Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: 1962-01-XX Fort Campbell, Service clubs #1 & #2, KY

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Thanked 5,617 Times in 2,464 Posts

    1962-01-XX Fort Campbell, Service clubs #1 & #2, KY


    The US Congress passes new drug safety regulations and the FDA designates LSD an experimental drug and restricts, but does not prohibit, research. The first LSD related arrests are made by the FDA
    Tim Leary & Richard Albert (later known as ‘Baba Ram Dass’) found the International Foundation for Internal Freedom – “If If”. Later ‘revolutionary’ fantasy film starring Michael McDowell was titled “If”.
    Robert Hunter (Grateful Dead lyricist) at Stanford University took part as a paid guinea pig to take mind altering drugs for the psychiatric dept. Results were provided to the CIA clandestinely, and were used in their secret MK-Ultra project. In almost identical circumstances as Ginsberg (1959) and Kesey had ( 1960/61). It was the first time he had taken LSD.
    17 January 1962, Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA, Jimi writes to his father: “please try and send my guitar as soon as you can.”

    January 1962
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA

    Hendrix forms the group The Kasuals with Billy Cox (bass) and Gary Ferguson (drums). They play Service Clubs No. 1 and 2 at Fort Campbell Military Reservation.

    Billy Cox:
    “I was coming from a theatre [a John Wayne movie was showing], and it was raining. We all ran and wound up on the doorstep of Service Club No.1, waiting for it to stop raining. I heard this guy playing guitar with a sound I had never heard before, somewhere between Beethoven and John Lee Hooker. I went in and introduced myself, told him I played bass. I checked out a bass, and started jamming… three weeks later we were playing service clubs.”
    “One rainy night, me and a friend, after seeing a John Wayne movie, waited for the downpour to stop. Through an open window of Service Club 1, I heard a solo guitar played in a wildly unique manner. It was as if Beethoven and John Lee Hooker had merged.
    "It was something the human ear hadn't heard. I said, "That's incredible!” And the guy I was with said, 'Sounds like shit to me.' I went in and introduced myself to him and said I played a little upright bass, and I checked out the Danelectro he was playing.
    I was one year older than Jimi, was educated in Pittsburgh, and my mother was a classically trained pianist. At an early age, I decided to pursue a musical career. I attempted the violin, piano, and various horns, but became fixated with the electric bass sound I heard in Lloyd Price's R&B band. I had Jimi's rebellious streak. I was kicked out of a symphony for the unorthodox way I played the bass. "They wanted me to play with a bow."
    [2009 radio interview.]
    “We were both stationed at Fort Campbell and I was walking past one of the service clubs one day and I heard someone playing some incredible guitar inside. When I went in to check it out, it turned out to be Jimmy.
    […] I introduced myself and told him I was a bass player. So then I checked a bass out from the service club-they had almost every kind of instrument you could imagine. We had a really nice jam and after we finished we decided to put a group together from the service men stationed with us. We used a drummer named Gary Ferguson and worked Service clubs 1 and 2 at Fort Campbell. Then some guys from Clarksville, Tennessee, came on post and heard our playing and wanted us to play in town, so we added a saxophonist, Major Washington.”
    After a few rehearsals we started playing at the service clubs and different places. We got to be pretty good.”
    “[I enlisted in the army to avoid complications.] At that time, they would draft you. It was incarceration. If they did that, they could send you wherever they wanted. And I have claustrophobia. I went in and got it over with.
    We were gigging on base at all the functions. We practiced all day, every day. We would play all over Clarksville, Tennessee: the Elks Club, the D.A.V. [Disabled American Veterans] hall, until we got a regular job at the Pink Poodle. . . We did steps and everything. We had a lot of energy."

    “Back then Jimi had a Silvertone that was painted red. He had painted the name ‘Betty Jean’ on it. That was his childhood sweetheart. He used that guitar up to a year after we got out of the service....That Silvertone wound up in a music store in Clarksville, Tennessee”

    “We were gigging on base at all the functions. We practiced all day, every day. We would play all over Clarksville, Tennessee: the Elks Club, the D.A.V. [Disabled American Veterans] hall, until we got a regular job at the Pink Poodle. . . We did steps and everything. We had a lot of energy."

    “Me and him were together in Clarksville with some other guys (the Kasuals).”

    “[I saw past Jimi's casual and introverted demeanor and recognized his serious commitment to music. I terminated my jump status so that we could dedicate even more time to practicing. We also worked out a scheme to avoid work detail and get in more practice time. After reveille, Jimi would "ghost" out of his company area and work out tunes with me until just before 3:00 p.m., when we would sneak back into our respective companies before the director from the USO could catch us. The routine worked until the army got suspicious.]”

    “Jimi Hendrix and I were musical confidants when he began his musical career,”

    Early 1962, Alexis Korner and Cyril Davies founded Blues Incorporated
    Early 1962, Roger Bluck, who worked at EMI as a record cover designer, got the opportunity to do some session work backing a pianist on an instrumental single and called the other (Frankie Reid’s) Casuals to see if they could participate. Unfortunately, only Donald could make it and subsequently the session was cancelled.
    A few months later both Donald and Bluck departed. While Donald would join Brian Connell & The Countdowns for about six months in 1963, Bluck would go on to become a member of David Bowie’s early group Davie Jones & The King Bees in November 1963. From there, he went on to play with The Spectrum from 1964-1968. Ian Holland came in on lead guitar and the band continued as a four-piece.
    Thursday 11 January 1962
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA
    Hendrix completed parachute training and was now entitled to wear the coveted “parachute wings”. The patch of the 101st Airborne is just a regimental badge (false flag!). If you are in the regiment that’s the badge you can wear, you may be just a secretary! A parachutist only becomes recognized as such, in any regiment, when he becomes entitled to wear the “wings” badge, as Jimi was.
    Thursday 11 January 1962
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA
    As he had dropped out of high school, Hendrix takes part one of the GED (General Educational Development) tests (from a document posted at ‘CTT’).
    Friday 12 January 1962
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA
    Hendrix takes the second part of his GED tests (from a document posted at ‘CTT’).
    Monday 13 January 1962
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA
    Hendrix takes the third part of his GED tests (from a document posted at ‘CTT’).
    Tuesday 16 January 1962
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA
    Hendrix takes part four of his GED tests (from a document posted at ‘CTT’).
    Time magazine reviews the recently released Ken Kesey novel ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’
    Wednesday 17 January 1962
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA
    “[Please send me my guitar] I really need it now – it’s still over at Betty’s house.”
    [letter to Al Hendrix]
    Monday 22 January 1962
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA
    Hendrix takes the last part of the GED tests (from a document posted at ‘CTT’).
    Tuesday 30 January 1962
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA
    Hendrix is promoted to private first class (from a document posted at ‘CTT’).
    FEBRUARY 1962
    Wednesday 7 February 1962
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA
    Hendrix makes another parachute jump (from a document posted at ‘CTT’).
    Thursday 8 February 1962
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA
    Hendrix writes home to his father about his recent promotion and his receipt of a “Screaming Eagles” patch.
    Friday 16 February 1962
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA
    Captain Gilbert H. Batchman orders physical and psychiatric exami*nations for Hendrix because "the individual is unable to conform to military rules and regulations. Misses bed check; sleeps while sup*posed to be working; unsatisfactory duty performances." Hendrix doesn’t attempt a defence against the charges. [From a document posted at ‘CTT’.]
    “The training was really tough. It was the worst thing I have ever been through. They were always trying to see how much you could take.
    "There was one thing we used to call the ' hanging agony.' You would be left hanging in a harness on a rope, with your feet just a few inches from the ground.
    “You'd be like that for an hour some days, and if the harness was slightly in the wrong position it was hell. And they only gave you about three seconds to put the harness on.
