Thread: Jimi Hendrix Woostock Blu Ray revisited

Thanks

Jimi Hendrix Woostock Blu Ray revisited

I recently watched/listened to jimi at Woodstock on Blu Ray many differnt ways in stereo setting. On the Blu Ray itself there is a DTS 2.0 and DTS 5.1 option. I found that I preferred the 5.1 version converted to a stereo signal by my AV receiver far more than just listening to the DTS 2.0 stereo straight in without any conversion. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon on this or other blu rays? Or is the 5.1 mix just superior in this particilar case on the Woodstock Blu Ray... even after being converted to stereo.

Also to note I found the Newport 6-20-69 Fire portion of the Blu Ray far superior to the DVD. Too bad talking heads are over a good 1/3 of the Newport footage!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Jimi Hendrix Woostock Blu Ray revisited

Is there an aud tape that circulates of Jimi at Woodstock? I think I have seen that maybe one song in aud format circulates. During the second look BW Hear My Train there is a clear shot of an audience member taping near the stage.

Back to the mixers. I think I prefer the 5.1 mix (converted to stereo) over the 2.0 mix when listening in stereo because you can actually hear Larry Lee, Juma and Jerry Velez (albeit low in the mix). In the 2.0 mix you can't hear them at all.

I still would like to see a mix in the future where you can hear all the band members up in the mix. (plus the 2 missing songs which we know for sure were at least filmed in BW). We have the old mixes which have their advantages but please give us a proper historical document of this great show.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    I recently watched/listened to jimi at Woodstock on Blu Ray many differnt ways in stereo setting. On the Blu Ray itself there is a DTS 2.0 and DTS 5.1 option. I found that I preferred the 5.1 version converted to a stereo signal by my AV receiver far more than just listening to the DTS 2.0 stereo straight in without any conversion. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon on this or other blu rays? Or is the 5.1 mix just superior in this particilar case on the Woodstock Blu Ray... even after being converted to stereo.

Also to note I found the Newport 6-20-69 Fire portion of the Blu Ray far superior to the DVD. Too bad talking heads are over a good 1/3 of the Newport footage!!
    You are most likely hearing the "lossless version" which is slightly louder and clearer due to the higher sampling rates used to master the original audio.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharpstat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Actually on the Legacy Blu Ray both the 2.0 and 5.1 are DTS HD so both are lossless. I firmly believe i simply like the 5.1 mix better in stereo than the 2.0 version simply because at least on this blu Ray the 5.1 mix is substantially more to my liking converted to stereo than the straight 2.0 mix. There have been 4 different issues on video of the EH Jimi plays Woodstock. MCA/Univesal DVD and Blu Ray as well as Legacy DVD and Blu Ray. I have the MCA DVD and Leg y Blu Ray so I cant speak for the MCA Blu Ray but the LEgacy Blu Ray only offers DTS HD as a listening option 2.0 or 5.1. Lossy otions on the Legacy Blu Ray are not an an option to use

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpstat View Post
    You are most likely hearing the "lossless version" which is slightly louder and clearer due to the higher sampling rates used to master the original audio.
    This has nothing to do with sample rate. Sample depth is relevant to some extent; theoretically, more sample depth allows for a lower noise level and more volume dynamics. But nobody gains anything from higher sample rates than 44kHz. All the additional frequencies are inaudible to the human ear (max frequency = samplerate / 2, adults usually don't hear anything over 16kHz). And virtually all hi-res audio I've looked at so far has just noise in the additional frequency range and hardly any desired signal at all.

The difference you're observing means it is just a different mix, that's all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hendrixfan1995 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    the 2 missing songs which we know for sure were at least filmed in BW
    Hi EU, I previously assumed that these two were on the B&W reel, but I have not seen any actual evidence/testimony that they were in fact filmed, For those of us that missed it, could you please point us to your source?
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Fenders Fingers posted a link in the knowledge base section of this site for this show date explaining the Bw footage source. This a place u visit frequently aleady STPLSD no?

And here is another siurce that refers to 17 songs in the film

https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1441862.html
    Last edited by Experiencereunited; 03-07-17 at 11:18 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post: