Thread: 1966-05-11 Allegro Studios? 1650 Broadway, New York, NY

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

1966-05-11 Allegro Studios? 1650 Broadway, New York, NY

Wednesday 11? May 1966
    New York City, Allegro Studios? 1650 Broadway, New York, USA
    Producer Lonnie Youngblood
    Probably on, or close to this date Hendrix plays on a Lonnie Youngblood single, Go Go Shoes b/w Go Go Place
    Mitch is with Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames, UK
    Noel, probably still playing in a group with Neil Landon? UK
    New York City, New York, USA
    Around this date Linda Keith met Hendrix in New York City.
    "The Village Voice" advert for the Cheetah club featuring their cheetah/woman logo: "with The Denims and Curtiss Night", equally large text, the Denims were a chart act, but Knight and his band were obviously seen as a large popular draw too.
    12 Bob Dylan & the Hawks. Birmingham, Odeon Cinema, UK
    12 Rolling Stones, BBC TV Centre, London, UK.
    ‘Top Of The Pops’, “Paint It Black”
    18 New York City, New York, USA
    The Squires were leld over for another week; a 2nd "Village Voice" advert for the Cheetah club featuring their cheetah/woman logo: "with The Denims and Curtiss Night" again. The next week Carl Holmes & the Commanders took over on 25th.

New York Post, a daily, was also used but almost no adverts from it have been made public. There must be NYP collections from this time frame, they are obviously more valuable to us for info than the weekly ads in VV.
    I have no access to New York Post through 1966 (someone living in NYC? Please? Yes, I know research is very tedious - but Jimi's New York history, would a New Yorker not want to know? You have to check our the daily listings - small shit near the back page, that's where you might find additional Knight/Hammond/ Blue Flame stuff, adverts are not necessarily where you expect them, they are though usually grouped together over two pages at most. Fuck's sake! This period when Jimi moved to NYC was the most interesting /fundamental social rights change in US history bar the Civil War and WWs 1&2! Why are NYC fans not raiding the newspaper collections? You would not believe the effort I went to, to find out my (old) city's involvement in the story (ie Glasgow) in Scottish newspapers, but it ended up being a very enjoyable and enlightening experience, I could not help but see my history in those pages too.
    Last edited by stplsd; 07-31-17 at 11:05 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: