Thread: 1967-01-19 Top Of The Pops broadcast, BBC 1 TV, UK

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

1967-01-19 Top Of The Pops broadcast, BBC 1 TV, UK

Thursday 19 January 1967 ‘Top Of The Pops’, BBC Lime Grove Studio, London. JHE
    with the Ladybirds on backing vocals? (Maggie Stredder, Marian Davies, Gloria George?/ Barbara Moore? See 29-12-66).
    Prior to the show that day fans could have read puff pieces/reviews/adverts about Jimi in the pop press.
    Broadcast on BBC 1 TV, recorded performance of Hey Joe (Billy Roberts) from 18 January. Live, or mimed instruments to backing track of 45 with live vocals?
    BBC TOTP chart @ No. 13
    With:
    The Four Tops - Standing In The Shadows Of Love [Repeat Performance]
    Wayne Fontana - Pamela Pamela [Performance]
    The Tremeloes - Here Comes My Baby [Repeat Performance]
    The Searchers - Popcorn Double Feature [Performance]
    The Move - Night Of Fear [Performance]
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Hey Joe [“Repeat Performance”??]
    Georgie Fame - Sitting In The Park [Performance]
    Cat Stevens - Matthew & Son [Performance]
    The Monkees - I'm A Believer [Promo Video]
    Presenter: (ex Radio Luxembourg DJ) Alan ‘Fluff’ Freeman
    Producer: Stanley Dorfman.
    Director: Johnny Pearson

No known recording or film survives, nor even any known photographs from this session!
    Photos originally thought to have been from this have been established as being from the 29-12-66 session.

Thursday 19 January 1967
    UK
    DISC & MUSIC ECHO (page ?), ‘BY JIMI-NI! THIS MAN’S NOT ONLY EATING HIS GUITAR, HE’S PLAYING IT…’ [photo of Jimi ‘eating’ his guitar from TOTPs ‘66?] by Mike Ledgerwood: “THIS MAN is Jimi Hendrix. And he’s not eating his guitar – just playing it with his teeth.
    Jimi set the swinging London club scene alight last week [11 January] with a stage act that left pop's top names on their feet shouting for more. In the audience at the Bag O' Nails, rapidly becoming the new “In” club in town, was a galaxy of stars including BEATLES Paul and Ringo with Brian Epstein, ROLLING STONE Bill Wyman, HOLLIES Allan Clarke and Bobby Elliott, WHO'S Pete Townshend and John Entwistle. CREAM'S Eric Clapton, Lulu, Small Faces, Donovan, Fourmost, Eric Burdon's Animals, Georgie Fame, Geno Washington, DJs Chris Denning [who the f’ was he?! Ed.]and Tony Hall and ex-Moody Blues singer Denny Laine. Jimi Hendrix is the Greenwich Village discovery of original Animal Chas Chandler, whose experienced eye spotted obvious star quality in thisgiant[NOT! Ed.] coloured American. Last week he was booked into the “Bag” and stars flocked to see him. It was certainly a night to remember. Jimi did two spots of powerful, full-blooded blues which produced some amazing sounds and guitar gymnastics. He looks set to become one of the brightest stars of '67.”
    (Page?) [title?] [obtained a statement from publicist Dick Katz on Tuesday 17 January 1967 stating that Jimi’s follow-up single to ‘Hey Joe’ was already recorded.] [actual text?]
    (Page ?) Top 50:
    wk
    03-15-10. Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix Experience
    (Page?) ‘ME’ Eric Clapton talks to Mike Ledgerwood: [...] LIKES: Hair. I like Dylan’s hair. And Jimi Hendrix. Hair that doesn’t look like hair. Looks more like flames [see ‘Highway Chile’ lyrics Ed.]. I also like animals.
    (Page?) [B&W photo, ‘• Roy Wood’] ‘Hit Talk’ By Roy Wood of the Move: I'm surprised Jimi Hendrix's has sold so many—though he's just ridiculous [ie ‘excellent’. Ed.]. I don't think it will be a big hit.
    I like the Cream's—and I don't blame them for going commercial.

Thursday 19 January 1967
    UK
    MELODY MAKER (page 8) [B&W photo of Jimi at the Saville, grinning, with his guitar under his chin. ‘HENDRIX: spotted in Greenwich Village.’] “Hendrix—On the Crest of a Fave Rave” by Nick Jones: ALTHOUGH things are happening all around Jimi Hendrix — he doesn't choose to see them. It's all down to being cool. No pre-hatch counting of chickens. Don't believe it until you see it.
    It's just a drag to be called "in" or a "fave rave". Even "an emergent star whose success could reach momentous proportions in no time at all". He won't believe he's happened — until he's happened. He's just going to make it happen — very, very quickly.
    He possesses the aura of a man who has seen and been through a lot of life. His own started in Seattle, Washington, in 1945, and took off from there. Tenements, rats and cockroaches, poverty, colour prejudice, hitching around the South, the occasional gig. Eventually he joined a blues tour but was soon penniless again.
    A trip to the West Coast, back to New York, another group, then his own group. Finally came Greenwich Village — the resting place for a weary voyager.
    In the Village the fairy tale began. Jimi was spotted by Chas Chandler and Mike Jeffrey "Come to England”, said they.
    How was Hendrix persuaded, "I didn't have no roots in the States that would hang me up. It don't matter which bit of the world I'm in as long as I'm living and putting things down.”
    Seeing the Jimi Hendrix Experience is just that—an experience. Jimi caresses his solid guitar with great respect. He rolls his head, looks to the sky, smiles to himself and darts in and out of the quivering sound. On stage Hendrix takes over. It's flying music. Love and freedom. Body, soul, funk, feeling, feedback and freak.
    CREATE
    The Hendrix sound is what England hasn't yet evolved — but desperately needs. It's a weaving, twitching, kaleidoscope of tremor and vibration, dischords and progressions that give Hendrix the kind of colour few artists have ever achieved.
    He has a sad — almost Dylanish air — and sings of "going down to Mexico where, I know, man can be free,”' and he looks as if he really does know. Coupled with the gyrations, the emotion, the power, and the beauty its the kind of music that will make you sweat.
    "It's the way we feel. We're trying to create. Our own music, personal sound and our own personal being. Our music is improvisation. No number is the same twice. While we were working on ‘Hey Joe’ from the be*ginning to the recording session, I don't think we played it the same way once. But that was some time ago. "We all dug ‘Hey Joe’ as a number, that was in October, so we put it down on record.”
    NATURAL
    The Experience are a mixed bunch — on paper, theoretically, they would never mix. In fact the combination sets into a natural gell.[Mitch’s critical verdict on ‘GS&R’ was that they just didn’t “gell” after weeks of playing together. Ed.]
    On drums is 19-year-old Mitch Mitchell, a sensuous thunder machine sounding like Keith Moon and Elvin Jones. Full of confidence and technique plus an understanding of dynamics, which is vital.
    Noel Redding, a 21-year-old ex-art student plays the solid bass line behind Jimi's cutting, yet lyrical, guitar work.
    BLUESMAN
    Jimi is a bluesman, Mitch a jazz man, and Noel a rock and roller. They are three pretty extraordinary guys led by one of the best guitarists this country has ever seen.
    Hendrix knows his own limitations. A quiet wise man who won't acknowledge that deceptive glitter of forthcoming success until he's seen it through his own eyes. You'll be hearing and seeing a lot more of the Jimi Hendrix Experience.
    It's a big sound, a big scene that you mustn't run away from — go and find out for your*self.
    (Pages 16-17) Ads for Live Performances by The Jimi Hendrix Experience [details?]
    (Page?) Melody Maker’s Pop 50:
    wk
    03-26-17. Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
    (Page?) [Advert] ‘The Upper Cut’, London: “THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE The American Top Soul Singer and guitarist extraordinary. Gentlemen 8/6d. Ladies. 7/6d.”
    [This club was owned by ex-boxer Billy Walker hence the name. Ed.]

Thursday 19 January 1967
    UK
    RECORD MIRROR (page?) Top 50 [from Record Retailer]:
    wk
    04-32-16. Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
    [Psyche ‘floating heads’ photo ad, handwritten text] ‘Jimi Hendrix Experience Hey Joe – Stone Free. ‘Polydor 56 139’ [logo]
    Last edited by stplsd; 04-04-16 at 07:18 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: