Thread: Hendrix Interview - "Poetic Or Just Strung Out" 1970

Thanks
    Thanked 3,754 Times in 1,001 Posts

Hendrix Interview - "Poetic Or Just Strung Out" 1970

THE PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS MAY 21, 1970

JIMI HENDRIX: POETIC OR JUST STRUNG OUT?

BY MERIDEE MERZER

Jimi Hendrix is a genuine, Grade A superstar, yet he's surprisingly mild and gentlemanly offstage. Talking to him at an outdoor concert in Temple University Stadium May 16, it wasn't clear whether he was poetic or just strung out because so many of the beautiful things he said had absolutely no relationship to anything he was asked.

Musicians, groupies and hangers-on poured into his dressing room, eager to shake his hand, get a word from The Idol. He played his black Gibson Custom guitar while he chatted, striking chords to make emphatic points.

Jimi has reformed the Experience after the disastrous Band of Gypsies experiment. Mitch Mitchell is again drumming for the group. while Noel Redding has been replaced by Billy Cox on bass.

"We had eight days rehearsal before we started the tour, this is about the ninth gig," Jimi commented.

He felt the new Experience was better than the earlier group.

"It's more real. Whatever goes down is just clearer. There's more energy being used towards a positive thing from all the people."

Actually, the Experience sounded pretty much as in psychedelic days of yore, except Cox isn't as good as Redding. Jimi himself was overblown in his stage manner. He used fewer fancy electronic effects to make his music.

Jimi has a spiritual attitude toward his music.

"It's just like water and air, you can't live without them. It's like a marriage type of thing. From marriage comes melody. You put a rhythm and a melody together and then you have a song. You put a violin and a drum together and you have a band."

He was deeply concerned with environmental and social problems.

"You heard of the asteroid belts?" he asked. "Use that for an example of what happens when a planet goes completely haywire and doesn't pay attention to its natural, spiritual warnings. "You see how much trouble is breaking out in the world? It's just like going through labor pains. What's happening now is like a marriage between space and earth. It will be saved though," Jimi philosophized.

The guitar virtuoso felt music was going to have a lot to do with preparing people for drastic future social changes.

"We've got to be ready for it. That's what we've got music for. That's why we have the arts, because you can see education is just the old things, right? We just have a lot of work to do. "I do as many different things as I can. From a toenail to a strand of hair anything I can give to this cause, to this wave of change."

Revolution is an on-going pattern in America. he thought, dashing off a few tasty runs.

"It started in 1776. This is the end of it all, but it's going to take some time. The deeper you get into something, the harder it is to come out."

Last year, Jimi spoke of forming an Electric Church, though he doesn't believe in organized religion.

"They're giving the wrong interpretation of what's really happening here," he stated, fingering the picture of Lenny Bruce on his Gibson. "But they have so much power that it's going to be a heavy, heavy gig to convince them that all they're doing is wasting time and that signals from other planets are even coming down to try and straighten us out. "Well, you can't have people thinking that they're the only ones in the solar system. Because the representation of earth and fire and air shows you what all these different, opposite things can work together."

What did he think of his new album, "Band of Gypsys" (Capitol) skyrocketing up the charts when it was obviously a second rate effort?

"Let me tell you the honest-to-God truth," he murmured. "It's like a piece of a diary to me. As far as music and all that, I was kind of out of tune. "I appreciate that people are buying it, but I still consider most of our songs not even completed. I like making records as long as I've got something worth saying. I hate to do it because the company says you have to get a record out. That's really why we recorded that thing. People consume things too quickly nowadays. They don't digest it.

About his songs and what they mean to audiences, Jimi picked a mean riff and noted,

"You just hope they pick up on the good vibes. That's what it's all about anyway. It's like a bunch of crumbs. You want to get into the bread of the thing. You don't want them to just nibble on the edge. "All I can play is news, just exactly what I'm feeling at the particular time. My songs relate to what I see. There's lots of people who've gone through the same things, but I'm just using different terms and language to say it."

As I left, Jimi said urgently. "Just remember, everything is a marriage, and Earth is just going through Labor pains."
    Last edited by RobbieRadio; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:31 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Hendrix Interview - "Poetic Or Just Strung Out" 1970

I Googled the critic, Meridee Merzer. His main claim to fame is that he wrote a diet book in the 80's. I found his address and phone number online too, but didn't see any point in contacting a forgotten 70 year old to complain about his opinions of The Band of Gypsys! Anyway, I found it interesting that Google had already indexed this Crosstown Torrents thread!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Re: Hendrix Interview - "Poetic Or Just Strung Out" 1970

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    but didn't see any point in contacting a forgotten 70 year old to complain about his opinions of The Band of Gypsys!

Jimi: "As far as [the] music and all that, I was kind of out of tune. "I appreciate that people are buying it, but I still consider most of our songs [on it] not even completed. I like making records as long as I've got something worth saying. I hate to do it because the company says you have to get a record out. That's really why we recorded that thing."
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: