Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-London photos only

Thanks

Pre-London photos only

Hi everyone, I'd like to start a new thread. I'd like to see every photo available of Jimi before he landed in London in 1966.
    So any photo taken of Jimi and Chas on the airplane out of New York and over the ocean would qualify. Ha.

I'd prefer to see Jimi with his various bands, but army, teen, and childhood photo's of Jimi would be cool to see, as well.

Hopefully the photo will be posted with a date and location, or at least a good guess.

I can start with this Little Richard color action shot.
    Univibes #40 informs me that this photo was taken between February and early April, 1965. It was taken at the Fillmore in San Francisco by John Goddard.
    Note the 1959+ Fender Jazzmaster.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,107 Times in 359 Posts

Re: Pre-London photos only

3. The Following User Says Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johanincr View Post
    very!
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Looking through those pictures makes me realize how fast time goes by.

You see him just a young kid in 1960...all but 16, 17 years old. Yet only 6 years later he was off to England, to become the greatest musician this world has seen.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 554 Posts

Here are a couple of others:

[URL=http://img42.imageshack.us/i/fortcampbell.jpg/][/URL

Thanks
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by souldoggie View Post
    Hi everyone, I'd like to start a new thread. I'd like to see every photo available of Jimi before he landed in London in 1966.
    f.y.i. the CTT Photo Gallery area has multiple pre-JHE photo gallery forums.
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    f.y.i. the CTT Photo Gallery area has multiple pre-JHE photo gallery forums.
    Thanks for setting this up, a fantastic idea. wouldn't it be great if everyone posted their photos here? I've not put up many but I am going to post what I have here. Not right now as I've got to work 6 x 12 on a ship.
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-27-10 at 08:01 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by souldoggie View Post
    ... this photo was taken between February and early April, 1965. It was taken at the Fillmore in San Francisco by John Goddard. Note the 1959+ Fender Jazzmaster.
    Which would appear (from several photos), to be the same (sunburst) one he used from earlier (with the Isley's - and most probably earlier), until at least 5 May 66 at the Prelude club. The next photo of Jimi (his last with a guitar in the US?) shows him at the Cheetah on 11 May 66 - the 1st photo of him playing a stratocaster (sunburst also).
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-27-10 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,997 Times in 855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johanincr View Post
    Nice indeed. Sorry can't post as I don't own any pre '66 shots, just what I have in books and mags. Usual stuff.
    Looking forward to watching this grow.

Thanks

Hendrix in the Army (courtesty of Betty Jean Morgan)

This is my favourite. So young- but you can see the potential...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Which would appear (from several photos), to be the same (sunburst) one he used from earlier (with the Isley's - and most probably earlier), until at least 5 May 66 at the Prelude club. The next photo of Jimi (his last with a guitar in the US?) shows him at the Cheetah on 11 May 66 - the 1st photo of him playing a stratocaster (sunburst also).

And I always wondered if it was actualy Gorgeous George and not Little Richard?
    Didnt Gorgeous George wear a silver wig?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pali Gap View Post

Hendrix in the Army (courtesty of Betty Jean Morgan)

This is my favourite. So young- but you can see the potential...
    Yes, we can. Hand painted guitar (red, with heavily styled "Betty Jean" lettering), "loudly" patterned open-necked shirt, wild pose and (as he liked to do at key points in his career) photographed next to a prominently displayed LP by one of his "guitar heroes" - in this case "Bo Diddley's A Gun Slinger" an appropriate title for someone (a guitar slinger) in the military - heh-heh. It's one of a deliberate? chain, featuring Howlin wolf (with his NY 66 Dylan hair-do), Muddy, Elmore and Dylan as well - at least. It's like he was documenting his career/influences eg the choice of songs on the recordings with the "Curtis Knight Squires" mainly the "live" songs but then there's "How Would You Feel" - basically "Like A Rolling Stone" etc. "LP's are like diaries" - like, weird, man!
    Last edited by stplsd; 07-27-10 at 05:33 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pali Gap View Post
    And I always wondered if it was actualy Gorgeous George and not Little Richard?
    Didnt Gorgeous George wear a silver wig?
    I have never found any information about a Gorgeous George apart from that famous white wrestler.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    I have never found any information about a Gorgeous George apart from that famous white wrestler.
    Real name George Odell, and he wore a blonde wig.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    Real name George Odell, and he wore a blonde wig.
    Univibes tracked him down a few years a go, and attempted an interview but he was very uncooperative.

Thanks

I found this page about "Gorgeous" George Odell.
    One of his singles had a B-side - "Sweet Thing" (probably no relation to the "Sweet Thang" by Billy Lamont — with Jimi on guitar).

http://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.co...e-neptune.html

…and this :
    "Eventually getting a break, he toured with the Isley Brothers in 1963/4, before quitting their band on a stop in Nashville once more. This time he hung around for a while, before joining several mid-western tours organised by DJ Georgeous George Odell.

Jimi worked like this for over a year, basing himself in Atlanta this time when his money ran out and Georgeous George couldn't get enough bookings, offering to work as a valet for acts if they didn't need musicians. Here, he was spotted by Little Richard who hired him for his band.
    "

Source : http://browneyedhandsomeman.blogspot...ght-train.html
    Last edited by purple jim; 05-10-10 at 03:28 AM.

Thanks

I found this page about "Gorgeous" George Odell.
    One of his singles had a B-side - "Sweet Thing" (probably no relation to the "Sweet Thang" by Billy Lamont — with Jimi on guitar).

http://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.co...e-neptune.html

…and this :
    "Eventually getting a break, he toured with the Isley Brothers in 1963/4, before quitting their band on a stop in Nashville once more. This time he hung around for a while, before joining several mid-western tours organised by DJ Georgeous George Odell.

Jimi worked like this for over a year, basing himself in Atlanta this time when his money ran out and Georgeous George couldn't get enough bookings, offering to work as a valet for acts if they didn't need musicians. Here, he was spotted by Little Richard who hired him for his band."

Source : http://browneyedhandsomeman.blogspot...ght-train.html
    Nice you found this, but it's really just repeating what has been said before, according to some he & George sometimes worked as "valets" (whatever that means), but also had an act to fill in in between acts/warm up the show, or were even frequently the back up for several artists on the bill who were 'travellin' light'. Unfortunately no one has given any detail on Jimi, or George's tours/gigs and the specific roles they performed. Not too lowly one would imagine, considering how often George is spoken of. Also interesting how many of Jimi's pre Experience musical (& female) associates were from Georgia, Atlanta specifically.

Thanks

I finally got hold of a photo of Gorgeous George! This is from an American tour program.
    Thanks to Nick Sands for sending this to me.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to purple jim For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I finally got hold of a photo of Gorgeous George! This is from an American tour program.
    Thanks to Nick Sands for sending this to me.
    Wow! Many thanks, was there any accompanying text about him? Any details of the tour? That would be excellent.
    Last edited by stplsd; 06-14-10 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    …was there any accompanying text about him? Any details of the tour?
    Only that he was the MC for the Isley Brothers.