    "At other times you would have to do exercises in wet sawdust at temperatures six degrees
    below zero. The whole idea was to see how much you could take..”
    [UK girl’s mag - Jackie 25/11/67]
    “Army people tell you what to do all the time…the army’s really a bad scene. They wouldn’t let me have anything to do with music. They tell you what you are interested in, and you don’t have any choice. The army is more for people who like to be told what to do.”
    [UK’s Music Maker ---/02/68]
    Fred Rollins:
    “[I had gone into the ‘Screaming Eagles’ before Jimmy, and although he was on a different part of the base, I kept abreast of what was happening with him]
    The men in Jimmy’s barracks began to complain that they could not sleep at night for Jimmy’s playing. They took to hiding his guitar and making him get down on his knees and beg for it back. He would always say he was sorry, but that would not prevent him from doing it again. One day several of the men ‘jacked him up’[?]and beat him up. Jimmy protected his guitar more than himself. But unfortunately for his attackers Jimmy’s boyhood friend from Seattle was Raymond Ross the 101st Airbourne’s heavyweight boxing champion. He came into Jimmy’s barracks soon after the incident, ‘I hear y’all messing with my home boy,’ he said. Ross then went down the aisle beating up everyone involved and some who were not.
    I had not known Jimmy’s girlfriend [Betty Morgan. Ed.] in Seattle, but he gave me the impression that they were seriously involved. I assumed that Jimmy had received a ‘Dear John’ letter when word got back to me that Jimmy was flipping out. That was the only reason I could think of for Jimmy sleeping with his guitar,[As Jimmy usually did according to his friends. Ed.] talking to it, playing such weird sounds with it. Even when Jimmy went to mess he strummed the air and made noises as if his guitar was there with him. [As Jimmy had done even before he had a guitar according to family and friends. Ed.]
    February 1962
    Curtis Knight releases "You're Gonna Be Sorry b/w Little Doe-Doe" (Shell 45-310)
    24 February Billboard reviews: "You're Gonna Be Sorry” [b/w Little Doe-Doe] by Curtis Knight. "Fervid chanting by Curtis Knight and femme group on feelingful gospel-flavored theme with fast-moving tempo"
    MARCH 1962
    [Spring] 1962
    Folkestone, England
    Noel Redding quits art school to concentrate on playing with The Lonely Ones, as they are playing frequent dates around his home town.
    Thursday 19 March 1962
    Bob Dylan’s first LP is released by Columbia, it only has two songs by Dylan, it flops.
    It contains Dave Van Ronk’s arrangement (wrongly credited to Dylan) of ‘House Of The Rising Sun’, which was later released by The Animals in 1964 and becomes a major hit (arrangement credited to band leader Alan Price [The Alan Price Combo - until Jeffery changed their name] which caused bitter resentment amongst the other members when they, later, realised it was making him a lot more money from it than them, they notably didn’t complain about the other trad. song whose arrangement was also credited to him (his band, band leader) at this time. It also has Erich Von Schmidt’s musical arrangement of Baby Let Me Follow You Down’ which was recorded as ‘Baby Let Me Take You Home’ by The Animals, with lyric variation influenced by Hoagy Lands 1964 recording of Bert Russell & Wes Farrell’s adaption of this traditional song’s lyrics titled, ‘Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand’ which producer Mickie Most played to them.
    Thursday 22 March 1962
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA
    Hendrix makes another parachute jump (from a document posted at ‘CTT’).
    Saturday 31 March 1962
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, USA
    Hendrix fails to report for bed check and is reduced to general private status. The report says his reason stated was: "Delay due to payday activities and weekend." From a document posted at ‘CTT’).
    Frankie Reid & The Casuals #4 (spring 1962)
    Frankie Reid – vocals
    Ian Holland – lead guitar
    Danny McCulloch – bass
    Mitch Mitchell – drums
    This new line up played gigs around London at:
    St Mary’s Hall, Putney
    The Ealing Club
    Acton Town Hall
    Ealing Town Hall
    Wembley Town Hall
    The White Hart in Southall, Middlesex
    Southall Community Centre.
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-12-18 at 10:12 PM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBitty (VBTT) 4 for XBT v1.1 CUSTOM by Toolmanwill