Thread: 1966-03-31 (~) USA, Atco release Help Me (Get The Feeling) Ray Sharpe

Thanks
    Thanked 5,148 Times in 2,219 Posts

1966-02-11 (~) USA, Atco release Help Me (Get The Feeling) Ray Sharpe

Friday 11 February 1966
    Around this date Atco release Help Me (Get The Feeling) Ray Sharpe Atco 4602
    31 Rolling Stones. Lyon, Palais d'Hiver x2, France
    April 1966
    Mitch was with Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames
    Noel was probably playing gigs with his mate Neil Landon’s band
    Linda Keith was probably in New York City by now [ie “Spring”]
    01 Hendrix, likely New York City or thereabout

Friday 11 February (19) 1966
    USA
    RECORD WORLD (page 6) Record Reviews
    Three Star ¤¤¤ Picks
    ¤¤¤
    Help Me—Part I (Kilynn-Pronto, BMI)
    Help Me—Part II (Kilynn-Pronto, BMI)
    Ray Sharpe—Atco 6402
    (Page 30) R&B Beat Where It’s At By Kal Rudman:
    [...] "Help Me," Ray Sharp, sounds like a stone "down" winner. . .”
    R&B Reports
    Burke Johnson WAK Atlanta
    PLAY
    Help Me—Ray Sharpe—Atco

Friday 11 February (19) 1966
    USA
    CASH BOX (page 10) Record Reviews
    • best bet B+ very good B good C+ fair C mediocre only those records best suited for commercial use are reviewed by Cash Box.
    Pick Of The Week [last of 14. Ed.]
    HELP ME—PART I (2:31) [Kilynn-Pronto, BMI—Ousely, Sharpe, Dupree]
    HELP ME—PART II (2:00) [Kilynn-Pronto BMI—Ousely, Sharpe, Dupree] RAY SHARPE (Atco 6402) Ray Sharpe can speedily get back into his years-back money-making ways with this initial Atco stand labeled “Help Me.” It’s a pulsating, blues-drenched raunchy, plea for tenderness and romance. Side could do well in both the pop and r&b markets. There’s more of the same danceable riffs on the flip.

Friday 18 (26) February 1966
    USA
    RECORD WORLD (page 32) ‘R&B Beat’
    “Gil Lamar of WTMP, Tampa, checked in, and he is the P. D. The picks are: Johnny Taylor; Edwin Starr; and James Crawford. Other deejays there are: Jim (The Angel) Murray and George (Mr. T.T.T.) C. Top Pick: Ray Sharpe.

Friday 28 February (5 Mar) 1966
    USA
    CASH BOX (page 10) Looking Ahead
    A compilation, in order of strength, of up and coming records showing signs of breaking into the Cash Box Top 100. List is compiled from retail outlets.
    50 Help Me (Kilynn-Pronto—BMI)
    Ray Sharpe (Atco 6402)

Friday 28 February (5 Mar) 1966
    USA
    RECORD WORLD (page 20) Primary Record Exposure Chart
    Help Me—Part I
    Ray Sharpe (Atco)
    SOUTH
    KONO San Antonio 51
    (Page 24) R&B Beat Where It’s At By Kal Rudman:
    Donny Brooks, Musical Director of WCHB-Detroit, flashes that the Top Pick this week is “Too Much” by the Entertainers on Chess. Others Donny is playing: ...Ray Sharpe, Atco....

Friday 4 March (12) 1966
    USA
    RECORD WORLD (page 27) [Red & Black text ad] THE SOUL SOUND ON ATCO
    Deon Jackson
    Love Makes The World Go Round (Carla #252)
    Mary Wells
    Dear Lover (Atco #6392)
    Googie Rene
    Slokey Joe’s La La (Class #1517)
    Ray Sharpe
    Help Me – Part I (Atco # 6402)
    (Page 50) TOP 40 R&B
    40 HELP ME
    Ray Sharpe (Atco)
    (Page 62) R&B REPORTS
    Donnie Brooks WCHB Detroit
    Picks & Play
    Help Me—Ray Sharpe—Atco

Friday 11 March (19) 1966
    USA
    RECORD WORLD (page 11) R&B Reports
    Jerry Thomas, KNOK Ft. Worth
    HITS
    Help Me—Ray Sharpe—Atlantic

Friday 1 (9) April 1966
    USA
    CASH BOX (page 12) Looking Ahead
    A compilation, in order of strength, of up and coming records showing signs of breaking into the Cash Box Top 100. List is compiled from retail outlets.
    28 Help Me (Kilynn-Pronto—BMI)
    Ray Sharpe (Atco 6402)

Friday 1 (9) April 1966
    USA
    BILLBOARD (page 60) ‘New Action R&B Singles’ Help Me (Get The Feeling) Ray Sharpe Atco 4602. [Sharpe is backed by King Curtis & his band which includes Jimi. Ed.]
    02 Hendrix, likely New York City or thereabout
    Early April New York City, ‘Ham and Eggs’ restaurant, New York, USA
    Note: According to Jimmy Mayes the street outside this restaurant was basically Mayes' "office". He claims that not just Knight, but also he and Jimi were pimps around this time.
    Diana Carpenter (using the alias “Regina Jackson”), then a sixteen-year-old run-away who was supporting herself by prostitution, claims she met Hendrix here, and he moved in with her at the Lexington Hotel, they apparently had an on-off relationship that lasted till the end of August. Hendrix it seems was still seeing Faye Pridgon though, and at some point in this time frame also has a relationship with Carol Shiroky, Curtis Knight’s ex, spending time with her at the Lenox Hotel. He later appears to have accepted that he was the father of Carpenter’s daughter Tamika, according to Steingarten’s communications with him and Steingarten’s urgent visit to London, not to mention the telling lyric in his song about “Tami”, or is it “Tammy”? either way it’s close.
    So Jimi was quite probably now having concurrent ‘relationships’ with his “ex” Faye Pridgon (who he seems to have still had a very close emotional relationship with), Carol Shiroky & Diana Carpenter. There are several claims that Knight was a pimp, his “ex” Shiroky stayed in a hotel, regularly visited by Jimi. I don’t want to ‘dish the dirt’ on her (she has remained a ‘shady’ figure only giving one interview), but circumstantially, it doesn’t look ‘good’ and Carpenter was a self admitted prostitute at the time – begs the question, was Jimi a pimp too? Jimmy Mayes claims he, Knight AND Jimi were all basically pimps as well as musicians at this time.
    02 Hendrix, likely New York City or thereabout
    Last edited by stplsd; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:58 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."