Thread: What does Reset Passkey do?

Thanks

What does Reset Passkey do?

I accidentally clicked 'Reset Passkey' in the Tracker CP pulldown menu at the top of the page and then got a message to redownload all of my torrents. Does this mean I have to redownload over 100 torrents before they will seed again??

Thanks

Re: What does Reset Passkey do?

Every user has a unique passkey that is added to the torrent file when the user downloads the torrent file. The passkey is used to identify the seeder/leecher, so that the tracker can keep track of the amount of data the user has downloaded and the data the user has uploaded. When you reset your passkey, the old passkey that is stored in your torrent files becomes invalid and the tracker refuses it, so yes, unfortunately you do have to download all the torrent files again to be able to seed them.

This happened accidentally to me once too. Luckily most of the torrents were listed in my profile under the "dead torrents" label, so it didn't take too much time to get them seeding again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steadybox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: What does Reset Passkey do?

Quote Originally Posted by steadybox View Post
    Every user has a unique passkey that is added to the torrent file when the user downloads the torrent file. The passkey is used to identify the seeder/leecher, so that the tracker can keep track of the amount of data the user has downloaded and the data the user has uploaded. When you reset your passkey, the old passkey that is stored in your torrent files becomes invalid and the tracker refuses it, so yes, unfortunately you do have to download all the torrent files again to be able to seed them.

This happened accidentally to me once too. Luckily most of the torrents were listed in my profile under the "dead torrents" label, so it didn't take too much time to get them seeding again.
    Thanks for the info. What a hassle - it took me a few hours to find and redownload them all, save for four or five that I either couldn't find or that wouldn't give a new tracker for whatever reason. Back in business!

ETA: I never knew about the dead trackers list in my profile. I wish I knew about that before I spent hours tracking down each thread manually! But I was able to fill in two trackers I couldn't find manually by using the dead trackers list. MUCH easier than the way I did it.
    Last edited by Red House; 08-20-16 at 01:54 PM.