Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stone Free/Lover Man Sundazed

Thanks

Re: Stone Free/Lover Man Sundazed

Quote Originally Posted by billo528 View Post
    From Sundazed, the lost 1969 Jimi Hendrix single! Recorded in April, 1969, with key musicians from the guitar god's inner circle—Billy Cox on bass, Mitch Mitchell on drums, along with friends Roger Chapman and Andy Fairweather Low on backing vocals—this new platter features Hendrix' second studio attempt at "Stone Free," perhaps the song associated with him that best encapsulates the artist's restless renegade spirit!

Reprise scheduled this axe anthem as a single not long after the sessions, but for reasons unknown, they issued an earlier version that was recorded in 1966 and had previously appeared as a 1966 B-side in the UK. This revised, rocking, razing take on a favorite song of the performers' (he often performed it in his shows) only later appeared on a posthumous LP in the '70s in an overdubbed version...but it is restored to the original performances here on the new Sundazed 7" edition!

Also included is "Lover Man," a killer, funkified blues track with Billy Cox on bass and Mitch Mitchell on drums, recorded summer, 1970. A tight and tempestuous groove that could've (and should've!) been an A-side of its own.

Two sides of pure, original Jimi Hendrix in his prime, presented by Sundazed in partnership with Experience Hendrix, L.L.C., the fourth in the series of commemorative singles with a new picture sleeve, featuring unique and hard-to-find vintage performances!
    To further add to the confusion..... Wasn't Noel on the April '69 recording of Stone Free (as listed on the Purple Box and Voodoo Child) and not Billy Cox?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 732 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBoy81 View Post
    To further add to the confusion..... Wasn't Noel on the April '69 recording of Stone Free (as listed on the Purple Box and Voodoo Child) and not Billy Cox?
    Supposedly, yeah....Cox didn't arrive in New York until the 21st(Ultimate Hendrix) only other work on Stone Free was May 17th with Billy Cox on Bass....the Valleys of Neptune version has the dates April & May implying that the basic master track is used from early April with Cox & Hendrix overdubbing.
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 12-06-16 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 181 Posts

To my ears it sounds more like they took the vocals and some guitar solos from the April version and merged them with an instrumental version done by Billy and Jimi. Much like they took vocals from September 1969 from Valleys Of Neptune and put them on an instrumental version of May 1970. Another example is the Somewhere jam with Buddy Miles and Steve Stiller from March 1968 for which vocals and lead guitar were flown in from another take.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,997 Times in 855 Posts

Samples of the audio can be found here ................

https://www.sundazed.com/post-link/?...-7-single.aspx

BUT, the samples are not showing on browsers other than Chrome at the moment.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Samples of the audio can be found here ................

https://www.sundazed.com/post-link/?...-7-single.aspx

BUT, the samples are not showing on browsers other than Chrome at the moment.
    For what it's worth (not much I'm sure ) the samples play on my Maxthon browser.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    For what it's worth (not much I'm sure ) the samples play on my Maxthon browser.
    Cool :-)

Its a bit of an issue for Mozilla, Microsoft Edge right now.
    Sundazed have been informed.

They sound good

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    Thanks for the heads up...Stone Free is the VON version and Lover Man is the Experience Box Set version
    I recorded them if you can't play them in your browser
    Stone Free/Lover Man samples(FLAC 11.1mb)
    https://mega.nz/#!PZUSmI7Q!gcqowZeGf...QGSTfQ0H7_ONF8

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the only thing "special" about the Sundazed releases are the 45 format and they will never include anything "new".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kees1954 View Post
    To my ears it sounds more like they took the vocals and some guitar solos from the April version and merged them with an instrumental version done by Billy and Jimi. Much like they took vocals from September 1969 from Valleys Of Neptune and put them on an instrumental version of May 1970.
    seems to be the consensus:
    "Stone Free" is not exactly the same as the version that appeared
    on the MCA 2000 box set. The basic structure dates from May 17, 1969
    and it features Billy Cox on bass this time (this was while Noel was
    still part of The Experience!). It's interesting as Jimi twists the
    usual riff into something a little different, giving a new angle to the
    Jimi's vocal and the backing vocals (Andy Fairweather Low and Roger Chapman)
    are in fact the same as those on the box set version."
    http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-oran...tudio2010s.htm
    ---
    Ultimate Hendrix(May 17, 69) has it as a 'audition' for Cox. Where Hendrix played 'Stone Free'(April '69 version)
    from the control room while Mitch and Cox were tested to see how they worked together.
    --
    Redding is also in the credits as background vocals(MCA Experience Box Set/Voodoo Child Collection)
    ---
    This is NOT the 'lost' single Sundazed advertises about.
    The original April 14th recording was the one that was supposedly chosen and rejected.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    seems to be the consensus:
    It's not clear to me what you are saying J.Lucas. Are you now saying that the sundazed Stone Free is different from the VON version?
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    It's not clear to me what you are saying J.Lucas. Are you now saying that the sundazed Stone Free is different from the VON version?
    No...not at all
    it's just what Sundazed describes and what the sample Sundazed give are two different mixes.
    they describe the April '70 mix but their sample is actually the May '70 mix...which explains why the have Cox as bass player and not Redding as the April mixes have them listed on the LPs. Valley of Neptune LP is hardly a rare find as they claim.
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 12-14-16 at 05:09 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    No...not at all
    it's just what Sundazed describes and what the sample Sundazed give are two diferent mixes.
    they describe the April '70 mix but their sample is actually the May '70 mix...which explains why the have Cox as bass player and not Redding as the April mixes have them listed on the LPs. Valley of Neptune LP is hardly a rare find as they claim.
    As I said in post #15 ...............
    "I enjoy the guessing games pre release but always remain sceptical regard marketing from any of the associates to EH!"