Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stone Free/Lover Man Sundazed

Thanks

Stone Free/Lover Man Sundazed

Looks like amother new release is listed on Amazon due out in January.
    Stones Free/Lover Man. Have they finally found the mono master of Stone Free?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N9...ee%2FLover+Man

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 181 Posts

Re: Stone Free/Lover Man Sundazed

Interesting. Could be Band of Gypsys live performances?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,998 Times in 855 Posts

Very interesting!

Stone Free mono [original mono mix] was released on 7" for RSD 2013 on the back of Hey Joe.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Attachment 27531

Description from Music Direct

Lost 1969 Jimi Hendrix Single!
    From Sundazed, the lost 1969 Jimi Hendrix single! Recorded in April, 1969, with key musicians from the guitar god's inner circle – Billy Cox on bass, Mitch Mitchell on drums, along with friends Roger Chapman and Andy Fairweather Low on backing vocals – this new platter features Hendrix's second studio attempt at "Stone Free," perhaps the song associated with him that best encapsulates the artist's restless renegade spirit!
    Reprise scheduled this axe anthem as a single not long after the sessions, but for reasons unknown, they issued an earlier version that was recorded in 1966 and had previously appeared as a 1966 B-side in the UK. This revised, rocking, razing take on a favorite song of the performers (he often played it in his shows) only later appeared on a posthumous LP in the '70s in an overdubbed version...but it is restored to the original performances here on the new Sundazed 7" edition. Also included is "Lover Man," a killer, funkified blues track with Cox on bass and Mitchell on drums, recorded summer, 1970. A tight and tempestuous groove that could've (and should've!) been an A-side of its own.
    Two sides of pure, original Jimi Hendrix in his prime, presented by Sundazed in partnership with Experience Hendrix, L.L.C., the fourth in the series of commemorative singles with a new picture sleeve, featuring unique and hard-to-find vintage performances!
    Last edited by Experiencereunited; 11-21-16 at 10:25 PM.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So nothing new then.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 732 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sunrise View Post
    So nothing new then.

No...they are trying to make them sound as if they are rare tracks or something...
    my guess is they are the tracks from the 'purple box' set which also was on vinyl
    so even that is nothing new.'Stone Free' was also released on Voodoo Child:The Jimi Hendrix Collection(MCA)
    "Stone Free" (Alternate version; April 7,overdubs 9 and 14, 1969)
    "Lover Man" (July 20, 1970)
    Jimi did have a thing for 'stone free' for some reason, in the book Ultimate Hendrix Jimi was thinking of
    releasing the Albert Hall live version of 'Stone Free' as a single.
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 11-22-16 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    No...they are trying to make them sound as if they are rare tracks or something...
    my guess is they are the tracks from the 'purple box' set which also was on vinyl
    so even that is nothing new.
    "Stone Free" (Alternate version; April 7,overdubs 9 and 14, 1969)
    "Lover Man" (July 20, 1970)
    Jimi did have a thing for 'stone free' for some reason, in the book Ultimate Hendrix Jimi was thinking of
    releasing the Albert Hall live version of 'Stone Free' as a single.
    I think his "thing" about Stone Free was it was his personal anthem of sorts...but that's just my guess :-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark7 View Post
    I think his "thing" about Stone Free was it was his personal anthem of sorts...but that's just my guess :-)
    Pretty sure it was the 1st song JH wrote after the Experience was formed; and it never got a proper release in the US at the time he was re-working it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Pretty sure it was the 1st song JH wrote after the Experience was formed; and it never got a proper release in the US at the time he was re-working it.
    To my ears, the original was much better anyway. Was the new one for "Smash Hits"?

Thanks

Stone Free; this is the version that appears on Crash Landing now said to be back to the basic recorded track.
    That said, wasn't the "unaltered" track released on "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" set, CD though!?

Lover Man; No real detail as to which this version is. Listing it as a recording from the "summer 70" gets us nowhere. Could be the live take from Atlanta!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Stone Free; to confuse the issue a little more we have a different take from the same date with AFL / RC backing vocal that appeared on Valleys of Neptune!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Stone Free; to confuse the issue a little more we have a different take from the same date with AFL / RC backing vocal that appeared on Valleys of Neptune!!
    Yeah but that VON one was a May 17th 1070 mix....doesn't sound at all like the '....only later appeared on a posthumous LP in the '70s in an overdubbed version.......'

That said, wasn't the "unaltered" track released on "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" set, CD though!?
    it was on both MCA releases, the 'The Jimi Hendrix Experience' (aka purple box set) and Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection collection
    Then later on the EH 'purple box set'.

Thanks

Yeah but that VON one was a May 17th 1070 mix....doesn't sound at all like the '....only later appeared on a posthumous LP in the '70s in an overdubbed version.......'

it was on both MCA releases, the 'The Jimi Hendrix Experience' (aka purple box set) and Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection collection
    Then later on the EH 'purple box set'.
    Yes indeed, I thought of the VoN version while out yesterday, as I thought of the AFL / RC backing vocals being used.

Yep, the "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" which is were it first appeared in 2000. The Voodoo Chile release followed in 2001. I had totally forgotten that the Purple Box Set had a vinyl release! This track has also seen a boot' release.

It does look like we may have that "Lover Man" from the "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" too rather than a Live performance version BUT were does either fit ......

"...................... featuring unique and hard-to-find vintage performances!"

The Jimi Hendrix Experience set is still available for purchase, Sony simply repackaged it [downsized the box] so both tracks are readily available in any record shop near you or even Amazon I guess.

Thanks

It does look like we may have that "Lover Man" from the "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" too rather than a Live performance version BUT were does either fit ......

"...................... featuring unique and hard-to-find vintage performances!"
    Beats me...marketing I guess.....like all the BS marketing about Atlanta footage never being seen for 40 years(even tho EH released 'Stone Free' footage as a bonus on the theatrical(widescreen) release of 'A Film About Jimi Hendrix)
    I'm just guessing about 'Lover Man' mainly due to the description said 'summer of '70, should have been an 'A' side single'; and the last time JH worked on it was July 20th, putting over dubs of guitar and vocals after he thought he finally captured the master basic track...it was the most 'worked on' version....JImi also had it on his 'songs for LP Straight Ahead' list.
    google books has pretty much of thefinal sessions March/July section here:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=o6...endrix&f=false

The Jimi Hendrix Experience set is still available for purchase, Sony simply repackaged it [downsized the box] so both tracks are readily available in any record shop near you or even Amazon I guess.
    Well EH also dropped the video bonus DVD too...that had a nice doc called 'Jimi and The Blues'..and the box itself changed color and didn't have the 'felt' feeling to it.

Thanks

I enjoy the guessing games pre release but always remain sceptical regard marketing from any of the associates to EH!

We did have some changes along the way with the Purple set, additional material added, as you point out the dropping of the DVD. We also had those different boxes it came in as well.

The change I reference is simply now the box is much smaller [CD square] with a purple printed cover [as you again note, long gone is the wonderful felt cover]. Well it is much cheaper too, making the content [Stone Free???? / Lover Man????] even more accessible!!

Thanks

We did have some changes along the way with the Purple set, additional material added, as you point out the dropping of the DVD. We also had those different boxes it came in as well.
    I forgot about the 4 bonus tracks added to the 2013 EH release.
    Oh and the issue with the DVD bonus wasn't MCA as I stated before...it was the 2005 issue from Universal Music Group.
    The change I reference is simply now the box is much smaller [CD square] with a purple printed cover [as you again note, long gone is the wonderful felt cover]. Well it is much cheaper too, making the content [Stone Free???? / Lover Man????] even more accessible!!
    Yeah, but a new copy of the Purple Box vinyl release goes for $275(us) and up...
    You are into vinyl....are you getting the RSD 10'inch 'Morning Symphony Ideas', supposed to be available today(25th Nov)?
    I guess it's an abbreviated form of the original...doesn't include the track morning symphony ideas on it ....if you can believe that.

Thanks

I forgot about the 4 bonus tracks added to the 2013 EH release.
    Oh and the issue with the DVD bonus wasn't MCA as I stated before...it was the 2005 issue from Universal Music Group.

Yeah, but a new copy of the Purple Box vinyl release goes for $275(us) and up...
    You are into vinyl....are you getting the RSD 10'inch 'Morning Symphony Ideas', supposed to be available today(25th Nov)?
    I guess it's an abbreviated form of the original...doesn't include the track morning symphony ideas on it ....if you can believe that.
    MCA and Universal are / were one and the same thing. EH told me :-)

Yep, I'm hoping to have a copy of the 10".

Yep, abbreviated from the original Dagger set!! Which makes me wonder just what the "new" Dagger is that Janie mentioned in the recent interview. My guess is a re -run of a previous Dagger issue only this time on Vinyl! But that is just a guess, hope I'm wrong and its something brand spanking new [from way down south :-)]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 485 Posts

Last edited by billo528; 01-11-17 at 10:06 PM.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I dig that cover: classy and a little retro. Here's hoping that "Lover Man" is something significantly different than what's already out there. For me the original experience studio take on "Stone Free" can't be topped so I'll stick w/that...

26. The Following User Says Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 485 Posts

From Sundazed, the lost 1969 Jimi Hendrix single! Recorded in April, 1969, with key musicians from the guitar god's inner circle—Billy Cox on bass, Mitch Mitchell on drums, along with friends Roger Chapman and Andy Fairweather Low on backing vocals—this new platter features Hendrix' second studio attempt at "Stone Free," perhaps the song associated with him that best encapsulates the artist's restless renegade spirit!

Reprise scheduled this axe anthem as a single not long after the sessions, but for reasons unknown, they issued an earlier version that was recorded in 1966 and had previously appeared as a 1966 B-side in the UK. This revised, rocking, razing take on a favorite song of the performers' (he often performed it in his shows) only later appeared on a posthumous LP in the '70s in an overdubbed version...but it is restored to the original performances here on the new Sundazed 7" edition!

Also included is "Lover Man," a killer, funkified blues track with Billy Cox on bass and Mitch Mitchell on drums, recorded summer, 1970. A tight and tempestuous groove that could've (and should've!) been an A-side of its own.

Two sides of pure, original Jimi Hendrix in his prime, presented by Sundazed in partnership with Experience Hendrix, L.L.C., the fourth in the series of commemorative singles with a new picture sleeve, featuring unique and hard-to-find vintage performances!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post: