Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interview with Brian Auger

Thanks

Re: Interview with Brian Auger

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    I have done and I hope you will acept my apology, I conflated Robbies "didn't even drink" back to back post with your "large quantity" post
    No need to apologise, but it's cool and accepted...

I understand your annoyance at me. But I don't agree it's an open and shut case that he was suffering from heroin withdrawal at this time, although it may look like it. (from where I am coming from habit=addiction in junkie talk)
    Okay, I can see where you're coming from. But just as you can be a light smoker as opposed to being a heavy smoker, it's still a habit. The same goes for Jimi and heroin. There are no references/indications of Jimi shooting/injecting heroin (which would have taken the addiction/habit to a totally different level, and which usually is refered to as being a "junkie"), while he seems to have limited his use to snorting.

Regardless, as Kathy described, Jimi clearly displayed withdrawal symptoms being at the hotel shortly before IOW. Now, that could have been from a mixture of other drugs as well. But why didn't he take the precaution to not be in that situation at all, just as he was on his way on a new tour? Perhaps because he started to lose control of things due to being a cronic insomiac, or a number of other possible reasons. Or if it was heroin had the withdrawal symptoms from, perhaps he took the chance to take the hit at this time so he might be in a better shape for the tour. Who knows...

In any case, at Århus Jimi asked one of the consert workers for cocaine, and as the unassuming individual this person seems to have been, he was quite astonished by the request. And his statement in the video interview appeared sincere and not come across as a post-construction...
    SEEDING 0 CTT TORRENTS

Thanks

[QUOTE=Herman Cherusken;26679]There are no references/indications of Jimi shooting/injecting heroin (which would have taken the addiction/habit to a totally different level, and which usually is refered to as being a "junkie")QUOTE]

Smoking or snorting wont make you any less/more addicted or `any less/more of a junkie`. The effects of withdrawal are the same regardless of how its taken.. The only change of level would be from the risk of virus`s and OD if intravenously taken. Your a Heroin addict or your not.

Quite simply, a habit starts when your dependent on it to feel normal and not in pain. Up until that point, its Recreational, after that point its Medicinal. We`ll never know what point Jimi got too, but I think its doubtful he ever became dependent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by backfromthestorm View Post
    Smoking or snorting wont make you any less/more addicted or `any less/more of a junkie`. The effects of withdrawal are the same regardless of how its taken.. The only change of level would be from the risk of virus`s and OD if intravenously taken. Your a Heroin addict or your not.
    I used my freinds from the 70s-80s as reference here and their experiences of heroin. One of the few drugs I never involved myself with and thus couldn't speak about from experience, and they occationally spoke about the major difference in snorting and injecting heroin as far as the strenght of the high, the way it breaks down the mind and body, plus the difference of addiction.

I might be wrong here...
    SEEDING 0 CTT TORRENTS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Cherusken View Post
    I used my freinds from the 70s-80s as reference here and their experiences of heroin. One of the few drugs I never involved myself with and thus couldn't speak about from experience, and they occationally spoke about the major difference in snorting and injecting heroin as far as the strenght of the high, the way it breaks down the mind and body, plus the difference of addiction.

I might be wrong here...
    Snorting heroin is much more expensive, as it takes more of the stuff to get the desired effect. So addicts resort to shooting for economical reasons. As noted above, smoking won't get you get less addicted. It may take longer to develop a full-blown addiction, perhaps.
    As for Jimi, we'll never know, though his intake of alcohol and uppers (a common method for coping with opiate withdrawal symptoms) is suspicious.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Cherusken View Post
    In any case, at Århus Jimi asked one of the concert workers for cocaine, and as the unassuming individual this person seems to have been, he was quite astonished by the request. And his statement in the video interview appeared sincere and not come across as a post-construction...
    Ah, I think Robbie got his wires crossed here and unfortunately remembered it as heroin Jimi asked for. I've not seen the video, sounds interesting. Any idea where I might find it? Another journalist claims that on seeing Jimi backstage at the Deutschlandhalle with watery eyes and red nostrils, he asked him if he had a cold and Jimi replied, "That's from snorting cocaine, man." This was only published in 78 unfortunately (info from Ben Valkhoff's excellent 'Eyewitness 1969-70').

Also his ragged but fiery show at Copenhagen (at which he hurt his voice through belting out the vocals) - after the mess he was in at Aarhus - very much appears to have been under the influence of a stimulant/s like coke and/or speed.

This of course was followed by the poor show at the Deutschlandhalle where he could barely sing, cutting out a lot of the vocals (due to hurting his voice at his previous wild performance at Copenhagen - lucky bastards!) and hardly spoke at all between numbers. Jimi in the backstage interview immediately prior to going on stage for this gig (and unfortunately during it) sounds quite stoned as on a downer like Mandrax/barbs
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-27-10 at 05:58 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

I think its doubtful he ever became dependent.
    But would you concede that it is a possibility, from the anecdotal/circumstantial evidence?
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-27-10 at 04:53 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Seems like we'll never really know for sure then, unless a tape magically turns up one day.
    Well, we can always go for probability. Would Johhny at the end of a dramatic post suicide attempt come back (dramatic come back single titre: 'Noir c'est Noir'), being recorded for posterity and the resulting 'Musicorama' special show being broadcast on Europe 1 radio, with an audience that idolised him, really give up the stage to a jolly revue jam? Unlikely! It is recorded (ie written), that it was the end to the support acts and the beginning of the intermission before the main act 'drama' (ie Johnny) began. This is an excerpt from the review of the Nancy gig (three days before Paris) from a French local paper :

"The spectacle is complete: the girl with the long hair who, sitting in her chair, literally has gone into a trance, the old lady who greedily takes picture after picture with her small camera with flash until "gorilla's" put a stop to it! And then, see the police sergeant. He is exhausted, like Johnny and the audience. Nobody knows how many songs he has played, they have forgotten that he has a band of nine musicians, that they have seen "Chris" (a poor imitation of Antoine) in the first part of the programme, and Jimi Hendrix heading his own band.
    They have forgotten that the storm is over."

(info from Ben Valkhoff's most excellent 'Eyewitness 1967')
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-27-10 at 06:00 PM.

Thanks

Of course, theres always a possibillity. I just believe its very unlikely.

Its just not that easy to come off once its really got you. It usually takes something like a few trips to jail, losing a limb, and/or half a dozen dead friends before your likely to even think about getting clean. And then it`ll just be a thought. If he was ever physically dependent, I think he would of been up until the corroner did his report, and the corroner said he wasnt at the time of death i think.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    Snorting heroin is much more expensive, as it takes more of the stuff to get the desired effect. So addicts resort to shooting for economical reasons.
    Many people on the other hand skip the entree and proceed straight to the main course as that is what they are 1st offered, and of course gives the "rush", they may resort to snorting it or whatever coz they can't get their "works".
    William Burroughs gives the best account of the junk mentality.
    By the way, just in case some of you don't know "junk" comes from a type of Chinese boat, earlier? slang 'gong' (ie Chinese play gongs) Jimi, 1969, Rolling Stone interview not long after his bust (knowing that no-one that's unhip will know what he's talkin): "I've got a pet monkey called Charlie Chan" ie 'I've got a monkey on my back' (screaming "feed me, feed me!") - this phrase means 'I'm addicted' - Charlie Chan (Chinese) just makes it obvious to what;-) But by saying he has a "pet" monkey he obviously thinks he has it under control or is just playing with it at this time (ie the monkey's there (I like it), but he's not hungry - yet).
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-27-10 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks

Of course, there's always a possibillity. I just believe its very unlikely.

Its just not that easy to come off once its really got you. It usually takes something like a few trips to jail, losing a limb, and/or half a dozen dead friends before your likely to even think about getting clean. And then it`ll just be a thought. If he was ever physically dependent, I think he would of been up until the coroner did his report, and the coroner said he wasnt at the time of death i think.
    Of course major junkie "stars" like Lennon/Yoko, Clapton, Townshend, Richards, Lou Reed, James Taylor etc etc... took a long time to get off it cause they never went to jail (Keith's Canada bust though maybe set him on beginning the "straight" rd.), could afford "good" gear (ie not losing limbs) etc. Like you say dead "friends" being an influence might have to be in numbers (or very close) to make any effect.

Yeah, it's not totally convincing that he ever had a habit, but then again heroin (unlike cannabis) leaves your system very quickly once you stop (which makes a mockery of "drug testing" ie those innocuosly, occasionaly using cannabis often get caught, but alcohol, smack & coke heads etc. usually pass).
    And of course when you have a steady supply you appear "normal" it's only when you can't get it that the sweats, shaking etc start (just like alcohol)
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-27-10 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

By the way, just in case some of you don't know "junk" comes from a type of Chinese boat, earlier? slang 'gong' (ie Chinese play gongs) Jimi, 1969, Rolling Stone interview not long after his bust (knowing that no-one that's unhip will know what he's talkin): "I've got a pet monkey called Charlie Chan" ie 'I've got a monkey on my back' (screaming "feed me, feed me!") - this phrase means 'I'm addicted' - Charlie Chan (Chinese) just makes it obvious to what;-)
    That's interesting - didn't know about the origin of the word...

John Burks: Hendrix is with them, then? (Black Panthers)
    Jimi: "I'm not for guerrilla warfare."

Mitchell hunched up his shoulders monkey-like and said, "Gor-illas?"
    Hendrix, grinning and looking at the floor: "I got a pet monkey called Charlie Chan." They all fell out laughing, the Panther issue forgotten.

Charlie Chan is also the name of a fictional detective character.
    BTW, Charlie Parker's used the name for recordings outside of his regular recording contract...
    Last edited by dino77; 01-28-10 at 05:20 AM.

Thanks

You've removed my qualifying sentence - "But by saying he has a "pet" monkey he obviously thinks he has it under control or is just playing with it at this time (ie the monkey's there (I like it), but he's not hungry - yet)." - following the sentence you quoted, therefore making it seem as if I'm inferring Hendrix was saying he was an addict. Which I clearly am not.

That's interesting - didn't know about the origin of the word...
    There could well be other claims, but I like that one

Charlie Chan is also the name of a fictional detective character.
    Yeah, I know, (he's quite famous) - a Chinese-American one

Charlie Parker's used the name for recordings outside of his regular recording contract...
    Yet another wee hint as to what he was referring to;-)
    Bird being a notorious smack head.
    (his alias appears to have come from one of his wives whose name was
    Chan & also I'm sure he was tickled that the connection of their 1st names became the above detective's name)

Of course this phrase could just be a nonsense comic response to Mitch's comment, or I suppose it could also mean something about Charlie Parker? Given the context (close to a discussion about his trial for heroin and cannabis, where he makes a couple of sly quips about his current drug use) I think not. I think Mitch's comment sparked him to think of this humerously sly imagery. The trial/& his drug use is obviously on his mind, as he pulls Burke up later for what he thinks is him returning to this theme (he wasn't).
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-29-10 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks

Chalpin released 2 singles which Jimi apperared on/arranged in 1966. He got 1% of the revenue, and those 2 records never even dented the charts. 1% of nothing is not a lot of money.
    Chalpin says that Jimi was reluctant to sign with him until he gave him $200 dollars up front (curiously the same sum Jimi claims Chalpin offered him for the 1967 sessions at studio 76). Although Jimi in his 1968 deposition said that no money changed hands. Also Jimi asserts in this deposition (in which he is very reluctant to reveal anything, frequently claiming he can't remember) that Chalpin paid him by cheque "several times, a few times" for sessions, although he adds that it was below union scale. This of course may be an attempt by Jimi to portray himself as no more than a session man at the Knight sessions.
    I was actually surmising that Jimi could well have played on the many cover versions Chalpin released abroad, this was his main business.
    Then again does it matter. Juggy Murray said Jimi was better off playing live gigs as they payed more at this time.
    Last edited by stplsd; 04-16-10 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,004 Posts

VIC BRIGGS - Of Brian Auger & The Trinity / The Animals 04/02/2016

Interview conducted by Robert von Bernewitz

R.V.B. - Did you have interactions with Jimi Hendrix? Could you elaborate?

BRIGGS - Oh yes! In September of 1966, we occasionally - without Julie - would play the "in" clubs, like the Cromwellian... the Scotch... and they really liked us because we were really, really, good. People would get up and jam with us. Very rarely did any guitar player or even drummer would get up and jam, but singers would often get up... Eric Burdon... Zoot Money. This particular night, which I think was September 24th, I got there a little bit early... the Scotch of St. James, which was the "in" club at the time, and one of the waiters comes up to me and says "You should haveseen this guy that Chas Chandler had down here last night. He looked like the wild man of Borneo." I really didn't think anything about it.

In London, nobody had frizzed out hair at that time. Not long after that I saw Chas Chandler trotting in with this skinny little guy with frizzed out hair. I thought "Um, this is interesting". It was really early - like 9 o'clock - things didn't start happening there until 10:30 - 11, the earliest. Chas came right up to me and he said "I want you to meet Jimi. He's going to be sitting in with the band tonight". I said "Oh, that's nice". He said "Is it ok if he borrows your amp?". I said "Sure! Do you need a guitar?". He said "No man, I'm left handed". We shook hands and he was quite pleasant and friendly. I didn't really know until the last 2 or 3 years that Chas had already arranged it with Brian. He called Brian and asked if Jimi could sit in... knowing that Jimi would get real good support from the guys. I thought Chas was there spontaneously. Jimi did do a little bit of rehearsing with Brian. They did Hey Joe because I remember him telling Brian it was the same 4 chords over and over. The Scotch is a tiny club and I had this Marshall stack. it wasn't a huge stack but it was big enough. Jimi walks over to my amp with his guitar and turns every knob up to eleven. He said to me "Don't worry man, I'll turn it down on my guitar". That was the night that Jimi took London by storm, and he used my amp. There was a book that was written in the 2000's, and it actually talks about that night that he sat in with Brian Auger. It says “There was this guy Vic Briggs on guitar and Jimi remembered him as a really friendly and helpful cat”. I thought that was pretty nice. That night, Johnny Hallyday - the French Elvis Presley was there. Earlier that year, in the summer, Brian and I had recorded an album with Johnny which Giorgio had produced. Giorgio was the kind of guy... even though he had no financial interest in Jimi whatsoever... he pushed Jimi because he believed in him. He was always doing that - pushing people whom he believed in.

There was this guy Bob Lind who wrote a song called "Elusive Butterfly", It was quite a big hit in the States. This very straight and square Brit singer covered it. Giorgio Gomelsky, and a few other guys, took out an ad in the papers saying that the original recording by Bob Lind is authentic, sincere, and just wanted to say that this is the real thing... don't buy the cover version. I think Giorgio pushed Johnny Hallyday to take Jimi on a tour with to France, and he was just about to do it... Jimi didn't even have a band. He really didn't have the "Experience" at that time. In the next few days he got a hold of Mitch and Noel. On October 18th, We - Brian Auger, Julie Driscoll, and the Trinity were booked to play at the L'Olympia, which is probably the most famous music hall in France. We were booked to play there with Johnny Hallyday, and Jimi Hendrix was going to be on the show too. By that time Jimi and been on tour with Johnny and had done quite a few shows in France. This was to be the last night of the tour I believe. So we went over there... the show was on a Tuesday night... We left on Sunday night, got there on Monday morning and hardly had any sleep. Giorgio dragged us out of bed to rehearse. Then we got some sleep and we rehearsed again on Tuesday. I knew Mitch because Mitch and I were in a band together in 1962. It was the first time I met Noel.

So it was about 5-5:30 the night of the show, and Mike Jefferey (The Animals manager) and the co-manager of Jimi, with Chas Chandler, came over to me and said "You want to go get a cup of coffee?". I was quite surprised because Mike Jefferey was not the type of guy to approach you unless he had something important to talk about. I knew him but I had never really spoken to him. So we went to this cafe, ordered coffee, and made small talk. After the coffee came, he looked me right in the eye and said "How would you like to join The Animals?". I thought for about a half a second and I said "Yes!". Then we went back and did the show. The French and I guess the Belgians too are kind of fickle. The show was opened by Johnny Hallyday's band "Le Blackbirds". Then Jimi came out and he did his thing and then we followed Jimi. We were doing a song called "The Freedom Highway"... Julie was singing... and the French guys started booing because we were too jazzy. We came from a festival where we were too much rock and roll, and at Johnny Hallyday's show – and in St Tropez - we were too jazzy. So they didn't let up with their booing. I was sad for Brian and Julie but I was off in a different space, feeling totally detached from the scene. I was off in Freedom land because I knew my life was about to change. A week or so after that I gave Brian notice and within a couple of weeks I was rehearsing with The Animals.

We would rehearse at The Scotch of St. James where Jimi had made his big debut. Because I was now under the same management, I saw a fair amount of Jimi. We did some gigs together. We played a gig in Hounslow, at the Ricky Tick club of all places. It was the second gig I did with The Animals. When we got there, Jimi was playing. I think they just pushed him in there because The Animals’ management was like, "Let's get this guy some gigs", since nobody knew who he was. The woman I was with that night was very impressed. She said "Who is that sexy guy?". I said "That's Jimi Hendrix".

http://musicguy247.typepad.com/my-bl...he-echoes.html

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post: