Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upcoming Maui Release

Thanks
    Thanked 2,881 Times in 867 Posts

Re: Upcoming Maui Release

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    so did Mitch only do the drum parts for the footage that was planned to be put in the movie? Or all the footage they had.
    WB was getting angry about the film snd demanded all the footage to be sent to them...it was sent however the guys made a 'saftey copy' of the film before sending it....then WB set the film to Electric Lady to be over dubbed....
    then it was sent back to the original guys who edited it into a 17mt clip...the edited it that way because they thought it flowed better for the film. According to Les Potts(Maui Times-Remembering Rainbow Bridge-8-20-2010) they shot 43 hours of 35mm tape(film).
    Some of it is listed in the Jefferey archive list.

--
    According to "Morning Symphony Ideas"; the track 'Scorpio Woman' was recorded during Jimi's stay in Hawaii at that time(Aug 1970)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by globalglen View Post
    The second thing that occurs to me though is that whoever was responsible for the edit on this video needs to go back to school and/or is not a JH fan. There is some GREAT Jimi footage (previously seen in Rainbow Bridge) missing from VC, explicitly at the 2:20 to 2:45 mark when he absolutely kills it on the guitar...why on gods earth would you want to lose such amazing footage and use worthless crowd shots??!! If the footage was not usable then fair enough, but i'm not convinced that was the case, looks like a poor editing job to me.
    I don't know for certain but I think you'll find that the DVD will not have all the crowd shots like the YouTube promo clip does. They did the same thing with Foxy Lady from Miami, the promo clip on YouTube has heaps more crowd shots then the DVD version. Makes sense I guess if it's just out there for advertising purposes?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mickliz1971 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,495 Times in 2,369 Posts

When he found out the film was floundering, Jeffery brought in The Jimi Hendrix Experience to perform a concert to be included in the film on the side of the Haleakala volcano. Although Hendrix performed two full, fifty-minute sets for the taping, technical issues led to only 17 minutes of film being deemed usable for Rainbow Bridge. Even in those 17 usable minutes, the drum track was not properly recorded, so drummer Mitch Mitchell later overdubbed his parts at Electric Lady Studios in New York.

(technical issues led to only 17 minutes of film being deemed usable for Rainbow Bridge)

Jimi Hendrix In Maui incorporates never-before-released original 16mm film footage

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhendrixfanatic View Post
    Dave H, the problem was the wind. So, yes.improperly mic'd for wind, albeit harder to do back then! - and I'm glad you liked those fan photos w/Jimi btw !!
    Ok thanks for the info. And no worries I was going through tons of pics here and the pics of the interactions with his fans are interesting. You wonder what they are doing now and what their memories are of that. Jimi seemed friendly doing that stuff.

Thanks

Does anybody know if Voodoo Child and the trailer are up on any other platforms? The youtube vids are blocked in my country.... Super curious about this release!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mickliz1971 View Post
    I don't know for certain but I think you'll find that the DVD will not have all the crowd shots like the YouTube promo clip does. They did the same thing with Foxy Lady from Miami, the promo clip on YouTube has heaps more crowd shots then the DVD version. Makes sense I guess if it's just out there for advertising purposes?
    Ah that makes sense actually, I must admit I thought the amount of crowd shots in the clip was high, that would seem to explain it, hopefully it's as you think, fingers very much crossed!

Thanks

Maui Wowie !

Thanks

This is the best news I've heard all year. I have a boot of the entire show and to my ears it sounds like mitch did re-record his drums for every song. I guess we'll all have to wait and see just how much footage they have of the 2 concerts. I personally dont need to hear or see another foxy lady, but the newer songs Jimi was working on would be groovy to see. I have always really liked looking at the crowd in this obviously well lit day time concert. Oh to go back in a time machine and hang out with all those hippies and watch Jimi! I guess I will have to bite the bullet and finally buy a blu-ray player. I just dont have much cash to spend, and have an older 5.1 receiver, so it seems confusing on what blu ray-players out there will hook up to an older style receiver and play back in 5.1 that are not going to break the bank.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maxine1967 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I just noticed on the short trailer at 1:04 minutes it shows not one but 2! 35mm cameras shooting the concert-very rare for concerts from that era. I thought that some of the scenes in the Voodoo Child trailer looked like 35mm-very crisp with no grain. Although the shot of jimi on his nees from above him looked extremely grainy, especially as they were shooting in full daylight-obviously 16mm. Too bad they didn't at least digitally take out some of the contrast. I'm salivating already in anticipation on seeing the new footage!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to maxine1967 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I haven't been this excited for a release in a very long time, EH is the worst but this has potential to be very wonderful in more ways than one... Shows had a lot of energy, don't know why they switched up the setlist of the first show, but that's EH for you... It will be nice to get a proper release of these monumental shows, I'm glad to see the excitement being spread around here! :-)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mvmellon02 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxine1967 View Post
    I just noticed on the short trailer at 1:04 minutes it shows not one but 2! 35mm cameras shooting the concert-very rare for concerts from that era. I thought that some of the scenes in the Voodoo Child trailer looked like 35mm-very crisp with no grain. Although the shot of jimi on his nees from above him looked extremely grainy, especially as they were shooting in full daylight-obviously 16mm. Too bad they didn't at least digitally take out some of the contrast. I'm salivating already in anticipation on seeing the new footage!
    I noticed the two 35mm cameras too and though the same that the footage from those cameras is exceptionally clear and fine. Seeing as the whole movie was shot in 35mm is makes sense they used 35mm for the concert too. Weird thing is that EH say all existing 16mm footage is presented. Odd mistake to make I think. The handheld camera that was used on stage for those close up shots was 16mm - 35mm camera would be too big to lug around. So it makes three camera operating, but I've heard it mentioned that 4 cameras were present.

The colour issues are in the 16mm footage. I noticed in VCSR the on stage footage edit is exactly the same as in the original movie which makes be wonder of EH had access to the raw footage or just print of that original edit. That might explain the colour issues too. Whereas the 35mm footage looks like a fresh new scan off the original raw film.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pukaha For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pukaha View Post
    I noticed the two 35mm cameras too and though the same that the footage from those cameras is exceptionally clear and fine. Seeing as the whole movie was shot in 35mm is makes sense they used 35mm for the concert too. Weird thing is that EH say all existing 16mm footage is presented. Odd mistake to make I think. The handheld camera that was used on stage for those close up shots was 16mm - 35mm camera would be too big to lug around. So it makes three camera operating, but I've heard it mentioned that 4 cameras were present.

The colour issues are in the 16mm footage. I noticed in VCSR the on stage footage edit is exactly the same as in the original movie which makes be wonder of EH had access to the raw footage or just print of that original edit. That might explain the colour issues too. Whereas the 35mm footage looks like a fresh new scan off the original raw film.
    Yes usually hand held cameras were/are 16mm, but according to Todd Douglas Miller the director of Apollo 11; the camera man who shot some of the apollo footage was a big guy and he actually hand held a 70mm film cameras for some shots! Lets hope that the songs are full length, not like the butchered versions we have from Berkley. Just saw it tonight, and although some of the songs are very cut short; some of the shots are great like in VCSR when Jimi is on his nees and you can see the girl in the first row practically have an orgasm-some of my favourite Jimi footage-worth the price of admission!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxine1967 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Iím so excited that the Maui shows are finally getting a proper release. I remember buying the Vhs tape of rainbow bridge and fast forwarding it just to watch jimiís performance. I think that foxy lady from the first show is mind blowing with jimi pulling out all the stops and playing with his teeth. That part on vcsr where he manipulates the uni-vibeís speed is hilarious. It sounds like a scatterbrained spaceship. And of course the ending to purple haze is one of my favorites. Hendrix playing with his teeth as usual, quoting the first part of ssb. Canít wait to watch the blu ray and see what extras are included. Definitely buying this for Christmas!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to voodoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

https://www.cda.pl/video/499665ef

enjoy this until its released! totally amazing. 1:03:00 villanova junction jam

24. The Following User Says Thank You to purplehazechild For This Useful Post: