Thread: Mitch's kit

Thanks

Mitch's kit

When did Mitch switch to a double bass drum? I remember reading, maybe in his book, that once Ginger Baker came on the scene, everyone had to do it, but in some of these shots from as late as Dec. '68, he still plays a single bass drum set up. RAH he had a double kit. He played different size kits on different tours, or what? What was his first show with a double kit?

Thanks

Re: Mitch's kit

I just tried to put my hands on my copy of Mitch's coffee table book "Jimi Hendrix: Inside The Experience" and couldn't find it...if you find a copy he does have an anecdote about the first gig he ever tried to play double-bass drum on. As I recall he simply added the extra kick to his set and was excited to show it off to Jimi and Noel but was disappointed when the gig was cancelled. As he mentions the specific gig you should be able to find the date based on his reference. I don't recall him saying he'd practiced with it; seemed more like he just added it on to see what it would be like!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skizzle View Post
    I just tried to put my hands on my copy of Mitch's coffee table book "Jimi Hendrix: Inside The Experience" and couldn't find it...if you find a copy he does have an anecdote about the first gig he ever tried to play double-bass drum on. As I recall he simply added the extra kick to his set and was excited to show it off to Jimi and Noel but was disappointed when the gig was cancelled. As he mentions the specific gig you should be able to find the date based on his reference. I don't recall him saying he'd practiced with it; seemed more like he just added it on to see what it would be like!
    I'd be very interested where this anecdote can be found in Mitch's book... Do you know the page number?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jhendrixfanatic View Post
    What was his first show with a double kit?
    Who knows, was it photographed? He was photographed using a double mixed kit at Big Apple in '66 and filmed, again using a mixed double, for TV show in Hamburg 1967
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skizzle View Post
    Got it. In the book (p. 101), Mitch talks about getting a new bass drum from the Ludwig Factory at the Xavier University in Chicago.
    There are a few problems with this theory:
    Mitch does not talk about a double-bass drum, it might be a replacement
    Xavier University is in Cincinnati, not in Chicago.
    There are two shows on March 28 1968 (no cancellation).
    Mitch starts playing double bass drum on a regular basis in January 1969 .

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sequelenoise For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sequelenoise View Post
    Got it. In the book (p. 101), Mitch talks about getting a new bass drum from the Ludwig Factory at the Xavier University in Chicago.
    There are a few problems with this theory:
    Mitch does not talk about a double-bass drum, it might be a replacement
    Xavier University is in Cincinnati, not in Chicago.
    There are two shows on March 28 1968 (no cancellation).
    Mitch starts playing double bass drum on a regular basis in January 1969 .
    hmmm..okay then my memory was off. It could be he was talking replacement, not doubling up as you say.

Thanks

[QUOTE=stplsd;123230and filmed, again using a mixed double, for TV show in Hamburg 1967[/QUOTE]

Mistake for photos of Neu Welt 1967 - 2 shows.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Mistake for photos of Neu Welt 1967 - 2 shows.
    At the Neue Welt Mitch was playing the drums of the support group The Beatcats. Or maybe the Beatcats were the headliners, while the Experince were booked as support?
    Last edited by kees1954; 09-03-17 at 09:11 AM.

Thanks

Excuse me, the answer to my question in my previous post is here:
    Attachment 28467
    3148.jpg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kees1954 View Post
    At the Neue Welt Mitch was playing the drums of the support group The Beatcats.
    Yes. I know, it would be hard not to notice I'm sure he was using their kick drum & tom tom added to his kit (doubling it up), ie "mixed", as he likely did at the Big Apple in '66.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have a dear friend who plays drums, who says Mitch's playing skills detoriated after starting playing the double bass drum in 1969. Any opinions from experts?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,148 Times in 657 Posts

I think there is another reason, drugs related

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I noticed he would switch back and forth in '70 between single and double kick. I just don't think he ever got the hang of double kick. It was a big fad, thanks to Ginger Baker

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainflower For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rainflower View Post
    It was a big fad, thanks to Ginger Baker
    Are you sure you don't mean Keith Moon

Thanks

It was Ginger Baker that popularized the set up, if memory serves me correctly. (which it never does!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kees1954 View Post
    I have a dear friend who plays drums, who says Mitch's playing skills detoriated after starting playing the double bass drum in 1969. Any opinions from experts?
    I don't agree...he's sounds like a MACHINE during the intro of "Ezy Ryder" at Madison 5/2/70 (listen to Funky's Drummer's fabulous merge)....I was always intrigued by his double bass drum in Philly 4/12/69 which read "Mitch" on one and "Mitchell" on the other. Did he ever use those again?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhendrixfanatic View Post
    It was Ginger Baker that popularized the set up, if memory serves me correctly. (which it never does!)
    I'll grant Baker maybe had the edge on that one, but I'm doing some digging

Thanks

So, he didn't use a double floor tom all the time because at one point one of them was stolen

From Mitch Mitchell drum kit auction:

"Mitchell's estate, this kit was purchased while Mitchell was in the US for the Monterey Pop Festival. Mitchell had hoped to purchase a drum kit while in the US and knew what he wanted: an American vintage kit. In a secondhand music shop, he found this Ludwig Silver Sparkle kit. The estate described it as Mitchell's first "I'm in love with it" kit. He knew that the kit had an unusual finish for Ludwig, so he invested in the kit and in its return cost to London. The kit was not large; Mitchell preferred to have a kit with a great sound and not many pieces. Mitchell used the kit to perform on tour with Hendrix until 1969. Originally, the kit included two floor toms. While performing in Germany, a roadie was putting the bandís gear into a van, and as he turned his back, one of the floor toms was stolen. From that point on, Mitchell kept his drums in the studio and used borrowed drums on stage."

https://www.julienslive.com/m/lot-de...%2F%3Fpage%3D2

auction thread post #869 by Robbie Radio

http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...694#post123694