Thread: Tappy Wright

Thanks

Tappy Wright

I hear that Tappy Wright has died but I can't find any confirmation. Does anyone know anything?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,923 Times in 2,091 Posts

Re: Tappy Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Free the tapes View Post
    I hear that Tappy Wright has died but I can't find any confirmation. Does anyone know anything?
    Who gives a fuck anyway, he was a disgrace
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,966 Times in 1,051 Posts

TAPPY WRIGHT INTERVIEW

Claims Jeffery behind fake kidnapping, Jeffrey in debt to the Mob, got Jimi to sign $2 Million life insurance policy, and then had Jimi killed.

Go to the 5 minute mark in the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSoNkGj--g

TAPPY WRIGHT HAS DIED

By Lisa Hutchinson 25 NOV 2016

Tappy passed away on Monday, November 21, at North Tyneside General Hospital after suffering heart failure.

He leaves daughter Jo-Anne, son James, 38, stepchildren Tony Fairman and Jacqui Bulman, ex-wife Maureen Wright, and grandchildren Max, eight, Millie, four, Alexander, 15, Will, nine and Ollie, five.

Tappy’s funeral will take place on Monday, December 5, at 1.30pm at St George’s Church in Cullercoats.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...tappy-12227934
    Last edited by RobbieRadio; 07-22-17 at 08:30 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've wondered just what tours Tappy did with Hendrix. He speaks about Woodstock, doesn't say he was there, but it's implied.
    What years was he on tour with Jimi? 1967? Was he at Monterey and did he do the Monkee's tour? He seems to say he did.
    Was he with Jimi in 1969/1970?
    Was he based in New York in those years?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,966 Times in 1,051 Posts

JIMI HENDRIX WASN'T MURDERED BY HIS MANAGER, SAYS FORMER BUSINESS PARTNER 2011

"Jimi Hendrix was not murdered," says Bob Levine, who was the US manager of the late guitarist at the time of his death in 1970. "Despite the allegations that have recently been made, I need to set the record straight once and for all. Jimi died an accidental death, but he definitely wasn't murdered - not by Michael Jeffrey, his UK manager, and certainly not by anybody connected to him. The whole thing is one giant lie."

"Tappy wrote that Jeffrey was afraid that Jimi was going to leave him for a new manager," says Levine. "He also said that Jeffrey had taken out an insurance policy on Jimi that was worth a couple of million dollars and that he wanted to collect on it." (Jeffrey would die himself in a place crash in 1973.)

"All of which is ridiculous," says Levine. "I was Jimi's US manager, and Michael Jeffrey was Jimi's UK manager.

Regarding Wright's claim that Jeffrey murdered his star client, Levine says it was all cooked up to sell books. "I used to talk to Tappy every day," says Levine. "I've known him since the early '60s. He told me he was putting together a book about his years in the rock world. That's fine - everybody has a right to do a book if they can. But he told me, 'Bob, I need a hook for the book. I need a handle.' He needed something that would be a grabber. Well, saying that Jimi was murdered is a grabber; saying that Jimi was murdered by his manager is an even bigger grabber. But it's certainly not the truth."

"I told Tappy, 'What are you doing making up this story? So you want to sell books - why do you have to print such lies?' And he said to me, 'Well, who's going to challenge me? Everybody's dead, everybody's gone. Chas Chandler, Michael Jeffrey, Mitch Mitchell, Noel Redding…they're all gone. Nobody can challenge what I write.'"

In Levine's view, "Jimi Hendrix died by accident. He was a happy guy, looking forward to making music. And Michael Jeffrey didn't have it out for Jimi in any way. I talked to him the day before Jimi died. He had major plans for Jimi. The future was very bright at the time. The whole thing about Michael taking out a life insurance policy and wanting to collect? That's in Tappy's imagination, too.

"Michael signed an insurance policy on Jimi that the record company took out, and Jimi was aware of this. But that's standard. Frank Sinatra was insured by Reprise for millions of dollars. That's how business is done. Record companies take out insurance policies on major artists all the time. But it was nothing ruthless or dastardly on Michael Jeffrey's part. This is Tappy rewriting history."

"Rock Roadie" was published in the U.S. last year and Wright, 67, claims Levine, who worked for Jeffery here, waited until now to speak out against the book as retribution. Levine, who lives in Palm Coast, Fla., suffered a stroke in 2008, and the Orlando-based Wright says the ex-manager "wanted me to baby-sit him" because he's alienated his family and staff.

"He used to say, 'If you don't come through, I'm going to slag your book,'" claims Wright, who adds that he has a "signed and notarized" statement from Levine saying that "it's about time somebody wrote the truth about Jimi's death. He also did a video interview."

Levine denies Wright's claims. He says he is legally blind from his stroke but has "people taking care of me." He adds that he didn't discuss Hendrix's death in the video and has no recollection of signing the notarized statement.

Asked why he chose to speak out about the book now, Levine says: "Tappy dared me. He said, 'There's no one left to challenge me.'" Adds Wright, "I'm just correcting the story."

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...partner-453035

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...ticle-1.142516

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 361 Posts

chroniclelive.co.uk Whitley Bay roadie to the stars 'Tappy' Wright has died - read about his incredible life

(like incredibly dishonest life, ya mean! - JHF)

Lisa Hutchinson

6-7 minutes

Former Geordie milkman James “Tappy” Wright rose from humble beginnings on the banks of the Tyne to rub shoulders with the cream of the music industry.
    He mixed with a list of stars as long as your arm including Elvis to Ike and Tina Turner, The Animals to The Beatles and The Rolling Stones when he was a tour manager and roadie.
    But now, at the age of 72, Tappy has died surrounded by his loving family and with a string of memories that kept his stories going for years.
    “He had an amazing life, I took it all for granted,” said his daughter Jo-Anne Torre.
    “He was a lovable rogue, a real character, who made people laugh and had so many stories to tell.”

The Wildcats, from left, Harry Dixon, Tappy, Hilton Valentine and Ron McKenzie Cullercoats-born Tappy’s life with the stars started when he was with a band called The Wildcats who played church halls and community centres across Tyneside in the late 50s.
    But that led him to become a roadie with The Animals and a host of other top artists, and even at one stage co-managed Jimi Hendrix.
    When in The Wildcats Tappy was also working for Mike Jeffreys, who ran the Club Agogo, in Newcastle.
    At that time The Animals became the resident group at Club Agogo and were taken under Mike’s wing.
    But the group didn’t have transport for themselves and their equipment, so Tappy offered to drive them in his van and soon became their roadie.
    “The Animals just took off,” said Tappy. “They were crazy times. In America it was the Ed Sullivan Show one night and San Francisco, on the opposite coast, the next night.”

Tappy Wright with Eric Burdon and Bob Lavine, roadie for Frank Sinatra In an interview in 2008 Tappy told the Chronicle how he still fondly remembered those halcyon days and had a load of personal memories. Like the time The Animals were on Ready Steady Go with The Beatles.
    “The Beatles were setting up on one stage and we were pushing through to set up on another. Making sure not to bash against anyone with the equipment, I put my hand on Paul McCartney’s arm, and said, ‘Sorry Paul, just coming through.’
    “His response was terse. ‘Do you mind, don’t touch,’ he said. I felt like belting him one and out the corner of my eye I saw John Lennon looking on. ‘Go on Tappy, do us all a favour and hit the snob,’ said John. He obviously felt that Macca needed taking down a peg or two.”
    He added: “I thought Mick Jagger was a great guy. He would talk to anybody as if you were one of the lads.
    “I also have great memories of meeting idols such as Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry and Carl Perkins. They were so proud when you said how much you liked their stuff.”
    Once, a jet-lagged Tappy was crashed out in a hotel when he was rudely awoken by Elvis on the other end of the phone.
    “This is Elvis Presley,” says the voice on the line. “*!&$%£” replies Tappy as he slams down the receiver.

James 'Tappy' Wright with daughter Jo-Anne Torre on her wedding day Tappy was in Hawaii with Peter Noone, of Herman’s Hermits, who was there to interview The King for radio, when he hung up on Elvis.
    “I thought it was someone having a bit fun,” said Tappy.
    Later, after being told the truth, Tappy got on the phone to his idol and apologised.
    “Don’t worry,” drawled the Pelvis, “It happens all the time, in Memphis I can’t even order a pizza.”
    Tappy, who lived in Whitley Bay, said: “Elvis was great. He invited us down to the set of a film he was making, Paradise Hawaiian Style.
    “It becomes very strange when your ultimate idol is serving you soda pop, and calling you “sir”. Elvis was taken aback by my Geordie accent, which proved a bit of a problem for him.”

James 'Tappy' Wright with his son James Tappy was also part of the management team with rock giant Jimi Hendrix.
    And in 2009, in his book Rock Roadie, Tappy alleged the guitarist was killed by his manager, who feared he was about to be ditched.
    Since Hendrix’s death in a London hotel room in September 1970, it has generally been accepted he drowned on his own vomit after a drinking binge.
    But Tappy said his friend Michael Jeffrey drunkenly confessed to killing Hendrix by stuffing pills into his mouth and washing them down with several bottles of red wine because he feared the star intended to sack him.
    Tappy had a million stories to tell but ask him who his favourite stars were and he’d say he had a special place for Ike and Tina Turner.
    “I was their personal tour manager and spent a lot of time with them. My special memory is when we were relaxing on the tour bus with the radio playing and the great sing-a-longs. Ike and Tina would provide us with their own personal show as they sang along to whatever played.”

Ex roadie to the stars James 'Tappy' Wright with his grandchildren In the 80s and 90s, when Whitley Bay nightlife was at its height, Tappy ran Sands, the Big Apple and Whisky Bends. Jo-Anne, 37, of Whitley Bay, said: “It was at a time when Whitley Bay was buzzing. He was a showman and he was so well known in the town.
    “Even at the end he put his show-head on, he was making the doctors and nurses laugh right up until he died.”
    Tappy passed away on Monday, November 21, at North Tyneside General Hospital after suffering heart failure.
    He leaves daughter Jo-Anne, son James, 38, stepchildren Tony Fairman and Jacqui Bulman, ex-wife Maureen Wright, and grandchildren Max, eight, Millie, four, Alexander, 15, Will, nine and Ollie, five.
    Tappy’s funeral will take place on Monday, December 5, at 1.30pm at St George’s Church in Cullercoats.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhendrixfanatic For This Useful Post: