Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Brian Auger

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 554 Posts

Interview with Brian Auger

Here is the interview that I conducted by phone with Brian Auger in December 2009.

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix....rian_auger.htm
    Last edited by purple jim; 01-18-10 at 07:12 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to purple jim For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Interview with Brian Auger

This link wont work with me. Says 'page introuvable' or something like that.
    Last edited by backfromthestorm; 01-18-10 at 06:58 AM.

Thanks

Link corrected.

Thanks

Thx for the good work you have done, an interesting read...
    SEEDING 0 CTT TORRENTS

Thanks

Cool... I owned them pics of the jam at olympia, sold em on ebay though to a Canadian chap. Evey time I looked at em hanging on my wall i saw it as an end of show jam, now i know it really was that. I didnt know anything about the photos or the gig when i had them but since I`ve sold them I`ve learnt (thanks to this site) everything i could ever wanna know about em. A little ironic. Want em back now.

Excellent read mate.

Thanks

I don't think it was the end of show jam. I think if it was the climax of the evening, the photographer would have had Johnny in the frame on at least one of the shots.
    The photographer remembered that it was at the end of Long Chris' set (the end of the first half of the concert).
    However, in Sean Egan's "Not Necessarily Stoned But Beautiful", Vic Briggs is quoted as saying that the "jam" was at the end of Brian Auger's set. He said that they all came on to help as Brian was being booed!
    Last edited by purple jim; 01-19-10 at 01:49 AM.

Thanks

Seems like we'll never really know for sure then, unless a tape magically turns up one day.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

That's a great interview. He seems like a really nice and honest guy.
    The info on the 1970 meeting was intriguing (and a sad confirmation of heroin use), with Jimi meeting John McLaughlin and listening to "Devotion". That's a killer album, check it out! John has dismissed the album for the bad production though...
    Last edited by dino77; 01-19-10 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks

I sold my copy of "Devotion". McLaughlin got on my nerves. It seems that he's asking a lot of questions and not getting anywhere. Jimi had all the answers.

Thanks

I contacted Brian again about the fact that he had no memory of Halliday's presence at Blaises in September 66. Here is his reply (which I have added to the interview):

Brian: Presumably Jimi would have joined us to jam on the second set as usual. If Johnny came in, it would be possible that I was already on stage. After the gig I had to help remove my Hammond from the club and so I could have missed him, during that busy time. The fact that I don't remember seeing him does not mean that I think he was not present, in fact I believe the books are correct, and he definitely was. In any case we are discussing something that occurred some forty odd years ago and while many details are clear in my mind, this one is not. I'm sure that Johnny would never invent something like this and so I must extend to him,( along with my very best wishes), the benefit of the doubt, and to reiterate that I believe he and Lee Halliday were indeed present. I do hope this clarifies my point of view.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,760 Times in 1,003 Posts

Once again we get a first hand confirmation that Jimi was snorting heroin which furthered his sefl destructive behavoir.
    Last edited by RobbieRadio; 01-22-10 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRadio View Post
    Once again we get a first hand confirmation that Jimi was snorting heroin which furthered his sefl descrtutive behavoir.
    It might help explain what happened during the last European tour... Cold turkey before Isle of Wight, alcohol (for example before the Stockholm show) and pills to alleviate the cravings later. But who knows.
    Last edited by dino77; 01-22-10 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Once again we get a first hand confirmation that Jimi was snorting heroin which furthered his sefl destructive behavoir.
    I think Brian was just someone inexperienced with "hard" drugs jumping to conclusions: "...and then he rolled out some silver paper which he opened up and he snorted what was obviously heroin.... I don't use any of that stuff and you've got to stop using it..." It could just as easily (more likely?) have been coke, or wiz, especially given the circumstances.

He also appears to have the idea that Jimi died from a heroin overdose as many still (mistakenly) do, as in the next sentence he says:
    Jim: Where were you when you heard about his death?
    Brian: I think I was in London and I really couldn't believe it. I thought, man, that is such a waste of the most incredible talent. There were a lot of people who hit the skids at that time through messing with the same stuff.

Great interview though, don't get me wrong:-) Like he says it was 40 years ago!
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-27-10 at 06:04 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    It might help explain what happened during the last European tour... Cold turkey before Isle of Wight
    It may well do, but I think Wight is not a good example, he obviously never went cold turkey (ie the booze, Quaaludes [Mandrax] etc, whatever) if he did indeed have a "habit" at this time - for which there is no firm evidence. He plays better here than all the other gigs on this very brief "tour" (and indeed some on the US tour) apart from Fehmarn, although the circumstances (making it a long drawn out affair & very late) & the history of abundant, innacurate & adverse comment - mostly post death - surrounding it (without benefit of hindsight through the audience tapes) tend to make it appear far worse than it actually was - although uneven, it was shot through with moments of brilliance.
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-27-10 at 06:10 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,760 Times in 1,003 Posts

From Noel Redding's Book "Are You Experienced" 1995

March 1970: Noel found out Billy Cox was now officially the new Experience bass player. So Noel started rehearsals in New York for his first Solo Album.

