Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Dagger Release

Thanks

New Dagger Release

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TOMC For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: New Dagger Release

Quote Originally Posted by TOMC View Post
    I´m disapointed, i was waiting for a better album, and couldn´t care less for Curtis Knight

Thanks

Yawn.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,754 Times in 2,023 Posts

Severely disappointing, but not unexpected of course, that it is such a limited selection of songs. 'Last Night' is a dreadful choice, crap delivery of the crap Elvis version of the song, and it's definitely a studio track anyway as, I’m betting, will be the version of Killing Floor included here? Sadly Bleeding Heart would appear to be incomplete on the tape they got from Chalpin (like all versions we have) as it surely would have been included here otherwise? This abrupt cut of the song (broken string most likely) makes it obvious that it is either a ‘studio’, or closed door session.
    It is patently obvious that none of the so called ‘live’ tracks are being performed before an open audience, although the performances are recorded as ‘live’ on most of the tracks (except for above), ie straight through, warts and all and no overdubs. They may have been recorded in George's (which I very much doubt), if so it was behind closed doors as there is no genuine audience audible.
    Maybe if it sells enough they might sell us some more? But everything depends on if the sound/editing is a large enough improvement on the stuff we all know and love so much, heh-heh.
    But I cannot wait to hear it, hopefully a large enough sonic improvement to make it worthwhile, but being reduced to a release on Dagger I'm not holding on to any great hopes.
    I think it unlikely we will get any pre-release samples.
    It would be be nice if they have found some definite info on these tracks. Hopefully it won't just be assertion without evidence/reference, even some decent testimony from others of those involved at the time, could be welcome as Knight's is not to be trusted.
    Dagger seems to be only available direct from EH so, thanks to Brexiteers (victims of tawdry con men), is now prohibitively expensive to those in the UK - $21.82 ie £17.63 by snail mail! Unless they make it available at a decent price in the UK I'll be getting it elsewhere.

50/50 Jimmy & Knight lead vox

Jimmy ‘James’ vox:

Killing Floor
    Get Out Of My Life Woman
    I’m A Man/Mannish Boy [ie Jimi’s versions of this song always contain bits of lyrics from Muddy’s later version. One of the two ‘Squires’ versions contains several additional verses which seem to be by ‘Jimmy’, including his 1st version of ‘Two Old Maids’. I’m pretty sure this will not be the version here]
    Travelin’ To California

Jimmy ‘James’ lead vox & unknown? harmony vox:

Land Of 1000 Dances [from Cannibal & the Headhunters’ version]
    What’d I Say [harmony, Knight?]

Jimmy ‘James’ & unknown? vox:

Come On [has anyone compared this tune with Let The Good Times Roll?]

Curtis Knight lead vox & Jimmy ‘James’ harmony vox:

Mercy, Mercy
    Baby What You Want Me To Do
    I’ll Be Doggone

Curtis Knight vox:

One Night [this is the correct title]
    Sweet Little Angel
    Thaw Out [this is the correct title, not Curtis’ ‘Drivin’ South’ which he used to collect royalties for himself. What’s the betting Curtis’ crap ad-libs are still on what would otherwise be a most enjoyable version of this Albert Collins instrumental]

Curtis lead vox & unknown? harmony vox:

Ain’t That Peculiar
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-01-17 at 05:51 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damiangularte View Post
    I´m disapointed, i was waiting for a better album
    Me too. Is this an indication that EH really have nothing earth shattering left in the vaults?? Of bootleg quality that is.

Thanks

One way or another EH will recover all the money Ed Chalpin screwed from Jimi. The Who summed it up in a lyric, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffalorattle View Post
    One way or another EH will recover all the money Ed Chalpin screwed from Jimi.
    No chance If you had said, "One way or another EH will recover all the money they spent aquiring these tapes," I think that unlikely as well.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Interesting to note that the text accompanying the announcement credits "Drivin' South" to Albert Collins. That would be a first in terms of official credit (as far as I'm aware).

This is also only priced at $8.99. I wonder if that's an indication of how "You Can't Use My Name" did as a mainstream release? We've never had a Dagger priced that low before (although I'd welcome the new trend ).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 269 Posts

For those who do not yet have the healthy habit of checking out the EarlyHendrix website about, well ... early Hendrix things , here are their first impressions of the new release:

earlyhendrix.com (bookmark as essential): http://www.earlyhendrix.com/menu-news

NEWS

LIVE AT GEORGE`S CLUB 20 (28.2.2017)
    Dagger Records, the mail order only label operated by Experience Hendrix will issue a new cd, "Live At George’s Club 20", in March 2017. The exact release date is a bit unclear, an exclusive news story on bestclassicbands.com stated that Dagger Records "has released" the cd suggesting the disc is already out but then the article ends with the note that the cd "will be available" at the Jimi Hendrix Store. The Dagger Records website front page says the release is "now available" but the releases listing states "Released: March 3, 2017". The Dagger Records Store (where you actually order the cd) in turn says "This is a pre-order and is expected to ship on or around March 17". It would have been hard to make the release date information more confusing...

live at georges club 20 [cover photo on site]

In any case the disc will come out sometime in March 2017 and is credited to "Curtis Knight featuring Jimi Hendrix". The Lovelights are credited in the text on the Dagger Records website as the band that is heard on the recordings:

"These raw recordings, made at George’s Club 20 in Hackensack, NJ on December 26, 1965 and January 22, 1966, capture the Lovelights (filled out with bassist Ace Hall, drummer Ditto Edwards and saxophonist Lonnie Youngblood)"

This however is again quite confusing, we know from the already released recordings that there are two sets of band introductions on the tapes, each with different personnel. As the cd is taken from recordings from two different dates the line-up given cannot be correct for all of the recordings.

The track list given for the release on the Dagger Records website is as follows:

1. Introduction - :41
    2. Killing Floor - 3:22
    3. Last Night - 2:24
    4. Get Out of My Life Woman - 3:48
    5. Ain't That Peculiar - 4:24
    6. Mercy, Mercy - 3:30
    7. I'm A Man - 5:17
    8. Driving South - 6:03
    9. Baby What You Want Me To Do - 3:47
    10. I'll Be Doggone - 2:57
    11. Sweet Little Angel - 4:33
    12. Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go - 3:55
    13. Travelin' To California - 4:30
    14. What I Say - 4:52
    15. Land of 1000 Dances - 4:38
    16. Come On (Let The Good Times Roll) - 4:10
    17. Band Outro - :57

I am of course very disappointed that the disc will not include all of the recordings, instead apparently only a selection of tracks deemed worthy of release by the producers has been included. Any collector seriously interested in these recordings would have wanted both sets complete and unedited. But neither Experience Hendrix nor Dagger Records releases are aimed at the hardcore collectors so it was inevitable that everything would not be released. After all there are multiple takes of the same songs, some songs are incomplete and others (at least on the tapes that we have heard) have terrible audio quality. Releasing two versions would have been an excellent option, an edited highlights disc and a 2 or 3 disc complete set - but that must not have been considered to make sense commercially and / or artistically.

If you count the timings together you get a playing time that would be just under 64 minutes. According to the bestclassicbands.com news feature the cd will be "followed by a double vinyl LP version for Record Store Day 2017 on April 22". The Dagger Records website makes no mention of a vinyl release but if indeed there will be one then let's hope some bonus tracks will be included, 64 minutes is not very much music for a double lp when you could easily fit 90 minutes over two lps and still have good audio quality. When Experience Hendrix released the "You Can't Use My Name" Curtis Knight studio recordings compilation (50 minutes long on cd) they dropped tracks in order the fit the material on one lp so now releasing a short (but complete) 2lp set would be a surprise move.

The text on the website also mentions that the cd includes "two songs Hendrix would go on to play with the Experience: “Driving South” by Albert Collins and Howlin’ Wolf’s “Killing Floor.”". First, there is no Albert Collins song called "Driving South". Jimi lifted the main riff and other bits for "Driving South" from the Albert Collins song "Thaw-Out" so the notes confuse things badly. Secondly, the Experience did indeed later perform "Killing Floor" but they also performed "Mercy, Mercy" and "Come On (part 1)" - so the Jimi Hendrix Experience actually performed live or recorded in the studio four of the songs on the new cd, not just two.

The bestclassicbands.com feature links to a teaser video clip on the Jimi Hendrixs VEVO / YouTube -site which includes a nice interview with Ace Hall, sound clips ("Killing Floor", "I´m A Man" and "Last Night") used as background music and pictures of the band. Incredibly there are two new photographs, one from Ondine and another from an unknown location (cropped so tight it's not possible to see any of the surroundings).

The new Ondine shot is especially interesting as it shows the whole band including Nate Edmonds on keyboards and Marion Booker on drums who were not visible in the previously seen photos, hence the line-up for this gig is now finally known. The second new picture, in colour, is probably one more from the gig that I have appropriately listed under "unknown location". What can be seen of the background would seem to match the old pictures as would the shirts that Curtis and Jimi are wearing - but again this is very tightly cropped so some speculation is involved here.

So, even though it looks like we will not be getting all of the recordings (and we always want more) the 4 minute teaser video has already provided some quite valuable new bits and pieces of information. Very much looking forward to actually hearing the recordings in what should be best ever quality.

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks

boring release

16. The Following User Says Thank You to purplehazechild For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

Hopefully the location and dates are from tape boxes or other reliable documentation, that would settle a few question marks. I don't see why the tracks couldn't have been recorded in New Jersey; they were the house band there, so why not record there? And again, there are no studio multitrack recordings here, an often repeated fallacy (imo). A few tunes have slightly clearer sound and no audience sound whatsoever, but they are clearly recorded with the same primitive equipment.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    A few tunes have slightly clearer sound and no audience sound whatsoever
    If you listen closer there is no actual 'audience' on any of these, so called, 'live' recordings. At most, there are four people (on a couple of songs, less on others and none on others) who are just talking to each other or the band, mostly it is just band members shouting out comments to each other, there is absolutely no sound of an audience responding in any way. If they were recorded at Georges it wasn't in front of an open audience, ie there were using it at as a studio, albeit they were recording the songs as 'live', straight run through warts and all. The 'live' introductions are present on two tracks in this compilation that have absolutely no pretence at being 'live' there is no background 'live ambience' at all and they are better quality and stereo: 'Last Night (wrong title, it's actually 'One Night') and the version of Killing Floor here (if the short clip played in the vimeo is the one on the CD).
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-12-17 at 09:38 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    If you listen closer there is no actual 'audience' on any of these, so called, 'live' recordings. At most, there are four people (on a couple of songs, less on others and none on others) who are just talking to each other or the band, mostly it is just band members shouting out comments to each other, there is absolutely no sound of an audience responding in any way. If they were recorded at Georges it wasn't in front of an open audience, ie there were using it at as a studio, albeit they were recording the songs as 'live', straight run through warts and all. The 'live' introductions are present on two tracks in this compilation that have absolutely no pretence at being 'live' there is no background 'live ambience' at all and they are better quality and stereo: 'Last Night (wrong title, it's actually 'One Night') and the version of Killing Floor here (if the short clip played in the vimeo is the one on the CD).
    Yeah, on some tracks you can hear a small group of people talking, perhaps Carol Shiroky among them.
    Last Night is the Mar-Keys cover:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5T9GvSnbY
    Though they recorded the Elvis tune One Night too, but it's not on the comp.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah, on some tracks you can hear a small group of people talking, perhaps Carol Shiroky among them.
    Perhaps, could be anybody, anywhere, like the dodgy intros? and the whole shebang

Last Night is the Mar-Keys cover:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5T9GvSnbY
    Though they recorded the Elvis tune One Night too, but it's not on the comp.
    Thanks for pointing out my mistake, there was some Elvis chat somewhere and I jumped

24. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Thanks for pointing out my mistake, there was some Elvis chat somewhere and I jumped
    As long as we're jumpin'... One Night (originally "Of Sin" instead of "with you") was a cover by Elvis. The original is Smiley Lewis:

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    As long as we're jumpin'... One Night (originally "Of Sin" instead of "with you") was a cover by Elvis. The original is Smiley Lewis:
    Yes. Nice link. Elvis version is shit. Smiley is the man.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What happened to Rainbow Bridge?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by susep73 View Post
    What happened to Rainbow Bridge?
    l reacon

Thanks

Well I pre-ordered... just... history I guess...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hood View Post
    Well I pre-ordered... just... history I guess...
    Me too. Love to hear their new mix. Na na na na na (land of a 1,000 dances quote)

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post: