Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Brian Auger

Thanks
    Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,011 Posts

Re: Interview with Brian Auger

I agree with your Herman. Kathy has stated that when she first met Jimi he didn't even DRINK! As you point out, until he became famous he was broke all the time and couldn't afford to have any kind of "habit." Before fame he lived off the generosity of his girlfriends who took him in and fed him. Faye Pridgeon mentions this in the 1973 A Film About Hendrix about how he used to always come around at meal time and her mother used to comment about him being a bum.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRadio View Post
    I agree with your Herman. Kathy has stated that when she first met Jimi he didn't even DRINK! As you point out, until he became famous he was broke all the time and couldn't afford to have any kind of "habit." Before fame he lived off the generosity of his girlfriends who took him in and fed him. Faye Pridgeon mentions this in the 1973 A Film About Hendrix about how he used to always come around at meal time and her mother used to comment about him being a bum.
    As regards drinking, he himself said that when he left the army he went into a bar and spent nearly all his cash (a considerable sum) he got so wasted. "[Yes, before Jimi met me he was just a sweet little innocent]" heh-heh;-). From all the evidence that has turned up since 1973, before "fame" from 65 through to when he left in september 66 he seemed to be almost continually employed in reasonably (if not actually well) paid jobs with major artists including session work and if he was indeed broke (which would appear to have been only (maybe) when he 1st arrived to stay in NY when he met Faye & before he "got a gig") it was down to him trashing his cash on whatever.
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-27-10 at 06:15 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Cherusken View Post
    Yeah, and as with Jimi and many others you can have a habit or dependancy of drugs but fluctuate between various substances, all depending on what's accessible.
    No. A habit is by it's definition for one drug. just taking drugs (this includes alcohol of course) willy-nilly is not a "habit"
    Of course one can swap one habit for another.

By sheer logic, before fame he didn't have the economical means to sustain a large consumption
    That's not logic, that's just going by some ill informed opinion. According to several sources Jimi dealt & used speed before he left NY and was something of a hustler, he also was frequently employed by major artists on tours and played recording sessions, he was also playing the top discos in NY so had plenty of cash to get drugs. Anyway the biggest smack heads are people from low income groups.

There you go, habitual behaviour on the part of a lot of people, what more needs to be said? Case closed!
    So there are a lot of people in the world addicted to various substances. That does not make Jimi someone with a heroin habit at this time. Case most definitely not closed
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-27-10 at 06:16 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,011 Posts

STPLSD, you are obnoxious. No matter what comment anyone makes you disagree with it and claim YOU know better. Go soak your head. It's way too big!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRadio View Post
    No matter what comment anyone makes you disagree with it and claim YOU know better. Go soak your head. It's way too big!
    Just coz I point out where your arguments fall down, there's no need to go in the huff;-)
    I agree with much that is posted and am very grateful for all the new info and opinion offered. But if by finding some info that appears to be a better argument or description of events, an not just accepting any & every bit of dodgy opinion dished out makes me appear "big-headed" (whatever that means anyway) and/or my direct way of expressing myself, so be it. It's all done in the interest of furthering accuracy.

I'm not denying the possibility that he had a heroin habit at this time and was suffering withdrawal when on this tour, this of course begs the question: Why would he choose to go through withdrawal at this time, knowing the consequences? it's not like smack was hard to get for pop-stars at this time surely?
    I just don't see that there is a clear cut case for it.
    He may well have been experiencing a hangover, & come down off speed, the effects of downers, sleep deprivation, whatever, at various times on his last few gigs.
    I still haven't seen the "reports of him asking for heroin" (with dates, source) yet? these would be interesting to compare - no?
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-25-10 at 07:22 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    he also was frequently employed by major artists on tours and played recording sessions, he was also playing the top discos in NY so had plenty of cash to get drugs. Anyway the biggest smack heads are people from low income groups.

Interesting, so you're saying Jimi had "plenty" of cash? Why did he then have to live off girlfriends, steal food, why couldn't he afford to buy his own guitar let alone guitar strings? As testified by several people on the scene. Cause he used up all his money on drugs? Like all people from low income groups?
    The last claim is totally obnoxious.
    Hope you realise that you create new inaccuracies in your so called "search for accuracy".
    Last edited by dino77; 01-25-10 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    Interesting, so you're saying Jimi had "plenty" of cash? Why did he then have to live off girlfriends, steal food, why couldn't he afford to buy his own guitar let alone guitar strings? As testified by several people on the scene. Cause he used up all his money on drugs? Like all people from low income groups?
    Hope you realise that you create new inaccuracies in your so called "search for accuracy".
    Cant speak for STPLSD, but I took it to mean Jimi had plenty of cash from 65` - 66` to buy whatever. As he was working then (session, backing, discos etc.

I`m not quite sure where Herman and STPLSD agree and disagree though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 554 Posts

Caesar at Univibes informs me that this was the itinerary of The Trinity in Sept/Oct 66.

23/9 Bromley
    24/9 Chelsmford
    29/9 Blaises
    3/10 Wolverhampton

He has found no trace of any other London club jams at that time! Brian remembers several (Cromwellian, Blaises, Scotch Of St. James, Bag O' Nails) and Vic Briggs remembers the Scotch. Kathy remembers The Kilt and sitting next to Hallyday there.

Thanks

Interesting, so you're saying Jimi had "plenty" of cash? Why did he then have to live off girlfriends, steal food, why couldn't he afford to buy his own guitar let alone guitar strings? As testified by several people on the scene.
    That is a curious question, being as we have some receipts---the one from Little Richard posted elsewhere here for example---that show he did indeed pull down decent bucks for the time when he was working, and he seems to've been able to work about as often as he wanted (Isleys etc) to.

No mystery as to questionable "testimony" from people on the scene, he blah blah woofed woofed pretty effectively whether it was his tales of why he was kicked out of high school or discharged from the military (unless you have the medical docs "testifying" to the broken ankle) or his phoney birthdate for publicity reasons or whatever whenever he wanted to.

Thanks

Interesting, so you're saying Jimi had "plenty" of cash? Why did he then have to live off girlfriends, steal food, why couldn't he afford to buy his own guitar let alone guitar strings? As testified by several people on the scene.
    Now you're just ranting, come on;-) He was consistently photographed with the same Fender Jazzmaster, complete with strings, playing with several different bands over the period in question (65-66). When was he stealing food? That's a new tale to me?

Cause he used up all his money on drugs? Like all people from low income groups?.
    Yes, I agree, and I find it quite disturbing that you could make such a suggestion dino tut-tut!
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-26-10 at 12:56 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by backfromthestorm View Post
    I`m not quite sure where Herman and STPLSD agree and disagree though.
    I disagree that Jimi was so poor in 65-66 that he couldn't afford any drugs or drink. And also disagree that one can say he was definitely suffering from heroin withdrawal on his last tour, although I agree it does rather look like it from some descriptions, and this may well be a possibility.
    I also disagree that he had a huge tolerance for drugs and drink as this is not borne out by the evidence. "If Jimi drank a quart, we'd best take a pint" - it's a nice soundbite and makes Jimi look "tough", but....
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-26-10 at 01:00 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    Caesar at Univibes informs me that this was the itinerary of The Trinity in Sept/Oct 66.

23/9 Bromley
    24/9 Chelsmford
    29/9 Blaises
    3/10 Wolverhampton

He has found no trace of any other London club jams at that time! Brian remembers several (Cromwellian, Blaises, Scotch Of St. James, Bag O' Nails) and Vic Briggs remembers the Scotch. Kathy remembers The Kilt and sitting next to Hallyday there.
    Thanks for this info, But then, as Brian said: it was 40 years ago, and also that Vic tends to have an interesting memory of things. Kathy's "I remember the 60's" has been shown to be rather that, she believes she remembers everything (either that or she just makes things up, to fill in the gaps, or that she has a shifting agenda;-)
    I'm not discounting anyone of these peoples memories, just pointing out that they can be fallible, and mix things up, have a picture that suits them but may be questionable;-)
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-26-10 at 01:38 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scoutship View Post
    No mystery as to questionable "testimony" from people on the scene, he blah blah woofed........
    Of course Jimi was a hustler, that's not the point. It doesn't mean he was well off financially, rather the opposite. I'd agree that he would have afforded speed and hash though, must have been very cheap in those days.

He was consistently photographed with the same Fender Jazzmaster, complete with strings, playing with several different bands over the period in question (65-66). When was he stealing food? That's a new tale to me?
    Well, the bandleaders couldn't reasonably let their lead guitarist play with an incomplete set of strings, could they? It is hardly conclusive proof of wealth .
    Diane Carpenter claims the two of them were shoplifting in Charles R. Cross' book. This would be in May-June 1966 when Jimi branched out on his own, so maybe he was really poor then, without income from sidemen gigs.

We have no evidence that he made much money from recording, on the contrary he was signed as a recording artist to Chalpin (ie not being paid session fees). Strange that he couldn't get more gigs as a session player, perhaps the reason was he didn't read music.
    Last edited by dino77; 01-26-10 at 04:06 AM.

Thanks

so you're saying Jimi had "plenty" of cash?
    No. you left out the qualifying part of the sentence, what I said was he had plenty of cash to buy drugs ie (let me spell it out for you) - 'he could afford to buy drugs'.

Of course Jimi was a hustler, that's not the point.
    When scoutship says "he blah blah woofed........" he is not saying that Jimi was a hustler, he is saying that what Jimi said was not always to be believed.

It doesn't mean he was well off financially, rather the opposite. I'd agree that he would have afforded speed and hash though, must have been very cheap in those days..
    You are now agreeing Jimi had enough cash to buy drugs. Nobody has said he was "well off" or "wealthy" the whole point was that he had enough money to buy drugs, ie that his financial situation was not so dire that this would prevent him buying drugs before he went to England.

[QUOTE=dino77;26603]Diane Carpenter claims the two of them were shoplifting in Charles R. Cross' book. This would be in May-June 1966 when Jimi branched out on his own, so maybe he was really poor then, without income from sidemen gigs.

[QUOTE=dino77;26603]Thanks for that info. Interesting she didn't 'claim' this before? Her short relationship with him appears to have been in 1965? and was anyway unlikely to be exclusive.

We have no evidence that he made much money from recording,
    We can use our knowledge to figure out that he made decent money when he did sessions. Jimi was in the musicians union and was generally playing alongside well known professional musicians and would have recieved union rates. He played several sessions over a quite short space of time. This income was not his only source as he was also regularly hired by top artists to play in their groups & played the top discos, which was where groups like the Doors played around this time. Even the Cafe au Go Go.

The following, beginning with "on the contrary", should be a separate sentence as it is dealing with one particular artist and is about a different kind of work, and should not begin with "on the contrary" as this is disingenuosly making a spurious connection.

he was signed as a recording artist to Chalpin (ie not being paid session fees). .
    But he was according to his contract, paid a percentage on any recordings he played on and/or arranged for PPX. Chalpin sold a lot of records. Which makes for yet another source of income.

Strange that he couldn't get more gigs as a session player, perhaps the reason was he didn't read music.
    Maybe he didn't like doing sessions, and/or was just too busy making more money gigging, doing other sessions we don't know about, ie the relatively recent Mr. Wiggles claims. playing the top discos, getting his Blue Flame act together, writing?

I've had enough of this bollocks now anyway, I will be back when I have the time
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-26-10 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks

You are now agreeing Jimi had enough cash to buy drugs.
    I never said otherwise, just suggesting Jimi wasn't well off financially.

Thanks for that info. Interesting she didn't mention this before? Her short relationship with him appears to have been in 1965?
    It appears to have been in May-June 1966, pre-Carol Shiroky or simultaneously.

We can use our knowledge to figure out that he made decent money when he did sessions.
    To prove that we would have to know what the sessions rates were. Lonnie Youngblood says he paid Jimi $25-30 per session.

But he was according to his contract, paid a percentage on any recordings he played on and/or arranged for PPX. Chalpin sold a lot of records.
    Chalpin released 2 singles which Jimi apperared on/arranged in 1966. He got 1% of the revenue, and those 2 records never even dented the charts. 1% of nothing is not a lot of money.

I've had enough of this bollocks now anyway

Agreed
    Last edited by dino77; 01-26-10 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks

I disagree that Jimi was so poor in 65-66 that he couldn't afford any drugs or drink.
    Who stated such a thing? I certainly didn't, go back and do your reading.

And also disagree that one can say he was definitely suffering from heroin withdrawal on his last tour, although I agree it does rather look like it from some descriptions, and this may well be a possibility.
    You like to play with words, semantics. The question is if Jimi had a heroin habit, and according to Noel the usage appears to have begun in the end of '67 or beginning of 68 (he wasn't specific about the date), and there are enough sources mentioning Jimi using heroin, more or less specific from the time Noel says it began uptil the time of his death, to accept the notion of a habit. You can argue yourself blue about it and pick it all to pieces to your liking, but it doesnt change the fact. It's called circumstantial evidence, so you don't need a "report" written on your forehead - or a sworn affidavit by Jimi himself.

I also disagree that he had a huge tolerance for drugs and drink as this is not borne out by the evidence.
    If you refer to me I never said HUGE but LARGE (and not in conjunction with alcohol) and the sources we have on this confirms it. I don't value the occurance ("tough" or "cool"), just as the law of gravity makes most objects fall to the ground, some people mention Jimi having a larger tolerance than themselves.

Anyone having the address to the Allen brothers, we could ask them about Jimi's drug tolerance?
    Last edited by Herman Cherusken; 01-26-10 at 01:21 PM.
    SEEDING 0 CTT TORRENTS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 554 Posts

It seems obvious that Jimi had a habit with heroin but not necessarily an "addiction".
    However Brian, Noel and Kathy's recollections, IOW, Aarhus etc. do point to something heavy going on. The continual cocktail put him in a weak position to face the Samarkand Hotel incident.
    Last edited by purple jim; 01-26-10 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks

To prove that we would have to know what the sessions rates were. Lonnie Youngblood says he paid Jimi $25-30 per session.

Adjusted for inflation that's about $160 to $190.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scoutship View Post
    Adjusted for inflation that's about $160 to $190.
    ^
    Thanks for your very pertinent, & enlightening value adjustments.

(check out Diana Carpenter's - wack!)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Herman Cherusken;26609]Who stated such a thing? I certainly didn't, go back and do your reading.

I have done and I hope you will acept my apology, I inadvertantly conflated Robbies
    "didn't even drink" back to back post with your "large quantity" post

You like to play with words, semantics.
    No, I am actually being serious, (sad as that may seem, unlike some others around here - not you) about the meaning of words.
    The question is if Jimi had a heroin habit, and according to Noel the usage appears to have begun in the end of '67 or beginning of 68 (he wasn't specific about the date), and there are enough sources mentioning Jimi using heroin, more or less specific from the time Noel says it began uptil the time of his death, to accept the notion of a habit. You can argue yourself blue about it and pick it all to pieces to your liking, but it doesnt change the fact. It's called circumstantial evidence, so you don't need a "report" written on your forehead - or a sworn affidavit by Jimi himself.
    I understand your annoyance at me. But I don't agree it's an open and shut case that he was suffering from heroin withdrawal at this time, although it may look like it. (from where I am coming from habit=addiction in junkie talk)

If you refer to me I never said HUGE but LARGE (and not in conjunction with alcohol) and the sources we have on this confirms it. I don't value the occurance ("tough" or "cool"), just as the law of gravity makes most objects fall to the ground, some people mention Jimi having a larger tolerance than themselves
    That's all very well, but he didn't appear to have much of a tolerance for downers or anything else for that matter -to judge from much recorded evidence/incidents/testimony. My use of the word "tough " I think is quite clearly not associated with your post. And my use of the word "huge" was not a quote from what you said but related to the general and to the following quote from Faye to illustrate this oft quoted supposed attribute as was the above "tough/cool" comment. I should have separated the comments more clearly in retrospect, but it was flying about.

Anyone having the address to the Allen brothers, we could ask them about Jimi's drug tolerance?.
    we could, that might be interesting, but I only recall them saying he could take a lot of acid (which is ?)
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-27-10 at 04:38 PM.