Thread: NEW FOOTAGE! Dallas 1969 Channel 8 interview (1:15, color)

Thanks

NEW FOOTAGE! Dallas 1969 Channel 8 interview (1:15, color)

Check my Hendrix covers on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/user/ggreg93

Thanks

Re: NEW FOOTAGE! Dallas 1969 Channel 8 interview (1:15, color)

wow awesome!!!

Thanks

Fantastic find! Great video and audio. Jimi's short hair period! Look at Noel picking things of Jimi's jacket toward the end of the clip. Mitch seems all smiles. Looks like the band still was having fun even if readings of this period paint a more gloomy picture.

Thanks

Just found this on YT and was about to post about it here lol. It's always such a special event when you see brand new footage of Jimi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCoconut77 View Post
    Just found this on YT and was about to post about it here lol. It's always such a special event when you see brand new footage of Jimi
    Have you got the YT link ? thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffalorattle View Post
    Have you got the YT link ? thanks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLfATK0n-os

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCoconut77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 200 Posts

FANTASTIC!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,605 Posts

Sunday 20 April 1969
    Dallas, Love Field Airport, TX, USA. JHE

1 min. 15 sec. interview (on arrival), colour film for Channel 8 by unknown. Everyone seems amused and having a good time. Mitch is in the background wearing a large bright red and blue sectioned po’boy hat and daft shades, Noel is in his daft floppy felt hat. Jimi was photographed wearing the same outfit backstage at the Auditorium.
    The very next day in New York (on the quiet, the others were, conveniently, in L.A.) Billy Cox began working with Jimi as replacement for Noel (his final sesssion was on 14 April) , there was no limo to meet Billy at the airport, Jimi used sit-in drummers Rocky Issacs and Buddy Miles for these sessions and told Billy to keep away from the office and not to talk to management. Note: Jimi kept it quiet that he was using Billy as his bassist until after Noel left - Denver 29 June. (when Jimi announced it was their last gig and someone let Noel know that Jimi had been working with 'other musicians'), and even for a couple of weeks after that, he used the Dick Cavett Show bassist (George Duvivier) and drummer (Bob Rosengarden) on his 1st TV appearance! Jimi only let it be known on 10-7-69 (nearly three months after he began working with Billy) during his appearance on The Tonight Show with Billy and Ed Shaughnessy (from the house band, sitting in on drums), when Jimi mumbled Billy Cox was his new bass player, in the intro to the 1st song.
    Interestingly Jimi gives Linda Keith kudos in the interview. It goes something like this?:

C8: “Do you consider yourself a drop out from society?” [Noel mimes dropping down Jimi’s side, interviewer laughs]
    JH: Not neccessarily. No. Because we’re making our own society, if you give us a chance. They might-Oh, I shouldn’t say that ah-ha-ha-ha.
    C8: No. Go ahead
    JH: No. I love that, ‘drop out’, man. I’m still livin’ and breathin’ just like you. We’re just livin’ a little different. We just have different ways of expressing ourselves. Which should be the free point of view anyway, you know
    C8: Your lyrics seem to have quite a bit of sophistication for what people in, in America consider a high school drop out should be writing.
    JH: Yeah, well, it’s what, we’re for, for anybody that’s gonna, ah, get theirselves together, you know. We’re not for the, whole lot o’ people sittin’ around in a big drug den, sittin’ around [gestures as if smoking a joint] complaining. If they’re sittin’ around an’ still tryin’ to get theirself together some kind o’ way, you know. Regardless if it’s a drop-out of society, or whatever it might be. Or if it’s the people in society. We’d like to get anybody’s mind together, because the idea now is to communicate. Not-not to ah, knock one another, you know, rebel and all this. Well, quite naturally you have to start somewhere so you go through rebellions. But the idea is to communicate.
    C8: Wha’...
    JH: And for everybody to be respected, regardless of what group scene you might be in, you know. [Noel starts ‘grooming’ Jimi’s jacket like a chimp.]
    C8: Bob Dylan have a great deal of influence on you at all?
    JH: Yeah, mentally more so though, than any other way
    C8: In what way? Did he, did he start to turn your mind on and get you started thinking, or what?
    JH: Yeah, him and this girl named Linda Keith turned my mind on-heh.
    Last edited by stplsd; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:07 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

10. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

"footage from the WFAA Newsfilm Collection, housed at the Hamon Arts Library at SMU. Jeremy Spracklen — the Moving Image Curator — compiled the short video"

https://flashbackdallas.com/category/music/

It seems cut off at the end, albeit at a great spot! It is like there could be more after that Mr. Spracklen didn't use.

So cool to see this surface, just amazing.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jhendrixfanatic For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hey! I saw The Jimi Hendrix Experience in person that same night! They must have been boarding a plane to Los Angeles! They played Friday night June 20, 1969 at Newport Pop and I was there! Too bad Jimi was no longer in such a good mood by the time they took the stage.

Or wait a minute, the footage says JUNE but this post says APRIL. Which was it? Maybe it didn't air until June?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    Hey! I saw The Jimi Hendrix Experience in person that same night! They must have been boarding a plane to Los Angeles! They played Friday night June 20, 1969 at Newport Pop and I was there! Too bad Jimi was no longer in such a good mood by the time they took the stage.

Or wait a minute, the footage says JUNE but this post says APRIL. Which was it? Maybe it didn't air until June?
    The Flashback Dallas website says the footage was filmed on April 20, 1969, which makes sense as they played Dallas that night and Love Airfield is in Dallas.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    The Flashback Dallas website says the footage was filmed on April 20, 1969, which makes sense as they played Dallas that night and Love Airfield is in Dallas.
    Jimi was also photographed pre-show backstage in Dallas wearing exactly the same outfit.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    Hey! I saw The Jimi Hendrix Experience in person [...] Friday night June 20, 1969 at Newport Pop and I was there! Too bad Jimi was no longer in such a good mood by the time they took the stage
    I'm sure we'd all love to hear any memories you have of this gig, or any other Hendrix gig you were at

Thanks

The Tiny Tim song is hilarious . .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCoconut77 View Post

https://flashbackdallas.com/category/music/
    didn't play on my laptop or desk I got it from youtube, so many thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 819 Posts

Plays OK thru the link. Scroll down, click read more and click on video!
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 819 Posts

If anyone can grab it and post as a torrent here that would help.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan