Thread: Bob Levine On Caesar Glebbeek

Thanks

Bob Levine On Caesar Glebbeek

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Re: Bob Levine On Caesar Glebbeek

You don't need permission to quote someone. What deliberate distortion? This guy (Brian Doyle?) has to say, otherwise we can't check it. Bob's not exactly wholeheartedly endorsing whatever bollocks this slime has been feeding him

On the publication of tappy wrights pile of shit. Levine came out and flat out denied that Jimi had been murdered, it was all over the net and press, no need to misquote him.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rupe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 658 Posts

After all this time, reading those comments, the general opinion is still that Hendrix lungs were flooded with wine??? OMG :-(

(for the record: No, Hendrix was not, the coroner was mistaking him for another person)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ezy Rider View Post
    (for the record: No, Hendrix was not, the coroner was mistaking him for another person)
    It's not clear what you are trying to say here?
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,999 Times in 855 Posts

Jimi Hendrix wasn't murdered by hismanager, says former business partner

"JimiHendrix was not murdered," says Bob Levine, who was the US manager of thelate guitarist at the time of his death in 1970. "Despite the allegationsthat have recently been made, I need to set the record straight once and forall. Jimi died an accidental death, but he definitely wasn't murdered – not byMichael Jeffrey, his UK manager, and certainly not by anybody connected to him.The whole thing is one giant lie."
    Levine'sstatements counter a claim made by Hendrix's former roadie, James 'Tappy'Wright' in his 2009 book, Rock Roadie, that Jeffrey drunkenly confessed to himin 1971 that he murdered the guitar icon by stuffing his mouth full of pillsand then washing them down with bottles of red wine.
    "Tappywrote that Jeffrey was afraid that Jimi was going to leave him for a newmanager," says Levine. "He also said that Jeffrey had taken out aninsurance policy on Jimi that was worth a couple of million dollars and that hewanted to collect on it." (Jeffrey would die himself in a place crash in1973.)
    "All ofwhich is ridiculous," says Levine. "I was Jimi's US manager, andMichael Jeffrey was Jimi's UK manager. Michael also oversaw a lot in the US,but he was involved in other business enterprises. Michael wasn't always Jimi'smanager – Chas Chandler, who was in The Animals, was managing and producingJimi at first. The three of us, in fact – myself, Chas and Michael Jeffrey —all saw Jimi together in 1966 at the Café Wha in New York City. You could tellhe was going to be a huge star even then.
    "After afew years, Chas and Michael had a split," says Levine. "They broke upChandler-Jeffrey, and it was decided that Mike was going to run the UK officeand I'd look after things in the US. Tappy Wright worked in the office for MikeJeffrey. He did a variety of things, among them acting as a roadie for Jimi. Hedid some roadie work for Ike & Tina Turner, too."
    RegardingWright's claim that Jeffrey murdered his star client, Levine says it was allcooked up to sell books. "I used to talk to Tappy every day," saysLevine. "I've known him since the early '60s. He told me he was puttingtogether a book about his years in the rock world. That's fine – everybody hasa right to do a book if they can. But he told me, 'Bob, I need a hook for thebook. I need a handle.' He needed something that would be a grabber. Well,saying that Jimi was murdered is a grabber; saying that Jimi was murdered byhis manager is an even bigger grabber. But it's certainly not the truth."

According toLevine, the night before he died, Hendrix was out on the town in London."He did a bit of clubbing, and then he went back to his hotel to get a fewhours of sleep because he had to catch a plane to Germany the next morning.
    "He waswith a girl who did give him some sleeping pills – Jimi always had a hard timesleeping, so he'd take pills to make him sleep. He had some wine, too, and wentto sleep. But when it came time for the wine to come up – he had to vomit – hewas literally knocked out by the pills, so he choked on his vomit."
    Hendrix's bodywas found in a room at the Samarkand Hotel, west of London, on 18 September1970. Although the room was listed to Monika Dannemann (who died in 1996),Hendrix was alone at the time. There is no record of who called the ambulancecrew that discovered the body. "People weren't very good at keeping suchrecords at the time," says Levine. "The actual death certificate fromScotland Yard read: 'Accidental Suffocation.' That was signed by the medicalexaminer."
    All of whichmakes Wright's assertions, in Levine's words, "pure baloney. He says thathe called the retired medical examiner in Australia, who told him that Jimididn't die accidentally, that it was a result of 'foul play.' Now, come on,that's right out of a Stephen King novel or something. An 80-year-old medicalexaminer suddenly changes his mind after 40 years and tells some guy who'swriting a rock star tell-all something like that? Totally ridiculous."
    "I toldTappy, 'What are you doing making up this story? So you want to sell books –why do you have to print such lies?' And he said to me, 'Well, who's going tochallenge me? Everybody's dead, everybody's gone. Chas Chandler, MichaelJeffrey, Mitch Mitchell, Noel Redding…they're all gone. Nobody can challengewhat I write.'"
    In Levine'sview, "Jimi Hendrix died by accident. He was a happy guy, looking forwardto making music. And Michael Jeffrey didn't have it out for Jimi in any way. Italked to him the day before Jimi died. He had major plans for Jimi. The futurewas very bright at the time. The whole thing about Michael taking out a lifeinsurance policy and wanting to collect? That's in Tappy's imagination, too.
    "Michaelsigned an insurance policy on Jimi that the record company took out, and Jimiwas aware of this. But that's standard. Frank Sinatra was insured by Reprisefor millions of dollars. That's how business is done. Record companies take outinsurance policies on major artists all the time. But it was nothing ruthless ordastardly on Michael Jeffrey's part. This is Tappy rewriting history."
    Nowretired in living in Florida, Levine says that he's saddened that Wright'sstory might have found a way into Hendrix folklore. "It's totally unfairto Jimi," he says. "It's unfair to everybody who was around at thetime. I just think it's really unfair to the fans, to anybody who ever lovedJimi Hendrix. Yes, he died a tragic death, and he died much too young. Butspreading these lies that he was murdered? It's utter crap, and I've beensilent about this for much too long."
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks
    Thanked 3,780 Times in 1,007 Posts

"Until We Meet Again" Caesar Glebbeek

http://www.univibes.com/News.html

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Great comment section there in the video, but I am so torn. Am I a member of a "group of punks" or " a bully pit of creeps" ?
    Last edited by jhendrixfanatic; 10-12-16 at 09:15 PM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jhendrixfanatic For This Useful Post: