Thread: 1965-10-XX [late] Lodi, Joey Dee's house, New Jersey.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,092 Posts

1965-10-XX [late] Lodi, Joey Dee's house, New Jersey.

Last edited by stplsd; 1 Week Ago at 02:41 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: 1965-10-XX [late] Lodi, Joey Dee's house, New Jersey.

So what's your source for their being a home recording with Joey Dee? I know Joey has said that they recorded a promo at a Troy, New York radio station.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: 1965-09-10 [?] Lodi, Joey Dee's house, New Jersey. Audition

Friday 10 September 1965
    The Alvin Hotel?/Smalls Paradise?/Starliter club?, NYC

After Joey Dee's guitar player, Sam Taylor, left for California they needed a replacement.
    According to Jimmy Mayes it was about this date Johnny 'Starr' (he went by this name after Ringo) introduced him to 'Maurice James', they were sharing a room. James had a Fender Jazzmaster but no amp, but he showed him enough to get him an audition with Dee the next day.
    Jimmy Mayes: “Well, it all started in ‘65/’66 I was a member of Joey Dee and the Starlighters. We needed a guitar player because our guy split and Joey made it my responsibility to get a guitar player. So, as I walked around New York City, up and down Broadway, ‘cause that was all you had to do, I ran into this young guy and I said, ‘Hey, Johnny? We need a guitar player.’ He said, ‘What, man, Joey Dee need a guitar player?’ I said, ‘Yeah.’ So, he said, ‘Well, we got this guy that is on tour with the Isley Brothers and he’s not happy.’ So I went to this hotel called the Alvin Hotel and we knocked on the door David, Johnny an’-an’ Jimmy was room mates, but his name wasn’t Jimmy at the time, he called hisself Maurice James. So, we got in, an’ he, he woke up, he was asleep, and I distinctly remember two things, his guitar and his boots, which was slightly overworn because he was ‘carryin’ a stick’ at the time, and ‘carryin’ a stick’ people mean ‘you a little broke’ [laughs]. So-ah, ah he woke up an’ we talked for a while an’ I said, ‘Look, man, play a little bit just for me; just play somethin’ on the guitar,’ because the amp wasn’t plugged up. Then he strummed a few songs, I called Joey, an’ I told him, I said, ‘I think we got [what] we need.’ So he, Joey Dee set it up for-uh, his, his-ah nephew, Johnny, to come an’ pick us up a couple o’ days later. According to guitarist Sam Taylor he recommended Hendrix as his replacement before he left. Sam Taylor: “Shortly after returnin’ to New York Benny came by with a letter from the Beach Boys sayin’ that they wanted to sign us to a writing and recording [contract]. We patched up our differences, once again, and decided to head for L.A.. I told Joey I had to leave the group, but had found someone I thought would be a good replacement; I introduced him to a young fello’ out of Seattle named Jimmy Hendrix, although he was called Jimmy James at that time. He later became one of the founders and stars of rock ‘n’ roll; Jimmy took my place and I took off for California.”
    Joey Dee: “I often went to other nightclubs like “Small's Paradise” in Harlem to hear great musicians. When I entered the club, I was getting some trouble being the only white person – a few guys were trying to get in my pocket but I was rescued by patrons who had read JET Magazine’s article on my interracial band (photographed dancing with Eartha Kitt: “…..Joey Dee shows agility which helped him popularize the Twist at New York City’s Peppermint Lounge. Dee recently refused $15,000 per week fee rather than leave three Negro members of his Starliters troupe behind on a tour of the South.” (JET June 21, 1962).
    I was at Small’s Paradise to hear a relatively unknown guitarist named Jimi Hendrix [on the recommendation of ST? or JD? Ed.] - who had been on the road with Little Richard and The Isley Brothers. He had been fired probably because he took away too much attention (in my band, if you had talent, I put you under the spotlight). After the first five minutes, I knew Jimi was the guy - so I hired him for an upstate New York tour.”
    Lodi, Joey Dee's house, New Jersey, USA
    Next day?/two days? Hendrix joins Joey Dee and the Starliters. The band now had: Joey Dee, Dave Brigati & Tommy Davis on vox, Hendrix on guitar, Calvin Duke on organ, Jimmy Mayes on drums. They rehearsed for "about a week" before their first gigs with 'Maurice', in Syracuse.
    They played mainly around, New York State: Syracuse, Buffalo, NYC, and New Jersey, with a few gigs in Connecticut, Ohio and Wisconsin.
    Jimmy Mayes: An’ we went to Lodi, New Jersey and Joey had Jimmy plugged in an’ everything an’, ah, he listened to him play and his Curtis Mayfield licks really impressed Joey, an’ he said, ‘Yeah, this is our guy.’ ...An’ we both take it mind for Jimmy James Hendrix as a guitar player, well, ‘Maurice James’.”n>
    Last edited by stplsd; 6 Days Ago at 02:33 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: