Thread: Rod Harrod book

Thanks
    Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,059 Posts

Rod Harrod book

Interesting that Harrod claims Jimi never played at the Scotch the day he arrived (24th), that this is just a story. He says the 1st time Jimi played there was the jam with the VIP's on the 27th. But then he also has Jimi arriving on the 22nd two days earlier than the passport stamps! He appears to have taken his description of Jimi's attire from Paul Caruso's description of Jimi in the Village and exaggerated the loudness of his shirt, which does not fit with what others describe him wearing when he arrived and early photos.
    He says the Hyde Park Towers was not just a hotel where musicians stayed, but where they liked to hang out and have a drink too. He has it as the sixties London equivalent of the infamous ‘(Continental) Hyatt House' on Sunset Strip - nicknamed the ‘Riot House’ by musicians.
    Apart from the above, and some general comments about the scene Harrod had very little to say that interested me, it's mostly just rehashed bio info from elsewhere and full of silly errors. Still, worth the £2.50 though
    Last edited by stplsd; 10-09-16 at 09:15 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,059 Posts

Re: Rod Harrod book

In fact it looks like he's been reading CTT. He's obviously taken the info about the first gear used at the rehearsals, that I sorted out from the garbled account given in 'Setting The Record Straight' and, partly, re-garbled it.
    Some of his 'revelations' have the appearance of being informed by my other stuff at CTT too, eg my questioning the accounts of Jimi's first stage appearance and his jam with VIP's as possibly being of the same night.
    Much as I initially questioned whether the accounts of Hendrix playing two separate nights at Les Cousins were not actually the same night... etc.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."