Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Machine Gun Jimi.. 2LP

Thanks

Re: Machine Gun Jimi.. 2LP

Someone posted this over on the Hoffman forums. My guess is this will only work in the U.S., but here's a first glimpse of "Power Of Soul" from the new release:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pr...rmance-w433270

And yes, the vocals that were super low on the soundboard track that has surfaced previously are intact on the multitracks !!!

By the end of 1969, Jimi Hendrix had disbanded the Jimi Hendrix Experience, performed at Woodstock and assembled a new group, the short-lived Band of Gypsys, which debuted at New York City's Fillmore East on New Year's Eve. They played two sets that night and two the next, with the January 1st sets serving as the basis for 1970's famed Band of Gypsys LP. But now the first night's first concert, which showcased the guitarist playing with bassist Billy Cox and drummer Buddy Miles together on a big stage for the first time, will be getting a proper release as Machine Gun: The Fillmore East First Show 12/31/69 on September 30th.

A recording of the first song they played that night, "Power of Soul," premieres here. It opens with some crisp blues playing by Hendrix before locking into a fluid groove with the rhythm section. Hendrix gets a handle on the song's unwieldy guitar lines, breaking into expressive solos and some speak-singy verses before hitting on the song's message "With the power of soul anything's possible" which his bandmates join him in singing. It's a fiery performance that shows the potential the group had before it broke apart within a month.

"We decided that we couldn't do any songs that had already been released, Cox said in a statement about the concert. "We wanted to give them something different. So we went at the project in a joyous, creative posture and ultimately developed the repertoire of the Band of Gypsys."

Engineer and producer Eddie Kramer, who worked on all the major Hendrix recordings during the singer's lifetime, mixed Machine Gun from its original 8-track master tapes for release on CD, double-vinyl and SACD as well as a digital edition.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Very much looking forward to this release,As has been mentioned this is probably the strongest/best of the four shows,hopefully there will be more to come,as Live at the fillmore east has never been re issued it would be nice to get a box along the lines of Winterland maybe, with a dvd of the Colour footage thrown in too ! This along with the three previously released tracks (On WCSB & the Somewhere single) sound great,I wonder if the SACD release will be a regular thing from now on.

Thanks

Official announcement from Sony/EH (same blurb is on the EH website):

http://legacyrecordings.com/2016/08/...rst-time-ever/

Of note for me is this will be the first official Jimi release in high resolution. There will be an SACD of this show and it sounds like a high resolution digital download will be available too!! Instant buy for me on SACD!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 732 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    Official announcement from Sony/EH (same blurb is on the EH website):

http://legacyrecordings.com/2016/08/...rst-time-ever/

Of note for me is this will be the first official Jimi release in high resolution. There will be an SACD of this show and it sounds like a high resolution digital download will be available too!! Instant buy for me on SACD!
    I'd say you're right...
    Machine Gun: The Fillmore East First Show 12/31/69 marks the first ever Jimi Hendrix SACD and high resolution digital release. Additionally, Experience Hendrix is also releasing People, Hell & Angels on the same day.
    -----------
    Power Of Soul 1st Show Band Of Gypsys from Jimi Hendrix VEVO:
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 08-15-16 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks

I'm excited about this release. My impression though after hearing power of soul is that the tape has severely degraded. I noticed tiny cuts in the track which sent shocks through my body. I think Eddie Kramer cut out some small imperfections. One of these you can hear at around 39 seconds. I hear more little cuts in the track later on. It sounds as if time skips forward a little bit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGero View Post
    I'm excited about this release. My impression though after hearing power of soul is that the tape has severely degraded. I noticed tiny cuts in the track which sent shocks through my body. I think Eddie Kramer cut out some small imperfections. One of these you can hear at around 39 seconds. I hear more little cuts in the track later on. It sounds as if time skips forward a little bit.

Strange. I don't hear any cuts. Actually if there any edits they are imperceptible. It might be a streaming problem. It sounds pretty good to me.

Thanks

I disagree actually. We've had the rough soundboard of the first four songs from this show for quite some time. I don't hear any different edits between the two with a quick comparison. In fact, the running time on the Rolling Stone sample is a bit longer (only by about 9 seconds) than the previously circulating soundboard clip. I think what you're hearing is how Jimi played that night.

We won't know for sure until the disc comes out of course, but IMO we're lucky to be getting this at all.

Thanks

How do others read this announcement about People Hell and Angels? Are we getting an SACD release or a High Res download? Or both? Of that album which I love btw....

Good to see Hendrix entering the world of Hi Res downloads finally.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I wouldn't make too many judgements on a sample stream. Invariably I find these to sound way worse then the actual releases.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uncle carmi View Post
    Experience Hendrix's artwork always sucks.
    I see nothing wrong the artwork on this release and in fact I like it. I also like the Atlanta artwork.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    In fact, the running time on the Rolling Stone sample is a bit longer (only by about 9 seconds) than the previously circulating soundboard clip. I think what you're hearing is how Jimi played that night.
    The cuts are very small. Some milliseconds are cut out. I can imagine many people not perceiving it. I do. I believe it is not a streaming issue. I think the tape contains some pops and clicks, and in the past they used some kind of dolby technique to remove these artifacts. I think this time Eddie Kramer opted to just cut out these small millisecond parts where the clicks are audible. So you just select the period when the click is audible and cut this entire audio segment out. I hope the audio quality becomes better later on in the show.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,999 Times in 855 Posts

The cuts are very small. Some milliseconds are cut out. I can imagine many people not perceiving it. I do. I believe it is not a streaming issue. I think the tape contains some pops and clicks, and in the past they used some kind of dolby technique to remove these artifacts. I think this time Eddie Kramer opted to just cut out these small millisecond parts where the clicks are audible. So you just select the period when the click is audible and cut this entire audio segment out. I hope the audio quality becomes better later on in the show.
    I hear no issues, then again I wasn't taking that sort of notice!!
    I'll hear any issues when and if they are there as I get to sit with the recordings on issue. What I wont find is anything "cut" like that, Kramer has way too much EXPERIENCE in this field to do that sort of thing. In this day and age it is simple to remove "clicks" and "pops" in the digital realm without even the contemplation of "cutting" them out.

A spliced tape is an totally different matter.

HiRez issues as download or SACD has been a long wait. It shows that the company do listen to fans as there has been a regular requesting for these over the last few years. Maybe Janie will get applauded rather than brickbats for a change!

The art? Well it looks ok to me but if the LP/CD/SACD [Download?] booklet art is as photoshopped it'll be back to brickbats, ha ha. We all want untouched shots presented clearly. No over text, colourizing etc.

Still, I would love to hear something genuinely new. Sure is a tough ask but certainly far from impossible.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

You may be right. I do it myself when cleaning up vinyl dubs if the result is better than using click removal software.

Thanks

You may be right as others have noted. I won't do that kind of critical listening until I have the real McCoy in my hands and I can slap on the 'ol headphones.

Thanks

Bernie is the MAN when it comes to mastering recordings. I along with others am looking forward to this release. The EH site must be incorrect as they listed this recording in the SACD format also. That would be a gift if they do release it on SACD!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    How do others read this announcement about People Hell and Angels? Are we getting an SACD release or a High Res download? Or both? Of that album which I love btw....

Good to see Hendrix entering the world of Hi Res downloads finally.
    I imagine a hi-res download. Finally!

Man, they all have to release the stuff I want at PRECISELY the same time! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpstat View Post
    Bernie is the MAN when it comes to mastering recordings. I along with others am looking forward to this release. The EH site must be incorrect as they listed this recording in the SACD format also. That would be a gift if they do release it on SACD!
    Why would it be a mistake?

Thanks

Pretty psyched about this release. Easily in my top 5 Jimi live shows. I know 30May1970 Hear My Train A' Comin' scores high, I've always enjoyed 31Dec.1969 much more. The pace is quicker, Jimi burns throughout beginning w/ his masterful intro riff. Having this on vinyl is a dream come true.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to susep73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The sound-quality on the "Power of Soul" sample is fucking stellar. If anyone is unable to hear it, drop me a PM and I'll help you out.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to trampledunderfoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Great news.
    And now waiting for show 2,3 and 4.....

27. The Following User Says Thank You to alien For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trampledunderfoot View Post
    I imagine a hi-res download. Finally!

Man, they all have to release the stuff I want at PRECISELY the same time! :P

Why would it be a mistake?
    I was going off of the assumption that there is no SACD box to check on Amazon? I want to own a physical disc in my hands! I have yet to download music onto a USB stick. My player does both formats, I just want the disc.