Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jimi Hendrix/Johnny Hallyday

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 559 Posts

Re: Jimi Hendrix/Johnny Hallyday

From the book "Destroy 2000" by Johnny Hallyday himself.
    So for Johnny it was:
    - Thursday 13 October at Evreux ;
    - Friday 14 at Nancy ;
    - Saturday 15 at Reims ;
    - Sunday 16 at Luxembourg ;
    - Tuesday 18 at Paris.

and "he played "Rock Me Baby", "Have Mercy", "Land Of A Thousand Danses and "In The Midnight Hour" where he took off his shirt and smashed his guitar".

Thanks

Caesar Glebeek mailed me to say that he did in-depth research on the subject of Luxembourg some years back and found absolutely nothing to confirm a concert there.
    It was obviously simply Villerupt.
    I don't know what Reims is doing in there.
    Johnny's word certainly can't be trusted, he is well known for his lousy memory and exaggerations.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 2,462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    Johnny's word certainly can't be trusted, he is well known for his lousy memory and exaggerations.
    As are most people in the 'rock' / 'beat' world, really, especially after such a long, wild time, & even at the time as everyone was living for the day if not tomorrow! Noel's knowledge of France at the time would have been rudimentary and being so close to the border may well have seen signposts to Luxembourg just prior to their arrival in Villerupt. Johnny may well have got his information from Noel via his diary ... etc... Where did Reims come from though? and the interesting article you gave us seems to have got much of it's info from Johnny's book?
    Tchoo Tchoo gig? - Possible?
    Paris Whiskey?

Great research, articles, photos, interview though, please keep it going, most important, the 'French connection' is quit poorly researched/represented (outside of France?) considering it's importance to Jimi's story.

There also appears to be some kind of connection via Poland & possibly Chekoslovakia via Barclay records?
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-19-10 at 04:32 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Bernard Eyl did go back to the regional archives to find these reviews of the Villerupt gig. So thanks to him again:

(Ayler has already posted this in the 60s/70s newspaper articles section).

Thanks

Tommy Hemdrix!
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Here are my translations:

"Of the two parts of the show, the first was the "calmest". Long Chris openned the show, followed by a black man, Tommy Hemdrix, who, after a bit of trouble with his guitar strap, put on a good display, contorsioning then playing his instrument…with his teeth."

"Long Chris, who fancies himself as a redeemer, was whistled as he played his folk songs. It was just too soft. On the other hand, the crowd were won over when a certain Jimmy, an American looking like a Papuan, discovered by Johnny in a London suburb, put on a quite remarkable display on guitar. Not satisfied with playing the guitar behind his back, the "virtuose" went on to play with his teeth. He must have been hungrier the night before at Nancy where he broke a string as he began his performance. But that didn't stop him…
    "My head's pounding!" said a technicien. Attracted by the noise, a crowd had gathered in front of the town hall. The concert could also be heard from the balconies of the nearby council flats."

Thanks

Check this out. A Johnny Halliday EP autographed by Jimi, Mitch and Noel in a café on Place Stanislas, Nancy before their second ever show at the Rio cinema.

Source : Jukebox Magazine
    ... and a big thank you to Yazid Manou for all this!!!

Thanks

Here's a translation of Yazid's above article for Jukebox Magazine:

To begin with, it's a classic story: two young girls, Jocelyne D. and her sister go to see the Johnny Halliday concert at the Rio cinema in Nancy on October 14th, 1966. Under her arm, Jocelyne has an E.P. by her idol: "Je L'Aime". The idea is to get the record autographed by Johnny.
    After the concert, the girls head for place Stanislas because they have been told that the musicians are in a café there. When they arrive, they do find Long Chris and Micky Jones. However, to their surprise, also present are one of the support acts for the tour: The Jimi Hendrix Experience and their manager Chas Chandler. This had been the band's second ever concert, after Eveux the night before. Unfortunately Johnny is not around but a determined Jocelyne obtains the autographs of all the musicians present!
    This is the first time we have had the chance to see this windfall of autographs and they are on a Johnny Halliday record! Do you realise: Jimi Hendrix, Noel Redding, Mitch Mitchell, Chas Chandler, Long Chris and Micky Jones! At the top of the sleeve, Jocelyne has written her name and Jimi Hendrix did the same (as did Redding). Jimi put a little heart and "Love" whereas Noel added "Bass". The four others signed with bold signatures. One little anecdote, apparently randy young Jimi asked for a kiss but Jocelyne refused because he had acne!
    In October 2010, Jocelyne's daughter Valérie contacted me in order to get an evaluation for this little treasure before putting it up for auction. I couldn't possibly give her an estimate of its worth as it is simply priceless. Never have we seen an autographe of Hendrix on a record by Johnny! Decidedly, there is an historic connection between Jimi Hendrix and Nancy: we already know that first ever photo of The Experience, taken on October 14, 1966 by Jean-Claude Monnet (I possess the black and white original) and in 1993, at the time of Halliday's 50th birthday, we discovered the first filmed images of the Experience taken at a restaurant by Claude Goretta's team (for his documentary "Un Roi Tristee" - A Sad King) fwhich featured the famous smoke-ring blowing competition between Johnny and Jimi. There is still some doubt as to the exact location of this event but Nancy remains the most probable.
    This record must feature the very first autographs of the legendary trio...and how about if we could get Johnny to autograph it, 45 years later!?

Yazid Jimi's Back Manou

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 896 Posts

Thanks for the translation PJ.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Fantastic, many thanks PJ

Thanks

Here's a translation of Yazid's above article for Jukebox Magazine
    Thank you very much purple jim.

YM

Thanks

Hallyday has a new album out which includes a tribute to Jimi titled "A mon ami Jimi Hendrix". In interviews he is trying to make it seem that he and Jimi were very close, inventing all sorts of things.He recently said that Jimi played on his 1964 recording of "Le Pénitencier" ("House Of The Rising Sun"). He needs help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 682 Posts

I think he needs money :-)

Great stuff all this, many thanks everyone!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 539 Posts

Mmmmm get a life, Johnny.

He he, it's wonderful how a great deal of Jimi's pre-fame musician friends claim things in retrospect. "I knew he was a genius man, he was my greatest collaborator, we could have it man." So they put him down for him style of playing and dressing, put him in the background so he would not to upstage their own lesser talents ("play "chink-chink-chink" real quiet on my record, friend!").

Thanks

whereas Noel added "Bass".
    Haha. So typical of Noel I can't help but laugh. Why he agreed to jump on as bass player I will never understand. Amazing he stayed on for as long as he did. Thanks for the translation, all very interesting stuff.
    Let me live my life, the way I want to.

Thanks

Hallyday has a new album out which includes a tribute to Jimi titled [I]"A mon ami Jimi Hendrix".
    The tribute song is titled "Guitar Hero".

YM

Thanks

Breaking News !

Ever since the 1993 discovery of the now famous film sequence of the smoke-ring contest between Jimi et Johnny Hallyday in a smokey room (after one of the concerts of the short French tour of October 1966) the doubt always persisted about the actual date and location of this scene. Was it in Nancy or Paris?
    The film crew that had followed Hallyday was made up of four people: Claude Goretta (director), Raymond Vouillamoz (his assistant). Claude Fléouter (journalist), André Gazut (cameraman) and Michel Parbot (cameraman). They are all still alive and I was able to talk to the first three of those listed.
    In 2006, the director told me, without hesitation, that the scene had taken place in NANCY (October 14th) and this has now been confirmed by Raymond Vouillamoz who also revealed to me another interesting detail. Jimi did not understand why he was not filmed during this tour as he did not know the crew was doing a documentary 'bout Johnny. According to Vouillamoz, Johnny had asked the crew to discretely film 10 minutes of Jimi's show! A 16 mm black and white film was taken with a Coutant camera. The precious reel of film was given directly to Jimi (who feared that it would never be sent on to him). Because the film reel was a negative, Jimi would have had to have it developped back in London.
    So there we have it, a new rumour to verify in relation to this "lost film" (like with the "Axis" tape that Jimi "lost" in a taxi).

YM
    ps : thanks a lot to Purple Jim for the translation !
    Last edited by Yazid Manou; 03-28-11 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 896 Posts

Thanks Yazid.
    Something else to add to the "wants" / "find" list lol
    Great to have the location confirmed, again many thanks for your efforts here.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Yeah, many thanks YM, did anyone confirm it was in Le Grand Hotel, Place Stanislas?:-)
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-28-11 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Yeah, many thanks YM, did anyone confirm it was in Le Grand Hotel, Place Stanislas?:-)
    The images came from Nancy. The musicians were at restaurant in Place Stanislas. Café Foy.

YM