"Hendrix and heroin?" Yes please
    lol....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Summerisle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,161 Times in 1,599 Posts

Re: Hendrix and Heroin?

BRIAN AUGER INTERVIEW

Jim: What about "Elecric Ladyland" ?

Brian: Yeah, well I hadn't really seen Jimi for a while when that one came out. I started to hear things. Things about him smashing up hotel rooms, beating women and stuff, and I went, wow, wait a minute, what's going on here! This doesn't sound like the Jimi I know. I thought, is this all publicity or what? Then I started to realise that there were a lot of drugs involved and that things weren't the way that they should be.
    This kind of progressed until in 1970 when I was in New York and I got a call from John McLaughlin who had just made the "Devotion" album and it was being produced by Alan Douglas. So I went along to hear that and I was in the studio. Alan Douglas and his engineer were doing the mix (John wasn't there at the time) but the door opened at one point and in came Jimi! And Jimi said "Hey Brian!" You know, we hadn't seen each other for a couple of years maybe, or almost. First of all he was listening to this mix and Alan Douglas and the engineer were so rude to Jimi at the time. It was very arrogant, like "This is the new guy and you're finished", that kind of attitude and that really got up my nose, you know. So, I said let's step outside a minute. So when I get outside, he and his girlfriend are there and I could see the physical condition that Jimi was in. His skin had a kind of grey tinge to it, in fact both of them did, and I thought, what the hell is going on here! Anyway, he was very happy to see me and he said 'You've gotta come and see my studio tomorrow" (Electric Lady Studios) and then he rolled out some silver paper which he opened up and he snorted what was obviously heroin. He was going to offer it to his girlfriend who was obviously using the same stuff, and then he said, "Oh, I'm so sorry Brian, here" and he wanted to hand it to me and I said, woho! wait a minute a minute Jimi, I don't use any of that stuff and you've got to stop using it, look at you! Then he said something to me at that point that I'll never forget, he said "Do you know what Brian? I need a lot more people round me like you." Stunning. Then he asked what I was doing over the next couple of months and I said that I had a lot of stuff booked with The Trinity. And he said, can you get out of it, and can you make the next album with me ? And I thought, there's no way that I can cancel all the contractual stuff without being sued from here to eternity (laughs). So I said I'd loved to but I can't get out of it, but if you still haven't started after the summer time, maybe at that point we could schedule it. Then Jimi departed and I went back into the studio (waiting for John) and I said to Alan Douglas, "Jimi's just asked me to make an album with him, what do you think" and he sort of said "Well, if you've got three or four months maybe you'll get it done" and I thought oh well, it doesn't look like that's going to be on the horizon. I think Stevie Winwood ended up on the album.
    So, I went the next day and I hung out in the studio with him and he played me some of the stuff…and he'd just go in and jam at night and maybe some of those things were phenomenal. Then I left the next day to go on to different gigs in the States and that was the last time I spoke to Jimi.

Jim: Where were you when you heard about his death?

Brian: I think I was in London and I really couldn't believe it. I thought, man, that is such a waste of the most incredible talent. There were a lot of people who hit the skids at that time through messing with the same stuff.

Link - http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-oran...rian_auger.htm

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 540 Posts

Yeah, seen that before. It's not hard to draw the conclusion that Jimi really had a heroin problem in 1970, but some fans find that hard to take.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,161 Times in 1,599 Posts

MARK FARNER OF GRAND FUNK RAILROAD

We did some top festivals together. We did Randall’s Island together. And at Randall’s Island, Jimi’s right-hand man, nicknamed Rabbit, came over to my dressing room and I was the only one in there. We had just got offstage and Rabbit says to me, “Jimi wants you to come over to his dressing room, come on over when you get some clothes on.”

So I go there and Rabbit’s standing there waiting for me and we go in and I’m just bullshittin’ with Jimi and I look over and these guys – I didn’t know what this stuff was but I knew I didn’t want any. It looked like snowdrifts. I’d never done this shit. I said, “I can’t do that, man.” He says, “Well, all right, you ain’t never done it before, just do the end of my knife blade.”

He flicks his switchblade open, sticks it into the snowdrift and I do one tip of that blade in one nostril and holy shit, I ’bout came apart. Oh man. Jimi had to go onstage so I had to book. I didn’t realize what it was but it was cocaine and heroin mixed. And that’s what he did just before he went on stage. And he sucked. He couldn’t find the neck of his guitar.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,710 Times in 307 Posts

Interesting post thanks...There seems to be a number of independent anecdotes about the coke/heroin mix he was doing in 1970...Although sometimes unreliable narration too - he didn't suck at Randalls Is as we know. Not his best - Red House aside - but very far from "sucking"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,464 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by funkydrummer View Post
    Interesting post thanks...
    ...but it's really just another self righteous twat who assumed jh died of a heroin overdose that's half read a couple of 'books' and rewritten Noel's tale with what he thinks is a little more spice and 'starring' himself
    Last edited by stplsd; 12-12-17 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,710 Times in 307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    ...but it's really just another self righteous twat who assumed jh died of a heroin overdose that's half read a couple of 'books' and rewritten Noel's tale with what he thinks is a little more spice and 'starring' himself
    Maybe...that is always a possibility...I do think that it is a bit naive to think that someone who was in a relationship with a user did not partake, and that he was totally immune. In 1969 John Lennon, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton and even to a very limited extent Paul McCartney dabbled with smack among countless others. Why not Jimi? Of course his recollection of Randalls Island is incorrect so that does undermine his story somewhat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by funkydrummer View Post
    I do think that it is a bit naive to think that someone who was in a relationship with a user did not partake.
    One could state the opposite just as readily
    Whatever. I'm not saying Jimi did not smoke/snort class A's often enough to suffer quite bad withdrawal symptoms on occasion, there is enough circumstantial evidence to make it seem more than likely (as I have said for years), especially on his last European visit, but so what?
    Last edited by stplsd; 12-23-17 at 03:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 540 Posts

One could state the opposite just as readily
    Whatever. I'm not saying Jimi did not smoke/snort class A's often enough to suffer quite bad withdrawal, there is enough circumstantial evidence to make it seem more than likely (as I have said for years), especially on his last European visit, but so what?
    I've also made that point to quite deaf ears; heroin withdrawal would explain a lot of what went on during the last European tour.

Thanks

Yes Devon Wilson was a heavy user and it seems Jimi would do it with her. It's hard to know how much he was taking and how regularly. I don't think he was taking it as much as her but who knows? There are the revealing anecdotes from Brian Auger and Noel Redding and few others about him mixing Coke/heroin but then again was it everyday like a serious addict? I believe he did take it now and then but Hendrix couldn't have performed or recorded that much if he was on heroin as heroin makes you tired and sleepy. Eric Burdon said he does not relate heroin use at all to Hendrix saying that Hendrix was into Acid like a lot of the rock stars of the day. Then again Burdon also admitted that he didn't see much of Hendrix after 1968 so he would have not seen him taking heroin. There are several anecdotes in the last weeks of Hendrix taking acid and mandraxand amphetamines. Amphetamines were found in his autopsy but not heroin.

Thanks

Post Re: Hendrix and Heroin?

Quote Originally Posted by sidesofthesky View Post
    Eric Burdon said he does not relate heroin use at all to Hendrix saying that Hendrix was into Acid like a lot of the rock stars of the day. Then again Burdon also admitted that he didn't see much of Hendrix after 1968 so he would have not seen him taking heroin
    What people need to be aware of is that Burdon has always​ just talked the essence of shit, he thinks he's writing a movie script every time he opens his gob

That is NOT what Burdon said. He merely said he found it 'difficult', it is blatant what he meant, not even ambiguous if English-English is your first language. Saying you find something 'difficult' to accept is not saying you can't/don't/won't accept it/that is wrong/not correct/you don't believe it. It is saying you accept it, but 'with difficulty' - ie 'okay, but I don't like it'. He did not contradict the man when he wrongly accused JH of dying from a heroin overdose, he let it roll when he knows fine well he did not die from heroin. He "associates" Hendrix with LSD' ie 'when I think of him it is in connection with LSD.' [insinuating but unspoken: 'I wasn't around when he was doing heroin']
    You have obviously not read much Burdon. I suggest you enlighten yourself before referring to any of the shit he spouts as if it is in anyway acceptable

The amphetamine was a tiny amount and had nothing to do with his death and neither did the small amount of alcohol found (more than likely mostly produced by decomposition). It was totally 100% due to a barbiturate overdose, but not necessarily a fatal one, if he had not inhaled his vomit. One he may well have survived if it had been noticed earlier, acted on promptly (but life does not work that way, the average joe is not a trained medic) and possibly treated more professionally by the crew, who were not trained or equipped up to the task in those days it seems.
    Last edited by stplsd; 12-24-17 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks

The amphetamine was a tiny amount and had nothing to do with his death and neither did the small amount of alcohol found (more than likely mostly produced by decomposition). It was totally 100% due to a barbiturate overdose, but not necessarily a fatal one, if he had not inhaled his vomit. One he may well have survived if it had been noticed earlier, acted on promptly (but life does not work that way, the average joe is not a trained medic) and possibly treated more professionally by the crew, who were not trained or equipped up to the task in those days it seems.
    Isn't it accepted now that he was pretty much stone dead when the medics arrived? I'm sure they tried all they could, if Dr. Bob Brown said Hendrix was long gone (hours) when he arrived at the hospital that's good enough for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BobJahBob View Post
    Isn't it accepted now that he was pretty much stone dead when the medics arrived?
    No. You would need to some reading if you are actually interested

Thanks

No. You would need to some reading if you are actually interested
    Yea I've done a fair bit of reading but we all bow to you who apparently is the self appointed expert on everything pertaining to Hendrix.. on second thoughts I think I'll take the word of the Medics, Police & a Doctor who went on to become the leader of the Australian Green Party over you if that's OK ? Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BobJahBob View Post
    Yea I've done a fair bit of reading
    If you read a bit more you would realise that its not generally "accepted now that he was pretty much stone dead when the medics arrived?"
    That's just one "accepted" scenario. It just depends which stories and facts you find most convincing