Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are You Experienced & Axis: Bold As Love Mono/Stereo by Bernie Grundman on SACD!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 469 Posts

Re: Are You Experienced & Axis: Bold As Love Mono/Stereo by Bernie Grundman on SACD!

At the rate these are moving the ELL 50th Anniversaary set will be available first. Perhaps at least the Axis SACD will beat the ELL set but surely not the Axis vinyl nor the AYE SACD. And these were odered a year ago!!!

Thanks

Re: Are You Experienced & Axis: Bold As Love Mono/Stereo by Bernie Grundman on SACD!

Really excited for the Axis SACD. "Are You Experienced?" is slated for Winter 2018/19 now. That could possibly mean an out of order release cycle starting with the Axis SACD in September 2018, Electric Ladyland 50th Edition - Fall 2018, then AYE? SACD in early 2019.

Thanks

Sonic Euphoria!!!

I finally relented and opened my Axis SACD from Acoustic Sounds, although I wasn't happy with them, since I called to cancel my order 4 months ago and they did not do as instructed.
    So I was 'forced' to pay full price including shipping (because it was in a bulk order of $300 that is mostly back ordered, it doesn't qualify for free shipping from them...)
    Not to complain, paying full price is usually not a problem, but financially, the lower prices elsewhere were much more attractive, because my checking account was hacked and emptied in September, so I was unable to place an order elsewhere (oh well).

The Stereo Mix:

The first thing I noticed was the the increased perception of detail, no doubt a benefit from working with the master tapes, the full bodied sound of the low end and the smooth mid-range.
    It sounds like there is a gentle slope in the 3k range, where you can turn it up as loud as you want and it won't puncture your ears. Very well done.
    The only place I had a problem with was the Hi-Hats on "Little Miss Lover", the "Shhhhtttt" sounded a little exaggerated from the mid range EQ.

The black sheep of the album - "If 6 Was 9" (because it was sourced from Noel Redding's personal copy, when Jimi lost the original mix) has a slightly harsher sound, no doubt to make up for the generation loss.
    But yet, I listened to it full blast in my car, and was amazed how the wild flute at the end was smooth and not obnoxious due to EQ as it is on other releases.

Next, I compared the EQ Sound Model to a Reel to Reel Copy, the 2010 Sony Re-issue, the 2014 Sony Vinyl edition, and the Japanese-Polydor P20P 22002 aka "The Alan Douglas Safety Mix"

The following results are based off the Stereo mix of Little Wing:

1st Place: SACD, as described above. Some people have perceived this mastering to be "loud". I can happily say all sound forms for the 13 tracks do not exceed -8dB. From that perspective, it is clearly the quietist.
    However, the mid-range, as smooth as it, can be perceived as loud on certain tracks (If 6 was 9).

2nd place: For mid-high end clarity, the Axis 7 1/2 I.P.S. Reel to Reel from 1967 took first place. However, the sound is more raw, if not harsh at times, because the mid-range is brighter and more upfront.
    The glockenspiel has more ring, the bells have a rounder sound, and Jimi's vocals have more "ess-ing" or sibilance, which can be painful at higher volumes.

3rd Place: Surprisingly for me, the 2014 Vinyl had a wider sound wave spectrum than any other release, including the 2018 SACD.
    It has a "smiley face EQ" appearance, with a boost in the Sub-woofer range 60Hz and below, and the best high frequency range at 10kHz - 20kHz (my favorite area to judge quality).
    All of the releases thus far have a roll off after 13kHz, maybe due to the recording limitations or the equipment used in 1967, my Vinyl copy had a much higher dB range here.
    Unfortunately, the boost in the Sub frequencies makes the recording very bass heavy, and the excellent high range cannot be heard as well.

4th Place: The 2010 Sony re-issue. The mastering, like the 2014 vinyl, is bass heavy, but the high frequencies I praised above, are rolled off.
    This is most likely due to A. The Analog Mastering, or B. The recording chain (Cartridge, Tubes, Phono amp, ect.)
    The classic 0dB Mastering is also present on this release, so it is the loudest thus far.

"Alternate" Place: Japanese-Polydor P20P 22002 aka "The Alan Douglas Safety Mix"
    In all fairness, this alternate mix/mastering cannot be compared to the Sony EH Mixes because it is so different. But for the sake of reviewing -
    The Vocals are mixed very upfront on this release, it almost sounds like a brilliant poetry recital. No doubt due to the vocal boost, the 400k - 800k region is much higher here than any other release reviewed here.
    The high end is also very strong here, passing the SACD up in dB in the High Frequencies until 14,486kHz, where it rolls off. There is a very small amount of hiss on this mix, which can also account for some of this high end.

Note: I will come back and edit this post to add screenshots of the sound wave spectrum soon.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Voodoo Kush For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Great review and overview (much better than I'll be able to give). I got mine late late last Friday but (gasp) I've been unable to listen to it. It's ripping to my hard drive as I type. I pre-ordered this thing back in February, but I'm thinking the long wait will be worth it (I was able to get it for $27.98 with free shipping, which is the best price I've seen so far). Happy listening everyone. It's hard to believe we've had mass marketed digital media since 1982/3 and it's taken this long to get a great version of this classic!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,017 Posts

Not been able to order a copy due to the fact it runs so expensive for purchace outside of the US.

The lowest price I found after a few days searching was $60.50 all in to the UK.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Import CDs sent me my copy in the UK - it should have been about $36 but actually ended up about 24 on card statement - give them a try: https://www.importcds.com/axis-bold-...e/190758197920

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mindoctopus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Received my Stereo and Mono LP's today, in mint condition. I have a Grover Huffman "Pharaoh" cable being made for my tonearm, so I won't be spinning them until that's complete. First critical comment, why create extraordinary hype and cost over these limited edition LP's, and only press them at 33 RPM? Where's the "audio pile" 45 RPM "definitive" editions? dang!
    Five, Six, Seven.... lost count!