Thread: 1969-01-30 New York City, Mercury Sound Studios

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

1969-01-30 New York City, Mercury Sound Studios

Thursday 30 January 1969 – no gig
    New York City, Mercury Sound Studios, NY.
    Jimi flew back to his home town, New York City.
    Where he will produce four tracks for the Buddy Miles Express LP ‘Electric Church’ (Miss Lady, ’69 Freedom Special, Destructive Love and My Chant). The session notes and master tapes are apparently lost, so exact dates for the sessions are unknown, but between 30 Jan & 12 Feb.
    Mitch & Noel have been back home in the UK since 2nd December 1968.

We are told Jimi hung out at the Scene and the Tin Angel (no surprises there)

Velvert Turner [Claimed to be a close aquaintance - as a young teen-ager – he maybe “knew” him, in the sense that JH showed a bit of interest in him a few times on a very casual basis. By no stretch of the imagination could he be described as a “collaborator.” There are no photos and his name is never mentioned by anyone associated with Jimi. Anyone who read the books and interviews could claim the following details]:
    "He and Buddy Miles would listen to Moms Mabley and Pigmeat Markham albums all the time." [- Mitch Mitchell] They had this whole shuck-and-jive routine they would do, which would make them laugh for hours [- 23-02-70 session]. It was wild, especially when Tootie, Buddy's sister, would make chitlins, sweet potato pie, and all kinds of soul food. [He knows Buddy’s sister’s name] Jimi loved that [who wouldn’t]. He used to love to turn us on to the blues records from his col*lection. He played us Blind Lemon Jefferson, Robert Johnson, and especially Albert King. We would listen to those records for hours." [- So Jimi liked the blues]

Date: between 30 January & 10 February
    Producer: Jimi Hendrix
    Engineer: ?
    Supervision: Anne Tansey (for Mercury Records)
    She produced the remaining tracks, as Jimi had to return for his short tour of Germany, the Albert Hall shows and the film

Miss Lady (Buddy Miles)
    69 Freedom Special (Billy Rich, Jim McCarty, Tom Hall)

Billy Rich: "A lot of energy was put into that session. It was so much fun that it was like a dream. I'm just sorry that it was edited down before it was put on the album, because there are a few more great solos recorded on that track. [With Anne Tansey's help] I was out of the service and just starting to get a lot of shit off my brain for the first time in two years. The name I had picked out for the song was something like 'The Clap,' which wasn't too cool. In the studio, I was telling Jimi about my whole service thing and he said, 'Well, why don't you call this thing the '69 Freedom Special'?
    I agreed [laughs] because some of that shit I’m playing on bass I actually stole from him anyway!"

My Chant (Buddy Miles)

Destructive Love (Buddy Miles)

Buddy Miles: “Jimi just seemed to be looking for different things to do.”

Jim McCarty: Jimi was tired of having to do 'Purple Haze' on the road every night. He wanted to make the transition from psychedelia to his own style of funk rock. He was talking to people like Miles Davis and Buddy Miles about doing different projects, but his drug use was wearing him down."

Billy Rich: "He and Buddy had grown pretty close. At that time, Buddy was trying to get Jimi to do anything he possibly could with him. We did do a bunch of recording. We'd play all night, putting some little things down on tape and having a ball. Jimi never asked me to join the Experience, but he hinted that he wanted to get together with me at some point. It wouldn't have been with the Experience, because they were a solid thing. He was to also do something else.”

Friday 31 January 1969 – no gig
    New York City, NY.
    Jimi is in his home town, New York City
    Where he will produce four tracks for the Buddy Miles Express LP ‘Electric Church’ (Miss Lady, ’69 Freedom Special, Destructive Love and My Chant). The session notes and master tapes are apparently lost, so exact dates for “Miss Lady” & “My Chant”, possibly recorded at Mercury Studios, cannot be given, but between 30 Jan & 12 Feb.
    Saturday 1 February 1969 – no gig
    New York City, NY.
    Where he will produce four tracks for the Buddy Miles Express LP ‘Electric Church’ (Miss Lady, ’69 Freedom Special, Destructive Love and My Chant). The session notes and master tapes are apparently lost, so exact dates for “Miss Lady” & “My Chant”, possibly recorded at Mercury Studios, cannot be given, but between 30 Jan & 12 Feb.
    Sunday 2 February 1969 – no gig
    New York City, NY.
    Monday 3 February 1969 – no gig
    New York City, NY.
    Tuesday 4 February 1969 – no gig
    New York City, NY.
    Wednesday 5 February 1969 – no gig
    New York City, NY.

[Some of Jimi’s business notes to Mike Jeffery]
    Page 1
    February 5 Wednesday J.H. [initialled]

Notes: Most of these notes are in preference to a hopeful contact with England via phone. Please try when possible to contact London and tell Jerry or Trixie that I won't be in until Monday, maybe sooner The date of February 19 meet. Must be cancelled because of exhausting, but very important business over here. Please relay to English accountant about a change of meeting. Mention to Jerry potential lawyer of England notified through Jerry or Trixie. No, Steve Gold can not do Albert Hall film on February 18th if it's impossible to get rid of BBC unless legal rights papers and agreements are conformed.
    If 24th Albert Hall England goes through conformed we should as you said either abandon or really rethink the idea of the three individual groups idea for the 24 th and stress in England phone call that if by all means possible we should have the previous day of concert (AH England ) for ultimate private rehearsal in preparations for recording. Maybe afternoon, evening, whatever available. Or perhaps rehearsal hall. Discussion over definite studio time whenever available between next Monday if any when arrive in England (and March - New York ) about studio time.
    Tables: trash everything out of Generation that we do not need.

Page 2.
    This done as soon as possible. At least let it be mentioned, interview with "Rolling Stone" will not be over telephone but in person. I'd be happy to do one anytime between now and when I leave. It must be at this office address. Preferably tape interview. Matter of fact, please ask me about things like interviews in immediate future and please keep in mind that tape interviews are a must if it's a major or important article. We have an offer from “Village Other” about interview. Please have them call if possible to set a date before I leave or call them (weekly newspaper very good). Recording: Albert Hall February 18 th & 24 th? Please try to find out definitely about who will engineer recordings. Very
    important As soon As Possible. Please tell Mercury Records to stop hassling over names and payment agreements as far as Buddy Miles Express album goes. Please tell them both the group, the Emmy and myself are quite happy with the idea.

Page 3.
    TV specials should be looked into if not now, soon. We should have details on deals that we may be able to make (if any) and soon on the planning. I would like to see personal accounts on expense (as close as possible) to the present. Also on personal roughest figures. I know they should be able to take at least 5 or 10 minutes today and reply over the phone or by messenger service in an envelope an estimate of what's happening. If not in person early evening or something. A certain film crew I would like to make a try of them on 24th England AH something we must work out before I leave. On 24 th for replacing time and acts on the bill 24 th please look into booking Jethro Tull. Noel Redding's outfit (if not only for 20 minutes). A very definite word from Noel about that. We would like to try recording the Albert Hall on the 24 th as well as the 18 th. 24 th possible: Jethro Tull, Cat Mother or Buddy Miles Express or “Face” (check with Speakeasy's Roy Flynn).

Later this evening I would like to check out monies we may have coming in or lined up like
    posters, publishing royalties, record royalties, writers etc.

Page 4.
    Oh yes, almost forgot: please make clear to Mercury (contracts included or whatever legal mleans) that in due time the Buddy Miles Express new L.P. will be one of the biggest for Mercury and we are aIl (the group and myself) working very hard on it and it would seem to be honestly fair for my name alone to appear as producer and receive normal producer's fee. If there are hangups on Ann Tanzy's [sic. ] side of the fence as far as whose name goes where she may well be represented on the L.P. as supervisor. I know a name on an L.P. jacket sounds like small tut, rather an ego thing, but one
    of my ambitions is to be a good producer and extend. Therfore that's one of the main themes in the idea of the name being there. I planned to finish to the bone of the whole L.P. as long as the necessary Papers and attitudes on both sides (Mercury and us) are together. If I could work with Buddy and group without being entirely hung up over this fact over those fat starving....[rest missing]

Thursday 6 February 1969 – no gig
    New York City, NY.
    Friday 7 February 1969 – no gig
    New York City, NY.
    Saturday 8 February 1969 – no gig
    New York City, NY.
    Sunday 9 February 1969 – no gig
    New York City, NY.
    Monday 10 February 1969 – no gig
    New York City, NY.
    be given.
    Noel flew to Majorca for a short break on this day
    Last edited by stplsd; 09-03-17 at 08:33 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: