Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Janie on 2017 release plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 732 Posts

Re: Janie on 2017 release plans

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCoconut77 View Post
    Aghh I said I wouldn't get my hopes up but from the way Janie is talking this is going to be like Atlanta, Woodstock, Monterey etc where we have the documentary at the start and then the concert afterwards. I'm officially excited
    I think it depends what WBros still has in their possession...when EH re-released 'A Film About Jimi Hendrix' we got an additional 60mts of interviews not used in the film(this also has the Berkeley limo footage not seen in the EH Berkeley release where Jimi is smokin' a joint, when the special edition of Woodstock came out there was a completely different edit of "Spanish Castle Magic' on the bonus disc.Woodstock Directors Cut has different camera angles in Voodoo Child. In the book Ultimate Hendrix there is info. about Mitch re-dubbing drums while Kramer was watching the Rainbow Bridge footage(no songs are mentioned),

next page

####The reason no 'Rainbow Bridge/Maui' footage was included in 'A Film About Jimi Hendrix' was that Jeffery didn't want competition with the 'Rainbow Bridge' movie...Jefferey was also supposed to be in 'A Film About Jimi Hendrix' but kept postponing so they just decided to ignore him.

---
    have to check the bootleg to see what songs Mitch re-dubbed on.The 2nd show 'Dolly Dagger/Villanova Junction/Ezy Ryder' footage came from someplace but does prove that some of the 2nd show was filmed...Douglas never used this footage in any of his video releases; however Douglas did use a different edit(all the Pat Hartley footage was taken out)of Foxey Lady in one video where you can see more image on the left and right sides of the screen. Rhino holds the distribution for the Rainbow Bridge film now. There was an interview with Chuck Wein in Rolling Stone some years after where he mentioned the UFO incident and said their was footage of what people were seeing(not sure if the actual UFO was filmed) that was cut from the theatrical release,this is also mentioned by Potts saying that the 'cigar shaped' UFO was indeed filmed but wiped clean at WB development lab.Potts also states the 43hours of 35mm film was shot for the rainbow Bridge film.
    http://mauitime.com/culture/remembering-rainbow-bridge/

As it stands now we have approx 20mts(RB) and the 10mts of DD/VJ/ER and another 5mts of various out take footage...even if that gets restored that's 35mts of footage...I'm not including the double exposure stuff, I think EH owns that now.
    My guess it will be a McDermott directed film, since he got a taste of directing with the 'Electric Church' film(it's still on Reelz TV).
    ---
    What are the songs that Mitch re-dubbed drums on?
    Personally I thought the Maui footage showed the last time JH was really happy playing to a small crowd and trying out new material...Dolly Dagger and In From The Storm were 1st played live here.
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 11-17-16 at 02:59 AM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    What are the songs that Mitch re-dubbed drums on?
    I don't recall off the top of my head but if you listen to "Maui Wowee" (the Bob Terry tape source) it's really obvious where the overdubbed drums are. THey're definitely on "Hey Baby" from the first set. If I recall correctly you can hear the overdubbed drums for about four songs in a row and then they just drop off. They are louder in volume than the original drums that are still on the tape.

Thanks

I wonder what they'll do with the drums? I wonder if modern technology can do something to simulate what Mitch actually played, or if the out of sync overdubs will be used, or if they have an unheard (by me ) audience source or soundboard source? I'm worried about this one, I just want it to be right with the original performances. Can't stand an overdub on top of a live recording unless... Idk. Can't see it being that great. Don't want to get my hopes up like I did with the Miami DVD (which wasn't a Miami DVD and only had a couple partial songs, which I soon found out). Maui has much more but I hope they would choose to wait and get it right than throw it out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GourmetAudio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

See, I think with the precedent set by Miami, EH will be more than happy to build a documentary around the 35 mins or so of concert footage we've already seen. I'd love to be proven wrong and of course I'll buy whatever comes out but until I read otherwise from someone on the inside, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Paragraph in the description of the 'Rainbow Bridge Revisited' DVD
    "....
    Warner Brothers who was in on the editing and he said that when they brought the film over it was in all of these bags and there was sand in it and they were almost afraid to put it on their machine, and had to clean it all and they kept going through this stuff and it was just a lot of hippies talking about cosmic stuff and getting high on drugs, and everybody kept saying 'Where’s Jimi, where’s Jimi? Where’s the concert' You know they were afraid they weren’t going to have enough to make the movie really good, but finally they got to the 'Concert' footage....."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    See, I think with the precedent set by Miami, EH will be more than happy to build a documentary around the 35 mins or so of concert footage we've already seen. I'd love to be proven wrong and of course I'll buy whatever comes out but until I read otherwise from someone on the inside, I'm not going to get my hopes up.
    I see what you mean and that worries me too, however Miami was simply an extra and not a full blown documentary/concert release. Janie does say in the interview "There will be the documentary and then the concert itself". It could just be 35 mins or it might be 60 mins with 30 from each show?? Who knows, as long as we get say 3-5 songs we've never seen before then I'll be over the moon.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCoconut77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There is more than 35 minutes of footage I figure from what I know more like 60 minutes at least .There are a bunch of 10 minute film cans that are owned by an LA based collector .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCoconut77 View Post
    I see what you mean and that worries me too, however Miami was simply an extra and not a full blown documentary/concert release. Janie does say in the interview "There will be the documentary and then the concert itself". It could just be 35 mins or it might be 60 mins with 30 from each show?? Who knows, as long as we get say 3-5 songs we've never seen before then I'll be over the moon.
    Well Janie did mention in some interview(don't remember which one)that they had numerous film reels from Miami Pop and that they were working on making a Miami Pop doc/concert...but it turned out that the reels only had like 10mts of JH on them, so it then became a bonus instead...now this is exactly what is happening now...Janie mentions about working on a Rainbow Bridge doc(on an obscure radio interview)...
    we start thinking it'll be a doc/concert but in the end it may just turn out as another bonus.We've been seeing very brief clips of 'Maui' since the 'West Coast Seattle Boy' bonus DVD...then were was some on the 'Hear My Train A Comin' DVD. It could be that they don't know how to release it being it's a SBD with in and out drums. They have had the footage for years but nothing has been 'officially' released yet(except the brief clips).
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    There is more than 35 minutes of footage I figure from what I know more like 60 minutes at least .There are a bunch of 10 minute film cans that are owned by an LA based collector .
    The 35mts. is just an approx of the known released concert footage...it would be great but those cans could be nothing more than part of the other 40+ hours of the Mauians.
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 11-17-16 at 02:21 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

How about both sets complete without the weird editing that is in Rainbow Bridge? I prefer to be optimistic about these things. On Audio We now have both Miami shows complete (less one Purple Haze which may not have been recorded at all) as well as the complete Atlanta (less Hey Baby and despite being a completist myself I acknowledge the Hey Baby in Atlanta was a shambles). The point is I expect EH to give this release similar respectful treatment like Atlanta and Miami. Please just dont do what they did with the BOG improved DVD where if the film ran out they cut the sound too. Either leave the audio running over a black screen or play the audio over cool images. No harsh cuts please!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    How about both sets complete without the weird editing that is in Rainbow Bridge? !
    The drums will always be the problem due to the space wankers that think they can see flying saucers and that they had to record half way up a windy hill for no good reason other than the 'vibes', man It is unlikely that there is much more concert film due to these space arseholes, if they are still alive they are still talkin the same shit, they looked like they weren't far from the grave last time I saw an interview and they were still babbling the same flying saucer shite Sad.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,774 Times in 1,006 Posts

Jimi Hendrix’s sister to be sued by ex-bandmate over iconic guitars

http://nypost.com/2016/11/15/jimi-he...conic-guitars/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRadio View Post

Did she ever get the 'black widow' one back?
    I thought I read that one of her ex-husbands stole it from her.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,999 Times in 855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRadio View Post

Took me all of err, 5 seconds to realise the link between this and the thread, the name of Janie!!!!!!
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

I think the guy with the soundboard tape recorder at Maui simply pushed the stop button after each song, and the play button before each song. He forgot to push the play button right before Hey Baby and Beginnings. He did it too late. That's why we miss the first parts of these songs.

Thanks

Just the complete box-set of Berkeley with soundchecks, would do it for me...
    No use mentioning anything about RAH anymore, in our lifetime folks...

Thanks

l WANT RAH !!!

Thanks

New York Pop 70', San Diego 69' or L.A. Forum 69' would be such easy releases... they got all the material just sitting there or partially released
    Is the microphone on?

Thanks

we already have them in great quality!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyder52 View Post
    New York Pop 70', San Diego 69' or L.A. Forum 69' would be such easy releases... they got all the material just sitting there or partially released
    we already have them in great quality!

Thanks

Actually we dont have New York Pop 70 complete. Neither San Diego complete'and LA has only been releaed by Douglas