Thread: 1968-02-02 San Francisco, Tavelodge motel, interview & photo shoot

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

1968-02-02 San Francisco, Tavelodge motel, interview & photo shoot

Friday 02-02-68 The Bayside Inn At The Wharf? [at the back of Fisherman's Wharf, at the time possibly still a ‘Pacific Hotel’, or as it became at some point a Travelodge?] or the Bay? [not as close to Fisherman's Wharf] Travelodge motel, San Francisco
    Photo shoot by Baron Wolman (pub. 1 Feb. 1969, his concert photos were used for #26) and interview by Jan Wenner for Rolling Stone magazine, pub. 1 (9) March 1968.

Baron Wolman: "Before his San Francisco concerts in February, 1968, we met Jimi at his motel on Fisherman's Wharf. As the writer was interviewing a surprisingly quiet Jimi, I shot some informal portraits, one of which appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine No. 26. It was impossible to take a bad photo of Hendrix; he was the most photogenic musician I ever encountered whether he was in motion on the stage or at rest with his friends."

Jimi (interview): "Last night was the first time we played in so long [ie first US gig was Fillmore 01-02-68, ie interview session was on 02-02-68 before the show at Winterland.
    ie ‘First time’, apart from Paris three nights previous!? ie Jimi is ‘playing’ Wenner. But he really hadn't played very many concerts for a good while prior. Since 5 (fifth) December '67 (when their 2nd UK tour had ended) he had only played the Christmas on Earth gig (22 Dec, his ‘farewell’ gig to London) and a 5 day ‘farewell’ trip to Sweden & Denmark -4th-8th Jan- when he played 4 nights and from whence he had spent the next 7 days stuck in a motel in Goteborg! and then back to London for a couple of weeks where he jammed at the Speakeasy one night and did a bit of recording (Crosstown Traffic, two cover versions: All AlongThe Watchtower, Tax Free and what were basically a couple of demos: Dream, The Dance and Little One)].
    Jimi (interview): "We just got snatched [ie not!!] while we were there [ie Olympic studios, London. Ed.] You just can't do it if you really enjoy your music. It was like a scene: we were in the studio and we were really into some groovy things. Some really funky little things. And we were snatched out of the studio within a day of knowing nothing [ie they recorded overdubs on Tax Free the night before they flew to Paris for their ‘farewell’ gig there. Jimi is being ingenuous here, he had decided to move back home to New York after his nine months based in London, and had already been back there for a couple of months anyway (the Summer of love) and recorded there, he obviously knew when the [1st] US tour was starting, it was certainly not sprung on him and there is no way he did not know about Paris either! Ed.]
    [...] Like, I don't even remember the Fillmore last night [ie 01-02-68 ie interview session was on 02-02-68 before the show at Winterland] I felt completely out of my mind."
    Last edited by stplsd; 10-20-16 at 01:09 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: 1968-02-01 San Francisco, Tavelodge motel, photo shoot

Rolling Stone No. 26, February 1, 1969

Last edited by jhendrixfanatic; 10-20-16 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Re: 1968-02-01 San Francisco, Tavelodge motel, photo shoot

Added some stuff

Friday 02-02-68 The Bayside Inn At The Wharf?
    [at the back of Fisherman's Wharf, at the time possibly still a ‘Pacific Hotel’, or as it became at some point a Travelodge?] or the Bay? [not as close to Fisherman's Wharf] Travelodge motel, San Francisco
    Photo shoot by Baron Wolman (pub. 1 Feb. 1969, his concert photos were used for #26) and interview by Jan Wenner for Rolling Stone magazine, pub. 1 (9) March 1968.

Baron Wolman: "Before his San Francisco concerts in February, 1968, we met Jimi at his motel on Fisherman's Wharf. As the writer was interviewing a surprisingly quiet Jimi, I shot some informal portraits, one of which appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine No. 26. It was impossible to take a bad photo of Hendrix; he was the most photogenic musician I ever encountered whether he was in motion on the stage or at rest with his friends."

Jimi (interview): "Last night was the first time we played in so long [ie first US gig was Fillmore 01-02-68, ie interview session was on 02-02-68 before the show at Winterland.
    ie ‘First time’, apart from Paris three nights previous!? ie Jimi is ‘playing’ Wenner. But he really hadn't played very many concerts for a good while prior. Since 5 (fifth) December '67 (when their 2nd UK tour had ended) he had only played the Christmas on Earth gig (22 Dec, his ‘farewell’ gig to London) and a 5 day ‘farewell’ trip to Sweden & Denmark -4th-8th Jan- when he played 4 nights and from whence he had spent the next 7 days stuck in a motel in Goteborg! and then back to London for a couple of weeks where he jammed at the Speakeasy one night and did a bit of recording (Crosstown Traffic, two cover versions: All AlongThe Watchtower, Tax Free and what were basically a couple of demos: Dream, The Dance and Little One)].
    Jimi (interview): "We just got snatched [ie not!!] while we were there [ie Olympic studios, London. Ed.] You just can't do it if you really enjoy your music. It was like a scene: we were in the studio and we were really into some groovy things. Some really funky little things. And we were snatched out of the studio within a day of knowing nothing [ie they recorded overdubs on Tax Free the night before they flew to Paris for their ‘farewell’ gig there. Jimi is being ingenuous here, he had decided to move back home to New York after his nine months based in London, and had already been back there for a couple of months anyway (the Summer of love) and recorded there, he obviously knew when the [1st] US tour was starting, it was certainly not sprung on him and there is no way he did not know about Paris either! Ed.]
    [...] Like, I don't even remember the Fillmore last night [ie 01-02-68 ie interview session was on 02-02-68 before the show atWinterland] I felt completely out of my mind."
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."