Thread: 1969-04-20 Love Field Dallas

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 859 Posts

1969-04-20 Love Field Dallas

This was kindly posted by J. Lucas and I managed to get a video upload of it working here!
    The original find came with the following ....................

The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Love Field, 4/20/69
    by Paula BosseMy Tiny Tim post from a few days ago has been surprisingly popular — who knew Tiny Tim was still so admired! I tracked down the original source of one of the clips I’d used — which I had stumbled across on YouTube — and found that the clip comes from a longer video of footage from the WFAA Newsfilm Collection, housed at the Hamon Arts Library at SMU. Jeremy Spracklen — the Moving Image Curator — compiled the short video (see below) and posted it a couple of months ago on the Hamon Library blog. The Tiny Tim footage is great, but there’s also Glen Campbell (in a very short discussion on the importance of Tommy Smothers to his career), and… oh my god, footage of Jimi Hendrix, standing on the tarmac of Love Field with bandmates Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding on April 20, 1969, giving a great, relaxed interview to a very lucky Channel 8 reporter.

Jimi Hendrix appeared at least 4 times in Dallas:
    • Feb. 16, 1968: Fair Park Music Hall
    • Aug. 3, 1968: Moody Coliseum, SMU
    • April 20, 1969: Memorial Auditorium (where he was headed after the Ch. 8 interview)
    • June 5, 1970: Memorial Auditorium

Dallas Morning News, Jan.. 21, 1968
    DMN, Feb. 25, 1968 (click to see larger image)
    DMN, July 28, 1968
    Two surprising errors (grammatical and factual) appear in a Neiman-Marcus tie-in ad (of sorts) which states that Jimi would be at Memorial Auditorium, rather than Moody Coliseum. Despite the error, it’s cool that Neiman’s was expanding its cultural horizons to include someone like Jimi Hendrix in one of its ads (which was featuring teen fashions, but still). N-M has always had its finger on the pulse of current fashions — and Jimi Hendrix was certainly fashionable.

DMN, July 31, 1968 (ad detail)
    DMN, April 20, 1969

Jimi & Noel Redding, WFAA-Ch. 8, April 20, 1969 (screenshots)
    June 5, 1970 — poster via**
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Fenders Fingers; 04-14-17 at 09:07 AM.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,464 Times in 734 Posts

Re: Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    From J Lucas.

Hope it works! If so I'll add detail later for the record.
    Yep...it's working...trackers are up and running(so far)
    ---
    jimi_wfaa_hamon_smu-1.jpg
    INFO:"footage from the WFAA Newsfilm Collection, housed at the Hamon Arts Library at SMU. Jeremy Spracklen — the Moving Image Curator — compiled the short video"
    --
    The Flashback Dallas website says the footage was filmed on April 20, 1969, which makes sense as they played Dallas that night and Love Airfield is in Dallas.
    source:https://flashbackdallas.com/category/music/
    --
    Tiny Tim footage is great, but there’s also Glen Campbell (in a very short discussion on the importance of Tommy Smothers to his career), and… oh my god, footage of Jimi Hendrix, standing on the tarmac of Love Field with bandmates Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding on April 20, 1969, giving a great, relaxed interview to a very lucky Channel 8 reporter.
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 04-13-17 at 11:31 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Dallas

This footage is so precious because there is relatively very little where he explains himself and it's without fault far removed from the trippy image thrown on him during and after his short life: he always comes over as highly intelligent, sensitive, quick-witted, very aware of the moment and humorous, easy to laugh at things and even himself. Thanks!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tintinesk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: 1969-04-20 Love Field Dallas

The Tiny Tim clip on the end is hilarious. .

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BURTCOBAIN For This Useful Post: