Thread: Has anybody listened to the vinyl version of Blue Wild Angel?

Thanks

Has anybody listened to the vinyl version of Blue Wild Angel?

Several years ago I bought the vinyl version of Blue Wild Angel: Live at the Isle of Wight. I never listened to it. Every now and then I clean the the bookcase in which I stored it, and I shift the album in and out. I scratched the bottom of the paper cover (or Album Jacket like they seem to call it in English, and I am Dutch), which really annoys me because I paid so much for it (...like seventy euro or something). I removed the plastic in which it was originally wrapped. I smelled it and took out the LP's to see if they were actually there.

I want to know if anyone on this forum listened to the vinyl version of this album. I can find nothing about it on the internet. How does it sound compared to the CD-version?

Now that I have seriously scratched the paper cover, I am planning to dig up my dad's ol' turntable, desecrate the vinyl and take a listen.

What I notice is that Midnight Lightning and Foxy Lady are on one side of one of the three LP's. On the CD version they are sliced apart and are on different CD's. Do they segue into one another on the LP?

I notice that the CD version is very loudly mixed, as if they maxed out the volume. I'm referring to the so-called Loudness War. I have learned that you can't max out the volume on vinyl because the needle will jump out, so audio engineers are forced to make a much softer mix for the LP version. They have to be really careful and make test runs on cheap turntables to see if it works. I have learned that the vinyl version of Stadium Arcadium by the Red Hot Chile Peppers sounds much better on vinyl, compared to the CD-version. The sound is deeper. You can find comparisons of youtube.

I wonder if the same might be the case for Blue Wild Angel.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 832 Posts

Re: Has anybody listened to the vinyl version of Blue Wild Angel?

Cool. I think you'll enjoy it.

Maybe check the stylus on the TT, not too costly to have a new one put on at a local dealer.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

The Philips FP140 turntable is not compatible with my modern Sony STR-DH130 receiver. Turns out I need a preamp, which are not built into modern receivers anymore. Well, these preamps cost 30 bucks, so perhaps I'll buy one .... or not.

The turntable still works. I tested it with a crappy old LP. I could hear music coming from the stylus, very softly.

The turntable is a mystery device to me. Where is the on/off button? Turns out you have to lift up the stylus and the LP starts to rotate. You put the needle on the LP, turns out I had to turn the protective ring (which protects the needle) upward. And it turned out that I had the stylus in its "down" state when I put it on the LP. And how do you remove the LP from the cover? The only way I can do it is to touch the sensitive parts with my fingers.

I think I'll pass.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 832 Posts

Well we all can't be experienced, can we? Ha ha.

Maybe you should stick with the CD format and then move onto hard files so you have no sensitive parts to touch what so ever !
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

I have the Classic Records 200 Gram release, which I recently recorded to digital and I can assure you it sounds very good. I had some problems with sibilance on a few of the early EH releases, but this was does not have that issue and sounds very good. Midnight Lightning also fades out into Foxy Lady like the other releases. I cannot compare it to the CD release but compared to the DVD-A it has a more natural, warm sound. Hope you decide to give it a spin and enjoy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Kush View Post
    Midnight Lightning also fades out into Foxy Lady like the other releases. I cannot compare it to the CD release but compared to the DVD-A it has a more natural, warm sound. Hope you decide to give it a spin and enjoy!
    Thanks for the answer! My preamp will arrive today.

Thanks

I have it up and running. Everything works. I'm sacrificing a fake Hendrix LP called Super Star with fake tracks like Hey Leroy and House of the rising Sun. I'm listening to it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DoctorGero For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I listened to the first LP of Blue Wild Angel. It doesn't sound better than the CD in my opinion. The CD sounds a little bit better. But, it was an informative experience anyway. My conclusion is that vinyl sucks. I could even hear pops and clicks on this brand new LP. And the audio degrades near the end of a side, but I have read about this phenomenon earlier.

Next I'm going to desecrate my polydor STEREO 2612037 version of Electric Ladyland which has never been played on a turntable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Kush View Post
    Midnight Lightning also fades out into Foxy Lady like the other releases.
    No! I finally reached this side. Midnight Lightning and Foxy Lady are not cut apart like on the double CD. They segue right into each other without editing. That means that the vinyl contains some data that the CD version lacks.

Thanks

Pops and clicks? One of the potential natures of vinyl.... Did you clean the lp first? One of the truths about vinyk is it rarely sounds exactly fhe same on each play. So many variables, cleanliness of vinlyl, stylus condition, tracking settings, static in the room, where yiur turntable physically sits in relation to ur amp all provide an effect on the sounds output. When dialex in though vinyl can be really sweet. I am starting to think blu ray audio and SACd have finally at least gotten to the sound quality level as good as or pehaps better than vinyl in some cases with the right setup

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    Pops and clicks? One of the potential natures of vinyl.... Did you clean the lp first? One of the truths about vinyk is it rarely sounds exactly fhe same on each play.
    No, I didn't clean it. As a matter of fact, I could see the dust specks lying on the LP's. I think it immediately attracted to the LP's once I exposed them to the air. I blew a really big one away. I even have an LP-cleaner and a stylus cleaner which came with the turntable. But the manual says to be careful with the stylus cleaner because I could damage the stylus, so I stay away from that.

I have learned that the arm could be too short, which might be a reason why the quality deteriorates so much near the end. But... it doesn't sound bad, I think CD's sound a little better. When the music doesn't play I can hear a bit of a hum or buzz, probably from the preamp. I think I have to buy a new turntable with an integrated preamp if I want to solve this, but this is not worth it for me.

Just another thing a noticed. They had to split up Ezy Rider and Hey Joe. Side A of LP 3 ends with the start of Hey Joe, and then it fades out. Side B starts with the end of Ezy Rider and it fades in. And unfortunately Machine Gun and Hey Baby are not complete on the LP's just like on the CD's.

And it might be a possibility that the Classic Records 200 Gram release mentioned by Voodoo Kush is not the same version I have. My version is a limited edition version numbered 02892. It has the code 088 113 086-1.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,195 Times in 1,786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGero View Post
    No! I finally reached this side. Midnight Lightning and Foxy Lady are not cut apart like on the double CD. They segue right into each other without editing. That means that the vinyl contains some data that the CD version lacks.
    That's why I bought the vinyl (sounded excellent to me), transferred that bit to digital and mixed in with the rest. I can't remember too well, but I think there's a bit of Hey Baby [intro?] only available on the Douglas mix, possibly a couple of other wee bits here and there. It was a long time ago since I tweaked by digital mix of the complete show.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 622 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    That's why I bought the vinyl (sounded excellent to me), transferred that bit to digital and mixed in with the rest. I can't remember too well, but I think there's a bit of Hey Baby [intro?] only available on the Douglas mix, possibly a couple of other wee bits here and there. It was a long time ago since I tweaked by digital mix of the complete show.
    Well, share plz!