Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Dagger Release

Thanks
    Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,609 Posts

Re: New Dagger Release

Quote Originally Posted by kees1954 View Post
    Wow indeed a steep price. I think I paid around Euro 20. Mostly postage.
    If you paid 20 euro that's the same as 17.63
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My copy arrived today. I'm halfways listening. Sound is very good and very clean. No audience at all. One new Ondine's picture in the booklet, albeit out of focus. I'm happy!!!
    Couldn't find this Dagger release in Discogs (yet). It was shipped from Farm House, Lawrenceville, GA.
    I'm in a rush, having dinner in a minute. Hope to give some more details later.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have to correct myself. On some songs there is an audience, e.g. Sweet Little Angel.
    Only heard Lonnie Youngblood in the background on I'm A Man and I'll Be Doggone, as he is listed in the credits (as a member of the Lovelights).
    It's funny that Jimi is calling the key in which he is playing in almost every song. In Dec. '65/Jan. '66 one would think
    that the Lovelights performed enough times to have established a fixed arrangement for each number in their repertoire.
    The CD stops with Curtis announcing that they will be right back. Is this some hint that there will be another Dagger sometime soon?
    Last edited by kees1954; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:56 PM.

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My copy arrived today. I'm halfways listening. Sound is very good and very clean. No audience at all. One new Ondine's picture in the booklet, albeit out of focus. I'm happy!!!
    Couldn't find this Dagger release in Discogs (yet). It was shipped from Farm House, Lawrenceville, GA.
    I'm in a rush, having dinner in a minute. Hope to give some more details later.
    I'm glad you got yours but wow, I can't believe this made it from Georgia (U.S.) to The Netherlands before I got mine here in the states!! I'm still waiting at this point as I'm sure a lot of people are.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    I'm glad you got yours but wow, I can't believe this made it from Georgia (U.S.) to The Netherlands before I got mine here in the states!! I'm still waiting at this point as I'm sure a lot of people are.
    Still waiting on mine, and I'm one state over from GA. I've bought every Dagger release and this has been the most frustrating to date

10. The Following User Says Thank You to schmitty76 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

More listening notes:
    Killing Floor: mono, rather lame rhythm guitar and sloppy drums no audience '65
    Last Night: same
    Get Out Of My Life Woman: same (very vague) audience (Carol Shiroki only?)
    Ain't That Peculiar: tambourine
    Mercy, Mercy: tamboutine Ace Hall (falsetto background vocals) girls audience
    I'm A Man: sax + rhythm
    Drivin' South: strong rhythm guitar (Christmas+1) '65
    Baby What You Want Me To Do: narrow stereo with some echo on the right channel, '66
    I'll Be Doggone: w/ sax, mono '65 nice interchanging vocals by Curtis and Jimi
    Sweet Little Angel: narrow stereo with some echo on the right channel, '66
    Let's Go (x3): lame rhythm guitar, narrow stereo with some echo on the right channel, '66
    Travelin' To California: mono with audience '65?
    What I Say: narrow stereo with some echo on the right channel, '66
    Land Of A 1000 Dances: narrow stereo with some echo on the right channel, '66 Ace? on tambourine
    Come On: mono, nice rhythm guitar, '65
    Outtro: narrow stereo with some echo on the right channel, '66

Possible line up: '65 Jimi, Curtis (guitar and vocals), Ace Hall (background vocals, tambourine), Harry Jensen (bass), George Bragg (drums), Lonny Youngblood (sax on two songs)
    '66 Harry Jensen (guitar), Ace on the bass

Me thinks that the early photos At George's Club 20 in the booklet are from October when Ditto was in the band, than Jimi went touring with Joey Dee, and after his return found two new players Harry and George (club-owner). That might explain why Jimi is calling out the key in which he plays the songs. Also it may be possible that on Christmas plus one the visitors in the Club came in rather late due to the holidays, because you hear a little more audience after each song as the evening progresses.
    The other photos in the booklet are all from May, June '66, when the line-up of the Squires was completely different.
    Next project, comparing the Dagger CD with all the previous releases as they ware assembled painstakingly by Doug Bell and Nico Bauer.

Somewhere between a few hundred magazines I have an article with an interview with Ed Chalpin from 10 odd years ago where he mentions that three concerts were recorded. Maybe the 3rd date was Feb. 14, '66, a date mentioned ages ago? If I could find back the magazine ... when I do I'll put up a scan on CTT. I'm afraid this may take some time

Thanks

Did some of you living in Europe received their Dagger CD ? I'm still waiting mine (no email yet from EH LLC).

At least, I've got my LP from Sony Legacy (Record Store Day)

YM

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazid Manou For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What a lucky, mine is not digipack...
    I must say that I was expecting less than the record is... Killing Floor, Mercy Mercy (listening remembering the stones, I should say it), Sweet Little Angel, Come On... really really good, and the sound is amazing!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 521 Posts

Haven't got my copy yet :-/.
    But, it's true that some of the tracks feature a second accomplished rhythm and lead guitar player, must be Harry Jensen. He has a couple of solos (Shotgun and Wooly Bully), but on Sweet Little Angel, Drivin' South and a few others you can heard him doing really sophisticated rhythm work far beyond what Curtis Knight was capable of.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazid Manou View Post
    I'm still waiting mine (no email yet from EH LLC).
    Finally I sent them a message and I received this :

"Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out! We're currently working on fulfilling all orders containing this item at the moment. We appreciate your patience! A confirmation email will be sent as soon as your order leaves our warehouse
    ."

YM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazid Manou View Post
    Finally I sent them a message and I received this :

"Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out! We're currently working on fulfilling all orders containing this item at the moment. We appreciate your patience! A confirmation email will be sent as soon as your order leaves our warehouse
    ."

YM
    I was really lucky to be one of the first to receive my copy already. It is truly a very nice CD! The quality compared to what was released in all those years before (I count 50) is really a lot better!!!!!
    I typed many details into the Discogs.com database. Couldn't find the catalog number, though Anybody else?

Thanks

I was really lucky to be one of the first to receive my copy already. It is truly a very nice CD! The quality compared to what was released in all those years before (I count 50) is really a lot better!!!!!
    I typed many details into the Discogs.com database. Couldn't find the catalog number, though Anybody else?
    88985410162 -

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Interesting review at Early Hendrix.com - with comments from John Mc Dermott regarding the mixes.

http://www.earlyhendrix.com/23-artis...b-20-cd-review

PP

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pederpropell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,560 Times in 546 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pederpropell View Post
    Interesting review at Early Hendrix.com - with comments from John Mc Dermott regarding the mixes.

http://www.earlyhendrix.com/23-artis...b-20-cd-review

PP
    "With "Live At George`s Club 20" everyone was hoping to finally hear the live tracks as they were recorded, without Ed Chalpin`s manipulations and in improved sound quality. That hasn`t happened. "

Oh dear.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to purple jim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    "With "Live At George`s Club 20" everyone was hoping to finally hear the live tracks as they were recorded, without Ed Chalpin`s manipulations and in improved sound quality. That hasn`t happened. "

Oh dear.
    Yeah...it just another mix to throw on the pile with all the other Curtis Knight/Jimi Hendrix releases....
    actually we should've guessed by the fact that it was a Dagger release and not a Legacy release like the last Curtis Knight 'Can't Use My Name' one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,560 Times in 546 Posts

So we don't know whether Chalpin withheld the raw tapes or whether they are lost forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    Yeah...it just another mix to throw on the pile with all the other Curtis Knight/Jimi Hendrix releases....
    actually we should've guessed by the fact that it was a Dagger release and not a Legacy release like the last Curtis Knight 'Can't Use My Name' one.
    Not really. Several of the tracks are upgrades in sound, and the fake audience noise and echo is dialled down considerably - I'm happy with that.