Thread: Jimi Hendrix - Freedom multi.flac

Thanks

Jimi Hendrix - Freedom multi.flac

Jimi Hendrix - Freedom multi.flac

As most of you probably know, a couple of Jimi Hendrix songs made it to the Rockband console game and were subsequently shared online in various multitrack formats, such as .MOGG or .OGG, and sometimes also as individual .FLAC or .WAV files. But don't be fooled by that moniker, as these are all sourced from a lossy encoding! Worse, they were almost always mixed in a way that makes the individual tracks unlistenable, with skips, jumping between tracks, fake reverb and sometimes unneeded spectral separations. Some of you might have heard of the Beatles "Moggical Mystery Tour", an attempt to piece together the "raw" multitracks from the rockband files. That is already a few years old and just relied on oopsing (phase inversion) or center extraction.

I took that idea a little further to see what could really be achieved with all the tools, tricks and techniques I discovered this past year. These go way beyond oopsing in the traditional sense and allow me to isolate virtually anything at great quality with very little artifacts. I cleaned up a few Beatles multitracks this way and now I wanted to try this on a Jimi track. I chose "Freedom" to begin with.

So the main objective was to
    -get everything into continous tracks
    -get as close to the original multitrack configuration as possible
    -remove compression artifacts and noise

After initial separations with oopsing, most of the work was done in ISSE (free and open source!), employing the power of machine learning to separate one track into two. To reduce compression artifacts, the missing frequencies were first resynthesized via harmonic excitation in Audacity, and joined into the original track via spectral molding in SpectraLayers.

Note: All files are mono FLAC files at 48kHz, so you would have to resample them incase you want to burn a CD. All files are in sync with each other, but some are incomplete and thus clipped to reduce unneeded blank space.

Lineage:
    Master Reel -> ... -> Rockband OGG files 48kHz -> WAV 32bit 48kHz -> Audacity, Sony SpectraLayers 3, ISSE -> WAV 32bit 48kHz -> mono FLAC 16bit 48kHz

01 Drums L
    02 Drums R
    Sound quality: A
    Completeness: A
    Confidence: A

The drums are recorded in stereo, and it looks like they were all recorded live. The game makers have split these 2 tracks into 8 tracks, but none of that seems to be an overdub. These 4 stereo tracks were all merged down into 1, which was then split into two mono channels.

03 Bass
    This was mixed in stereo with track 08; the overlapping pieces have been ISSEd to remove compression artifacts.

04 Rhythm Guitar
    This was all over the place, in dozens of pieces! Some of it was mixed in the "guitar" track, with a lot of reverb noise from the lead guitar, and the rest was mixed in the "song" track. Everything has been isolated, then stripped of all fake reverb, delossified and finally equalized to match the raw source.

05 Lead Guitar
    This was mostly intact in one channel of the "guitar" track, with just a few blank spots. These could all be isolated from the "song" track by their spectral footprint, completing the lead guitar track.

06 Congas
    Sound quality: B
    Confidence: A-
    Juma Sultan's track. This was all in the "song" track, with only fragments actually pristine; everything else was salvaged from beneath the rest. Isolated, you can hear some remains of the other tracks at times, but it works very well in a full mix.

07 Extra Guitar + Piano
    Sound quality: A-
    Confidence: B
    These two should most likely go on separate tracks, but that would cause too many artifacts on the very faint guitar track so I decided it is better to leave them together.

08 Fuzz Bass
    Completeness: C
    This track doubles the bass lick in two spots with a fuzzy bass sound. After oopsing from the "rhythm" track, the rest only held compression artifacts, which have been removed.

09 Lead Vocal
    10 Backing Vocals
    Sound quality: B
    Completeness: C
    Both vocal tracks were mixed in the "vocals" track. Oopsing yielded the raw tracks, but at the cost of amplifying the reverb between them. These might be updated in the future with a better version.
    Last edited by Fenders Fingers; 03-03-17 at 10:44 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hendrixfan1995 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Jimi Hendrix - Freedom multi.flac

..i know i've hopped on this one early but fyi i'm not seeing anyone seeding this...

Thanks

Yeah I'm having trouble with the torrent. I think I did the same as last time (create torrent, upload to CT, download torrent, start seeding), but for some reason the torrent stats here don't show up and my torrent client says "unregistered torrent"...

Thanks

Ok this time I used TLH to create the torrent and everything seems to be working! Something must be broken in qBittorrent's torrent creator...

Hm apparently not. CTT Tracker is working now but my client sees no peers. Will try to fix it later. Sorry folks!

Scratch that, it just took a while for it to find the seeders apparently... Seeding now!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,929 Times in 830 Posts

This is sourced from official material hence being pulled from the site.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Oh well.

"No official or out-of-print material is allowed. To keep our site legal, we will strictly enforce this ban on officially released songs being included on any seed. This includes any out-of-print or deleted albums, or compilations with officially released songs. It also includes audio ripped from an official DVD-Video regardless of whether that audio has ever been released on CD. The only exception to this rule is FM broadcasts where a portion of a song has been released as part of a release promo or studio interview. Note that FM broadcasts where a complete officially released song is played are not allowed on our tracker. Please remove any complete songs if you would still like to seed, and be sure to note in your info file what was removed so that traders can fill in the blank with the complete song from the official CD."

None of the audio tracks shared here is found on the official version (ie. the original OGG files) as is. The audio is processed and thus different. As I see it, none of the seeding rules is violated.

Regardless of that, the "nothin official"-rule wouldn't help a bit in a court case.

Thanks

I understand what your saying but the very fact that the material you uploaded is sourced from offically released material [and can be reconstructed as such] it is not allowed here.

The fact that all the multi's have never been shared via a CTT torrent would be a clue to this soured material not being allowed!

Thanks

My point is, you can't even recreate a single fragment of the original OGG tracks from these. Therefore it is impossible to recreate the source, and only the fact that it was based on something that was officially released remains. By that logic, any alternate mix of any commercially released song would also be forbidden, as both can be traced back to the same multitrack recording.

But there's no point in arguing; rules are rules...

Thanks

Yep, rules is rules indeed.

I'm not risking the site for a multi for what its worth.

We didn't allow the other multi's based on official release source so this ain't allowed!

So, no officially RELEASED material or sourced FROM material here at CTT.

Thanks

I'll delete this thread soon so I suggest you make means to share your excellent work some way.
    I can suggest you post a link in the 3rd stone section for downloading it as I'm sure there are plenty who would like to hear this.

Thanks

Alrighty, will do so!

Direct link to the file or link to another site where it's linked in turn? The rules are more relaxed at bootlegzone.com so I could post it there and link to that thread if you like.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan1995 View Post
    Alrighty, will do so!

Direct link to the file or link to another site where it's linked in turn? The rules are more relaxed at bootlegzone.com so I could post it there and link to that thread if you like.
    The game multis are already posted here.....
    post#2
    http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...tis#post115760
    granted they are the oggs(most out of synch') and also broken down into added tracks....the original oggs were only 4 separate tracks....thru time people have broken down the drums,etc into added tracks.....all the game multis have been painstakenly resynched converted to FLAC and shared thru PM years ago.