Thread: 1969-06-27 Henry Levitt Arena, Wichita, Kansas *Canceled*

Thanks

1969-06-27 Henry Levitt Arena, Wichita, Kansas *Canceled*

Canceled due to lack of ticket sales. A mini riot developed when people showed up the day of the show to buy tickets only to find out the show had been canceled.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: 1969-06-27 Henry Levitt Arena, Wichita, Kansas *Canceled*

From The Poster Auction at "Heart of Rock and Roll Auctions":

This is an original, blank back/thin paper handbill, used to promote a June 27, 1969 show that featured the Jimi Hendrix Experience. The show took place at the Henry Levitt Arena on the campus of Wichita State University. Due to a lack of advanced ticket sales (which is not uncommon for Wichita...most concert goers just showed up and bought tickets), the Hendrix folks and the promoter got nervous and cancelled the show (at the last minute). This did not sit well with the thousands of folks that showed up to buy tickets and see the show. In fact it did not sit well at all, and a riot (or as close as you'll get to a riot in Kansas) ensued. Two days after this show Hendrix played at the Denver Pop Festival, and it was the final performance of the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

From a local Wichita person http://www.garagehangover.com/moaninglories/

Greg Rohloff
    JULY 18, 2007 AT 4:13 PM
    I lived a couple of doors north of you on Ridgewood, my sister Janet, went to Southeast with you. When I was at Robinson, I got a little respect for knowing you, or at least living that close to you. I always enjoyed your music the time I got to go to the Cotillion for the battle of the bands, or you were rehearsing in the garage. I write for a weekly newspaper in Amarillo, TX. Janet, and our older brother Roy, live in Plano, TX. I won’t be able to make it up to Wichita for the show, although we all get back there pretty regularly. As a bonus, if the Joe Sauer that is in your band the same Joe Sauer that went to East High from about 1968-71, I was in a drivers’ ed. car with him one summer, the summer Jimi Hendrix was supposed to come to Wichita, but Joe was one of the about 47 people who had bought tickets, so the show was canceled.
    Best of luck,
    Greg Rohloff

And myself as a source. Having lived in Wichita for many years (not in 1969 though) and knowing concert ticket buying patterns and living with many canceled shows at the last minute in that city due to lack of ticket sales the story of this show being canceled and the reaction is not far fetched at all. I am sure this is probably in the Wichita Eagle newspaper or The Sunflower (Wichita State's newspaper) from around the time just after the show as well.

My own post from the canceled gigs thread:

Concerning the canceled Wichita gig. Apparently they didn't cancel the Jimi gig until the last minute due to lack of ticket sales and there was a mini riot when people showed up the day of the show to buy tickets. Canceling live shows at the last minute in Wichita was not uncommon after that either. Off the top of my head the following shows were canceled at the last minute or very near the last minute in Wichita while I lived there or near there: Widespread Panic, Black Crows, Prince, Eric Clapton and U2 (and I am sure there were others) This was mostly due to a radio station (differnt than the promoter for the Jimi show) in Wichita who promoted a lot of shows that had a complete lack of balls. It was well known that people in Wichita would buy tickets at the last minute and KRZZ would inevitably cancel many shows at the last minute if they got nervous about presales.

KRZZ even announced the day of the show on the radio Gov't Mules first show in Wichita was canceled. At or near the same time Government Mule put on their website the show was still on no matter what else people may have heard on the radio. Basically forcing the radio stations hand to hold up to their commitments. It turned out the show ended up being very full (not sold out but nearly) and they were brought back again a couple of years later. Go figure. Strange market. Some great bands have actually managed to play there over the years though including Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother and The Holding Company twice (with and without Janis) and the Rolling Stones.

I don't believe KRZZ even exists today but not sure as I haven't been back there for quite a while.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Re: 1969-06-27 Henry Levitt Arena, Wichita, Kansas *Canceled*

Friday 27 June 1969
    Wichita, Henry Levitt Arena, KS.
    JHE
    Concert
    Cancelled

27 No gig, Los Angeles. No gigs previous six nights, Los Angeles.
    Noel: “I hung about killing time. David 'Lord' Sutch pulled the two Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends LPs together by hiring Jimmy Page, John Bonham, Jeff Beck, Nick Hopkins and myself for some sessions. Crazy times, crazy people.”

28 No gig, Denver. JHE with Herbie Worthington and James “Vishwa[murti]” Scott flew to Denver.
    Accomodation: Holiday Inn, Denver.

They visit the festival site:

Noel: “The first day we were spectators, enjoying Joe Cocker [Cocker didn’t play ‘til next day. Ed.] and Creedence before crashing [ie ‘I crashed’. Ed.] early.”
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: