Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Janie on 2017 release plans

Thanks

Janie on 2017 release plans

Janie was recently featured on Songs of Tori Amos discussing Tori Amos cover of If 6 was 9. As part of the special Janie discusses 2017 release plans which include:

1.) A documentary of the Rainbow Bridge/Maui concerts. From her description it sounds like much more than just a Rainbow Bridge re-release but instead will be a full blown concert/documentary of the Maui show.

2) Another Dagger release (no details on what it will be)

Link to whole show below: (It is the 10/27 show link)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...377193592&mt=2

Thanks

Re: Janie on 2017 release plans

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    Janie was recently featured on Songs of Tori Amos discussing Tori Amos cover of If 6 was 9. As part of the special Janie discusses 2017 release plans which include:

1.) A documentary of the Rainbow Bridge/Maui concerts. From her description it sounds like much more than just a Rainbow Bridge re-release but instead will be a full blown concert/documentary of the Maui show.
    Holy crap. I'm tempering my expectations but I can't help but be giddy over a full blown visual release of both Maui shows. I'm sure both shows don't exist in full but if say 80% both shows is in the vaults then I can literally die happy. I'll take this over a RAH release any day.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCoconut77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCoconut77 View Post
    Holy crap. I'm tempering my expectations but I can't help but be giddy over a full blown visual release of both Maui shows. I'm sure both shows don't exist in full but if say 80% both shows is in the vaults then I can literally die happy. I'll take this over a RAH release any day.
    I feel the same way About Maui!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sharpstat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Finally so stoked about this release!

Thanks

If we do get what Janie stated on Maui AND a Dagger release, it could well be a vintage year for Jimi material.

Thanks

For those of you having trouble opening the link. Go to itunes and search for
    Songs of Tori Amos podcasts and click on the one they posted on 10/27/2016

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I wonder if EH has managed to get more footage for this Maui project? It was suspected that Alan Douglas didn't hand over all the film in the inventory when he relinquished control of the catalogue, including Maui and Berkeley footage. Maybe since his death this missing footage has worked its way back with EH? Sure hope so!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pukaha View Post
    I wonder if EH has managed to get more footage for this Maui project? It was suspected that Alan Douglas didn't hand over all the film in the inventory when he relinquished control of the catalogue, including Maui and Berkeley footage. Maybe since his death this missing footage has worked its way back with EH? Sure hope so!
    Let's hope so. If they did , we may be in line for Jimi Plays Berkeley v.3 as well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCoconut77 View Post
    Let's hope so. If they did , we may be in line for Jimi Plays Berkeley v.3 as well
    I love the Maui sets but both Berkeley sets are still the top of the heap for me. I would do V.3 for "lost" footage of Berkeley for sure but simpler for the estate to do is to release the early Berkeley show audio complete. With that said improved Maui sound (if that is possible) plus more video than Rainbow Bridge had of the Maui sets and the Maui sets can take their place in history in the best way possible. Either right there with Berkeley or surpassing Berkeley in excellence.... The Maui sets were great but sound and synch problems have (thus far) kept the recorded sets from achieving Berkeley status. (IMHO)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    For those of you having trouble opening the link. Go to itunes and search for
    Songs of Tori Amos podcasts and click on the one they posted on 10/27/2016
    And if i don't have iTunes ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 732 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alien View Post
    And if i don't have iTunes ?

Janie came on during the last 30mts of the podcast(by phone)
    she only mentions about Rainbow Bridge in the beginning and at the end, then she mentions something about a Dagger release, all the in-between stuff is the ususal banter from Janie.
    so I recorded her part only(18mts) thru Audacity as mono WAV, and rendered it as 16bit FLAC to reduce file size..
    JH-10-27-16.flac(35.1 MB)
    https://mega.nz/#!mZMzmRzZ!CzCkbI-26hi6PpsKPiBfztaJ3bY2vN-L0083DeSr52E

Last edited by J.Lucas; 11-13-16 at 07:35 AM.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I wonder if they have any Maui footage other than the resynched footage that we've all seen. Until I hear more detail I'll try not to get my hopes up.

Years ago a friend of mine was dumpster diving at a Hollywood film processing lab when he found a military locker full of 32 mm reels from Rainbow Bridge. All we had to view it was a hand cranked Moviola with no sound. I remember seeing a lot of the usual non-Jimi crap and some nice shots of Jimi on a horse. But no concert footage. :<

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    I wonder if they have any Maui footage other than the resynched footage that we've all seen. Until I hear more detail I'll try not to get my hopes up.
    I'm not getting my hopes too high either. BUT......if they're going to do a proper release of the Maui shows, which it looks like they will be doing, then they must have a decent amount of usable footage. The stuff that us collectors have is all single cam stuff (VC, Fire, DD etc) which really couldn't be used in a proper EH release. There's long been rumors that the single cam bootleg stuff plus what is in Rainbow Bridge is all that exists, but I remember Alan Douglas saying that his 1991 Woodstock video was pretty much all that existed as well. We'll have to wait and see.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCoconut77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Looking back at the last 2 concert/documentary releases (Miami and Atlanta) these were also accompanied by substantial audio only releases to go along with the film. Lets hope this is the same for the Maui release...

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

All this sounds fantastic and I'm looking forward to it, if they indeed release it. However I just want them to release 'Black Gold' already. While the Rainbow Bridge material sounds great, the fact of the matter is I'm perfectly happy with the recordings that are available currently. But I'll gladly accept a release that sounds like the two tracks from the concert that were on the Purple Box Set.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to uncle carmi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

We know that there is audio of both concerts. The double CD bootleg has the most material I have heard. It is decent but when listening to the two songs included on the purple box release it sounds like a bootleg. The really frustrating part is neither release has the introduction with that flowing beautiful slow instrumental playing that begins "Hey Baby". I remember the original film print was clear and full of vibrant colors. Crystal clear Jimi against a partially cloudy sky that day in Maui. They have used a brief section in the Atlanta Blu-ray/DVD release IIRC? It looks great to my eyes. One of the few daytime Jimi concerts filmed professionally.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpstat View Post
    We know that there is audio of both concerts. The double CD bootleg has the most material I have heard. It is decent but when listening to the two songs included on the purple box release it sounds like a bootleg. The really frustrating part is neither release has the introduction with that flowing beautiful slow instrumental playing that begins "Hey Baby". I remember the original film print was clear and full of vibrant colors. Crystal clear Jimi against a partially cloudy sky that day in Maui. They have used a brief section in the Atlanta Blu-ray/DVD release IIRC? It looks great to my eyes. One of the few daytime Jimi concerts filmed professionally.
    The concerts were not recorded under ideal conditions as we all know. Well I think that's the nature of the beast if you think the Purple Box sounded like a bootleg. To me it was the most professional sounding of them all but you can't expect them to get the same sound quality as say Miami Pop, or Atlanta. The wind was a mess and screwed with the microphones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uncle carmi View Post
    The concerts were not recorded under ideal conditions as we all know. Well I think that's the nature of the beast if you think the Purple Box sounded like a bootleg. To me it was the most professional sounding of them all but you can't expect them to get the same sound quality as say Miami Pop, or Atlanta. The wind was a mess and screwed with the microphones.
    No, you are misreading my post. The two disc Maui CD release which IS a bootleg when compared to the two songs released on the OFFICIAL purple box set make it evident of how much better the latter version is. Yes indeed the wind decided to contribute to the recording. It is still my favorite concert due to the location.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharpstat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow, lm hoping that they will throw in Newport as a special bonus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    Janie came on during the last 30mts of the podcast(by phone)
    she only mentions about Rainbow Bridge in the beginning and at the end, then she mentions something about a Dagger release, all the in-between stuff is the ususal banter from Janie.
    so I recorded her part only(18mts) thru Audacity as mono WAV, and rendered it as 16bit FLAC to reduce file size
    Thanks for posting this link Finally got around to listening to it. Aghh I said I wouldn't get my hopes up but from the way Janie is talking this is going to be like Atlanta, Woodstock, Monterey etc where we have the documentary at the start and then the concert afterwards. I'm officially excited