Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

Thanks
    Thanked 1,207 Times in 279 Posts

New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in MarchMESFIN FEKADU, AP MUSIC WRITERDecember 6, 2017 Updated: December 6, 2017 10:08amNEW YORK (AP) — Unreleased songs recorded by Jimi Hendrix between 1968 and 1970 will be released next year.Experience Hendrix and Legacy Recordings announced Wednesday that they will release Hendrix's "Both Sides of the Sky" on March 9, 2018. The 13-track album includes 10 songs that have never been released.Hendrix died in 1970 at age 27. The new album is the third volume in a trilogy from the guitar hero's archive. "Valleys of Neptune" was released in 2010, followed by "People, Hell and Angels," released in 2013.Eddie Kramer, who worked as recording engineer on every Hendrix album made during the artist's life, said in an interview that 1969 was "a very experimental year" for Hendrix, and that he was blown away as he worked on the new album."The first thing is you put the tape on and you listen to it and the hairs just stand up right on the back of your neck and you go, 'Oh my God. This is too (expletive) incredible," said Kramer. "It's an incredible thing. Forty, 50 years later here we are and I'm listening to these tapes going, 'Oh my God, that's an amazing performance.'"Many of the album's tracks were recorded by Band of Gypsys, Hendrix's trio with Buddy Miles and Billy Cox. Stephen Stills appears on two songs: "$20 Fine" and "Woodstock.""It sounds like Crosby, Stills & Nash except it's on acid, you know," Kramer, laughing, said of "$20 Fine.""Jimi is just rocking it," he added. "It's an amazing thing."Johnny Winter appears on "Things I Used to Do"; original Jimi Hendrix Experience members Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding are featured on "Hear My Train A Comin'''; and Lonnie Youngblood is on "Georgia Blues."Kramer produced the album alongside John McDermott and Janie Hendrix, the legend's sister and president of Experience Hendrix. Kramer said though "Both Sides of the Sky" is the last of the trilogy, someone could find new Hendrix music in an attic or a basement, which could be re-worked.He also said they have live footage of Hendrix, some just audio and some in video, which they plan to release."It was amazing just to watch him in the studio or live. The brain kicks off the thought process — it goes through his brain through his heart and through his hands and onto the guitar, and it's a seamless process," Kramer said. "It's like a lead guitar and a rhythm guitar at the same time, and it's scary. There's never been another Jimi Hendrix, at least in my mind."www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/article/New-Jimi-Hendrix-album-with-unreleased-songs-12409412.php

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 529 Posts

Re: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

I guess no one believed Kramer when he said PHA was the LAST studio album. Bullshit.

Anyway, cool to hear a few new recordings.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Can't wait for the full tracklist. Based on the album title I'm thinking we'll be getting maybe a full band studio take of 'Midnight Lightning'...I would love the untouched version of the butchered Douglas track myself...

Thanks

^ My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's going to happen:

https://www.amazon.com/Skies-Cryin-M...GX20XTMSKF0BG7

Other than the potentially unknown Angel take and the two Stills collaborations, none of it sounds really new or exciting. The Woodstock session circulates in fairly good quality, but $20 Fine is only known as a CSN outtake, which I doubt is the version we're getting here. Virtually all of the rest appears to be circulating already in excellent quality.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hendrixfan1995 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    I guess no one believed Kramer when he said PHA was the LAST studio album. Bullshit.

Anyway, cool to hear a few new recordings.
    LOL I remember when he said that about Loose Ends. While the material is finite we know from our bootlegs alone there is much more. Marketing hype. Which I forgive because this is really an exciting announcement! I wonder how much of this is previously bootlegged verses brand new to circulation? Either way
    We most likely will get a mix of upgrades and previously uncirculated material and that is cause for celebration. Plus the SACD/ Vinyl AYE and Axis rereleases make next hears plate full and that inot even mentioning Maui which seems
    To have been superceded at least temporarily by these releases.
    Last edited by Experiencereunited; 1 Week Ago at 05:09 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan1995 View Post
    ^ My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's going to happen:

https://www.amazon.com/Skies-Cryin-M...GX20XTMSKF0BG7

Other than the potentially unknown Angel take and the two Stills collaborations, none of it sounds really new or exciting. The Woodstock session circulates in fairly good quality, but $20 Fine is only known as a CSN outtake, which I doubt is the version we're getting here. Virtually all of the rest appears to be circulating already in excellent quality.
    The image of Jimi in the album art @ the Amazon link almost doesn't look like him...looks like a painting of this face that didn't quite get there.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Use the link to Amazon then click on MP3 for track listing

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bald eagle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skizzle View Post
    The image of Jimi in the album art @ the Amazon link almost doesn't look like him...looks like a painting of this face that didn't quite get there.
    Whoever that is on the cover shown on Amazon, it's not Jimi Hendrix.
    At least whoever it is, the guy does have hair like Hendrix, and he's wearing like an ascot sort of neckwear thing.
    They must not have the CD cover art ready.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 738 Posts

Both Sides Of The Sky presents 13 studio recordings including 10 which have never before been released. All but two of these studio recordings were made during a fertile period between January 1968 and 1970. Jimi's mastery and use of the studio as a proving ground for new songs resulted in a growing collection of extraordinary material. Both Sides Of The Sky completes a trilogy of albums [with Valleys Of Neptune and People, Hell & Angels] presenting the best and most significant unissued studio recordings remaining in the Hendrix archive. The songs include fascinating alternate versions of "Stepping Stone," "Lover Man" and "Hear My Train A Comin'" as well as recordings where Jimi is joined by special guests Johnny Winter and Stephen Stills. Both Sides Of The Sky was mixed by Eddie Kramer, the engineer for all of Hendrix's albums throughout the guitarist's lifetime, and produced by Janie Hendrix, Kramer and John McDermott.

Mannish Boy - The first ever studio session by the group Hendrix would christen as his Band Of Gypsys. Hendrix, Cox & Miles shared a love for the blues as this driving, uptempo reworking of "Mannish Boy" by Muddy Waters makes clear.
    Lover Man - Just two weeks before their triumphant New Year's concerts at the Fillmore East in NYC [yielding both 1970's Band Of Gypsys and 2016's sequel Machine Gun], Hendrix gathered with Cox and Miles to cut this dynamic rendition of what had become a favorite concert staple.
    Hear My Train A Comin features drummer Mitch Mitchell and bassist Noel Redding from the original Jimi Hendrix Experience. This original blues composition had become a staple of Hendrix’s concerts. This previously unreleased April 1969 recording captured the furious power and dynamic tension that made the song so memorable.
    Stepping Stone
    - A totally unique take on this Hendrix favorite, with Jimi showcasing both blues and country styled licks atop a relentless, galloping beat.
    $20 Fine -Stephen Stills joined Jimi, Mitch Mitchell and Buddy Miles Express keyboardist Duane Hitchings at this September 1969 session. With Stephen handling lead vocals and organ, Jimi added multiple guitar parts to this rollicking Stills original.
    Power Of Soul - This 1970 studio session came three weeks after the Band Of Gypsys concerts at the Fillmore East. While a live version remains one of the highpoints of Band Of Gypsys, Jimi never released a studio version during his lifetime. For this album, we present the mix that Hendrix and Kramer prepared of the complete song at Electric Lady on August 22, 1970.
    Jungle - The influence of Curtis Mayfield can be heard here as Jimi expands on the "Villanova Junction Blues" theme he made famous by its inclusion in the 1970 Woodstock documentary.
    Things I Used To Do - Jimi is joined for this rendition of Guitar Slim's blues classic by Johnny Winter. Jimi's trademark guitar work and Winter's deft slide playing weaves in and around the foundation set by bassist Billy Cox and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young drummer Dallas Taylor.
    Georgia Blues - Jimi reunited with some old friends from his pre-Experience days. Lonnie Youngblood, with whom Hendrix played in R&B groups like Curtis Knight & The Squires, voiced this superb twelve bar blues neatly underpinned by Hendrix's sublime rhythm and lead guitar work.
    Sweet Angel - With Axis: Bold As Love only just released, Jimi immediately turned his focus to recording what would become Electric Ladyland. This gorgeous, instrumental reading of "Angel,", features Jimi on guitar, bass and vibraphone joined by Mitch Mitchell.
    Woodstock - Stephen Stills came to this session fresh from having visited Joni Mitchell, who had a new song that Stills was excited to try and record. Long before CSNY's version, Stephen, Jimi and Buddy Miles recorded this amazing rendition.
    Send My Love To Linda - A superb new Hendrix original composition recorded with Cox and Miles in the aftermath of their successful Band Of Gypsys performances at the Fillmore East.
    Cherokee Mist - Together with drummer Mitch Mitchell, Jimi created this moody, evocative original complete with his playing of a sitar to complement his traditional electric guitar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 1 Week Ago at 10:42 AM.

14. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The cover photo sickens me.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to enemal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Free the tapes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 184 Posts

I am especially excited that Cherokee Mist will be included! On the other hand Midnight Lightning isn't mentioned in the list of songs (as well as Hear My Train A Comin')
    I wonder whether the fact that two Steve Stills songs are part of a deal so Steve can release the album of songs he did together with Jimi. A few years ago there was some publicity that Grahma Nash was producuing such an album.
    Cf. Purple Jim's beatiful site: http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-oran...atest_news.htm

Thanks

From the discription of Stepping Stone I get the impression that it concerns the Hit Factory version. Not very exciting IMO

Thanks

Power Of Soul seems to be the expanded South Saturn Delta version. Personally I would love to hear this in a different mix, more like the version on Alan Douglas' Crash Landing LP.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,207 Times in 279 Posts

The official EH lore, with more detailed track info is on line now: http://www.jimihendrix.com/news/new-...e-sky-march-9/

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Looks like the artist got his hands on a photo of Andre 3000 (Andrew Benjamin), dressed as Jimi for the Hendrix movie that was made, and painted his work based on that!

Outrageous that this painting was used for the album cover.

aib_2_00920.jpg

Chris Elliott
    I own every CD release Experience Hendrix has ever put out including singles, boxed sets, special editions, live performances, and Dagger releases. I love making my own contextual mixes such as First Rays mixes based on Jimi's hand written track-lists, and the one I'm currently working on, a compilation of all of the material Jimi and Stephen Stills put together.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mccflo99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah, you can tell from the original on this bringingbackjimihendrix.com site that they have "adjusted" it, that's why it looks more like André Benjamin of All Is By My Side infamy LOL

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkd108 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kees1954 View Post
    I am especially excited that Cherokee Mist will be included!
    I thought that version with the 'sitar' was considered a fake...tho' I did find and post that Jimi did indeed have a 'sitar' guitar(posted here on CTT) that he used once.
    http://crosstowntorrents.org/editpos...08&do=editpost
    Quote Originally Posted by kees1954 View Post
    I wonder whether the fact that two Steve Stills songs are part of a deal so Steve can release the album of songs he did together with Jimi. A few years ago there was some publicity that Grahma Nash was producing such an album.
    I was under the impression that it was that 6CD compilation released a few years back that included 'White Nigger'(with lyrics) was the one you mentioned.
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 1 Week Ago at 04:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    I thought that version with the 'sitar' was considered a fake...tho' I did find and post that Jimi did indeed have a 'sitat' guitar(posted here on CTT) that he used once.
    http://crosstowntorrents.org/editpos...08&do=editpost

I was under the impression that it was that 6CD compilation released a few years back that included 'White Nigger'(with lyrics was the one you mentioned.
    This is an old news item, it seemed to be more:
    https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...iscovered.html
    Last edited by ilovejimi; 1 Week Ago at 03:39 PM.

Thanks

Really looking forward to this release!