Thread: Where was The Wind Cries Mary written?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 658 Posts

Where was The Wind Cries Mary written?

On facebook, there was this comment made on a video of the Experience playing The Wind Cries Mary in Stockholm (1967):

Many years ago I saw in one of my books on Jimi Hendrix a photo of him sitting writing the lyrics for the song "The Wind Cries Mary" and the caption said that it was taken at the ESSO motor hotel in Mölndal outside Gothenburg. I was living nearby at the time so of course I immediately got into my car and went the 10 minute drive to the motel, found the spot, sat down at the same table in the same chair at the same window, took a piece of paper and a pen and wrote the words "The Wind Cries Mary". A few months later the motel was closed down and demolished. I still get goosebumps just thinking about it.

https://www.facebook.com/ThinkingAbo...0566471411546/

I always thought Hendrix wrote the song after a fight with Kathy in London?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 274 Posts

Re: Where was The Wind Cries Mary written?

TWCM was recorded on january '67, Jimi would play in Gothenburg for the first time on may.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ezy Rider View Post
    Many years ago I saw in one of my books on Jimi Hendrix a photo of him sitting writing the lyrics for the song "The Wind Cries Mary"
    I would love to see this photo
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

There's a headshot from Esso Motor Hotel in the "Voodoo Soup" booklet, no WCM penmanship.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The Esso Motor Hotel had entirely different associations with Jimi...

http://www.woodstockzeitgeist.com/Jimi-Hendrix.html

[all the images coming with the article are worth looking at, I recommend to read it at the original website. For archiving purposes text copied below]

Jimi Hendrix signed photo

The photo above was won at auction, where it was advertised as a Polaroid. Upon discovering it was not a Polaroid the auction house was contacted and in vouching for its authenticity explained that it had been listed by a reputable London company who'd acquired it "from a girl's scrapbook in Sweden".

Wanting to substantiate this claim I referred to the book Hendrix - Setting the Record Straight (author John McDermott with Eddie Kramer) and quote from page 105 - "Arriving in Sweden on January 3, 1968 the Experience checked into the Hotel Opalean in Gothenburg. The rigors of the band's breakneck schedule were something Hendrix had always seemed to manage … (but) having lost a battle with the bottle, overreacted when a groupie began to annoy him … and all hell broke loose. Hendrix and assistant manager Gerry Stickells were promptly arrested, booked and ordered to remain in Sweden until their case came up later that month. The Experience performed their concerts on January 4, 5, 7 and 8 before Hendrix and Stickells returned to Gothenburg to await their punishment. "

"We were not allowed to go out," recalls Stickells of the boring two week wait, "except that once a day we had to report to the police station. We had to stay in our room at the Esso Motel, right behind the gas station, the only place that would take us, though the manager was a fan so he would lend us his car to go to the police station. … I'll never forget that motel because we had bunk beds and every night two girls used to come around with a joint: we would eat and get laid in the bunk beds, which was quite a struggle."

The back of the photo:

Having confirmed that Hendrix was in Sweden under circumstances that reinforced the plausibility of his signing a photo taken by an individual who would have dropped off their film roll at a camera shop (or a pharmacy to have it sent out) for developing as was common practice in 1968 - I secured these two maps Gothenburg c.1968 & Esso Touring Service/Sweden c.1969. They further confirm the events as recounted in the book interview.

The Gothenburg map lists both the Opalen Hotel (#18) and Esso Motor Hotel (#29) alongside an advertisement for the New Molndal Esso Motor Hotel "5 Min. from Goteborg centre". The Esso map lists all the company's Motor Hotels in Sweden with Goteborg/Molndal at #14. Its location on the map is indicated in red print just below Goteborg with corresponding lantern icon next to Molndal.

A beautiful condition postcard circa late 60's of the Esso Motor Hotel, Gothenberg/Molndal, Sweden.
    As Jimi saw it.

1960's era ashtray and book of matches from Esso Motor Hotels European chain

This little pebble locked in lucite sits atop an ashtray from Electric Lady Studios

Custom made ashtray from Hendrix' Electric Lady Studios in New York City,
    beautifully bathed in sunlight for the first time ever

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Arrow Re: Where was The Wind Cries Mary written?

Back when I was on Facebook some time around two years ago, I had contacted Kathy and we were instant messaging each other, and the subject of that song came up. The reason it came up, and now comes the eerie part is I had mentioned to Kathy that my former GF was British, and moved to America, blah, blah. I mentioned to her that my ex girlfriend's middle name is "Mary"! I then for some reason happened to mention an incident with my ex GF about "Shepherd's pie" and how we got into a "fight" because I arrived late and the dinner was not as tasty as it should have been. That seemed to open her up with the following story. She then told me how Jimi and her being in their flat, and he was watching her prepare Shepherd's pie and decided there wasn't enough milk added. She said no, there was enough but Jimi insisted, and poured in more ruining the attempt to bake it properly! He was thinking that she was preparing mashed potatoes. That is what started their fight and he stormed out. I thought it cool she shared that with me. I know she has told it since that time but it was new to me. Coincidences in our lives are sometimes strange.
    Last edited by Sharpstat; 10-17-16 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Left out a section.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sharpstat For This Useful Post: