxe Boxed Set

Disc 1 - Album Remastered From The Original Tapes
    Disc 2 - Mono Mix Of Album
    Disc 3 - Rarities Disc Including An "Alternate Album" Made With Never Released Takes Of The Album Songs + Unreleased Bonus Songs/Jams
    Disc 4 - Unreleased Live Show From The AYE Era
    Disc 5 - Bluray Audio Mix Of Stereo & Mono Album Mixes

Also included would be a thick hardcover book the size of an LP with tons of pictures, stories, interviews, memorabilia photos, etc related to the album. Have the discs displayed in a LP style enclosure that has the original vinyl album cover.

This would basically be the definitive statement on the album. So many artists have done things like this Zepplin, McCartney, Nirvana, etc. Dream scenario for us, but completely doable. However, the estate is going to handle everything how they want and it's not always to the pleasure of us fans. They would be missing a big opportunity here though - you only celebrate 50 years, which is a real milestone, once.

Wish I could get in there and be catalog manager for 5 years. I would make sure to put together some amazing releases that would sell!

Chris Elliott
    I honestly wonder how much other stuff from 'Are You Experienced' and 'Axis Bold As Love' is left unreleased. Especially with these two albums I don't think there was a whole lot of time for experimentation. Chas wanted them to bang out songs quickly. It doesn't seem like there was a lot of writing in the studio going on, like later when Chas left. Time was money.