On Page 140 He Writes:

"Jimi dropped by one night sort of to say he was sorry, and had the grace to look embarrassed. He offered to play guitar and gave me a snort of coke which was heavily laced with smack (heroin) and made me violently ill."

So here we have a first hand, reliable source stating that Jimi was snorting heroin. Which is what Kathy Etchingham had suspected all along.

This could also explain why he was sick and couldn't perform at the Arhus, Denmark show on 9/2/70 where he quit after just 2 songs. Reports were that he was asking for heroin before the show and at other stops on the tour.

Thanks

H only go`s up your nose if your to skint to buy foil or pins..
    But then who really cares what he drugs he did. .

Thanks

Where do you draw the line and consider a person having a habit?

The issue with Jimi is confused by the fact that he had a higher tolerance than most and was able to function, perform and display brilliance regardless of a out of line consumption, which by all standards can't be viewd as "recreational". The intake and variety of substances appears to have increased dramatically from the time he arrived in London '66 til the time Kathy Etchingham came to see him at the hotel just before Isle of Wight, where she observed him having obvious withdrawal symptoms. That coupled with his cravings for drugs (Århus) during this last tour indicate a habit and a clear issue with it.
    Last edited by Herman Cherusken; 01-24-10 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Spelling as usual...
    SEEDING 0 CTT TORRENTS

Thanks

This could also explain why he was sick and couldn't perform at the Arhus, Denmark show on 9/2/70 where he quit after just 2 songs. Reports were that he was asking for heroin before the show and at other stops on the tour.
    He wasn't sick at Aarhus he was wasted, eye-witnesses at the event were definite that he took Mandrax (US-Qualludes). His stumbling about, dropping his plectrum repeatedly etc. fit the bill perfectly. I would love to see these "reports" that he was asking for smack as this is not mentioned at all or even hinted at by any of the major players, and unconnected witnesses at the time in any publication that I have seen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Cherusken View Post
    Where do you draw the line and consider a person having a habit?
    When they have been taking it so frequently that they feel ill and need to to take it regulary or they get sick.

The issue with Jimi is confused by the fact that he had a higher tolerance than most and was able to function, perform and display brilliance regardless of a out of line consumption, which by all standards can't be viewd as "recreational".
    This is obviously just post death "Jimi Superman puff" he undoubtedly could sometimes play when tripping (as is claimed for Santana on the highlight - for me - of Woodstock, 'Soul Sacrifice') He obviously wasn't too hot on other drugs (& of course acid itself as it's effects can vary wildly) as is evidenced by several of his recorded performances.

The intake and variety of substances appears to have increased dramatically from the time he arrived in London '66 til the time Kathy Etchingham came to see him at the hotel just before Isle of Wight, where she observed him having obvious withdrawal symptoms.
    Who can say? what was he doing before he arrived in London? according to everyone he was smokin' weed, snorting meth & (apart from Chas) tripping! anway, who would know really? You can do what you want in Jimi's lifestyle at the time, nobody would feckin notice, he appears to have followed? in CK's (alleged) footsteps as a "pimp" (living off women) by many accounts, he practised the "poor mouth" from his early days - Jimi was a major hustler - innocent? my arse - get real folks.

That coupled with his cravings for drugs (Århus) during this last tour indicate a habit and a clear issue with it.
    He was obviously off his face most (or the whole) time until he died, but so what? so were most "rock" musicians and their fans. Not to mention all the straight folk who are - as before - currently drinking themselves into mental hospitals (suicide, death) in large numbers - nevermind the prescription drugs from the doc (which incidentally killed Jimi, not the illegal ones)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    When they have been taking it so frequently that they feel ill and need to to take it regulary or they get sick.
    Yeah, and as with Jimi and many others you can have a habit or dependancy of drugs but fluctuate between various substances, all depending on what's accessible.

Who can say? what was he doing before he arrived in London? according to everyone he was smokin' weed, snorting meth & (apart from Chas) tripping! anway, who would know really?
    By sheer logic, before fame he didn't have the economical means to sustain a large consumption (and by being a superstar, the free drugs were available in abundance). Pre Sep '66 smoking pot, an acid trip here and there, sure. But as you well know, Kathy had a close relationship with Jimi from about the start upon arrival, and she has given a pretty detailed description of his personality and behaviour plus early usage compared with the change she saw in him over the years, mainly due to the influence of accellerated drug usage.

He was obviously off his face most (or the whole) time until he died, but so what? so were most "rock" musicians and their fans. Not to mention all the straight folk who are - as before - currently drinking themselves into mental hospitals (suicide, death) in large numbers - nevermind the prescription drugs from the doc (which incidentally killed Jimi, not the illegal ones)
    There you go, habitual behaviour on the part of a lot of people, what more needs to be said? Case closed!
    Last edited by Herman Cherusken; 01-24-10 at 04:08 PM.
    SEEDING 0 CTT TORRENTS