Thread: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 298 Posts

New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in MarchMESFIN FEKADU, AP MUSIC WRITERDecember 6, 2017 Updated: December 6, 2017 10:08amNEW YORK (AP) — Unreleased songs recorded by Jimi Hendrix between 1968 and 1970 will be released next year.Experience Hendrix and Legacy Recordings announced Wednesday that they will release Hendrix's "Both Sides of the Sky" on March 9, 2018. The 13-track album includes 10 songs that have never been released.Hendrix died in 1970 at age 27. The new album is the third volume in a trilogy from the guitar hero's archive. "Valleys of Neptune" was released in 2010, followed by "People, Hell and Angels," released in 2013.Eddie Kramer, who worked as recording engineer on every Hendrix album made during the artist's life, said in an interview that 1969 was "a very experimental year" for Hendrix, and that he was blown away as he worked on the new album."The first thing is you put the tape on and you listen to it and the hairs just stand up right on the back of your neck and you go, 'Oh my God. This is too (expletive) incredible," said Kramer. "It's an incredible thing. Forty, 50 years later here we are and I'm listening to these tapes going, 'Oh my God, that's an amazing performance.'"Many of the album's tracks were recorded by Band of Gypsys, Hendrix's trio with Buddy Miles and Billy Cox. Stephen Stills appears on two songs: "$20 Fine" and "Woodstock.""It sounds like Crosby, Stills & Nash except it's on acid, you know," Kramer, laughing, said of "$20 Fine.""Jimi is just rocking it," he added. "It's an amazing thing."Johnny Winter appears on "Things I Used to Do"; original Jimi Hendrix Experience members Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding are featured on "Hear My Train A Comin'''; and Lonnie Youngblood is on "Georgia Blues."Kramer produced the album alongside John McDermott and Janie Hendrix, the legend's sister and president of Experience Hendrix. Kramer said though "Both Sides of the Sky" is the last of the trilogy, someone could find new Hendrix music in an attic or a basement, which could be re-worked.He also said they have live footage of Hendrix, some just audio and some in video, which they plan to release."It was amazing just to watch him in the studio or live. The brain kicks off the thought process — it goes through his brain through his heart and through his hands and onto the guitar, and it's a seamless process," Kramer said. "It's like a lead guitar and a rhythm guitar at the same time, and it's scary. There's never been another Jimi Hendrix, at least in my mind."www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/article/New-Jimi-Hendrix-album-with-unreleased-songs-12409412.php

Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 538 Posts

Re: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

I guess no one believed Kramer when he said PHA was the LAST studio album. Bullshit.

Anyway, cool to hear a few new recordings.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Can't wait for the full tracklist. Based on the album title I'm thinking we'll be getting maybe a full band studio take of 'Midnight Lightning'...I would love the untouched version of the butchered Douglas track myself...

Thanks

^ My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's going to happen:

https://www.amazon.com/Skies-Cryin-M...GX20XTMSKF0BG7

Other than the potentially unknown Angel take and the two Stills collaborations, none of it sounds really new or exciting. The Woodstock session circulates in fairly good quality, but $20 Fine is only known as a CSN outtake, which I doubt is the version we're getting here. Virtually all of the rest appears to be circulating already in excellent quality.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hendrixfan1995 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan1995 View Post
    ^ My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's going to happen:

https://www.amazon.com/Skies-Cryin-M...GX20XTMSKF0BG7

Other than the potentially unknown Angel take and the two Stills collaborations, none of it sounds really new or exciting. The Woodstock session circulates in fairly good quality, but $20 Fine is only known as a CSN outtake, which I doubt is the version we're getting here. Virtually all of the rest appears to be circulating already in excellent quality.
    The image of Jimi in the album art @ the Amazon link almost doesn't look like him...looks like a painting of this face that didn't quite get there.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Use the link to Amazon then click on MP3 for track listing

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bald eagle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skizzle View Post
    The image of Jimi in the album art @ the Amazon link almost doesn't look like him...looks like a painting of this face that didn't quite get there.
    Whoever that is on the cover shown on Amazon, it's not Jimi Hendrix.
    At least whoever it is, the guy does have hair like Hendrix, and he's wearing like an ascot sort of neckwear thing.
    They must not have the CD cover art ready.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skizzle View Post
    Looks more like a Hendrix lookalike. Close, but.......
    'The very fact you oppose this makes me think I'm onto something'

Thanks

BUT WHAT EVER HAPPEN TO THE JAM WITH HENDRIX ON BASS WITH AND STILLS ON GUITAR FROM THE DOUGLAS RECORDING YOU CAN BE ANYONE THIS TIME AROUND DOES ANY BODY HAVE THAT JAM WITH OUT TIMOTHY LEARYS VOICE OVER. THATS THE ONE I WOULD LOVE TO HERE WITH STILLS IT WAS A KILLER JAM BY THOSE TWO THEY SEEM TO REALLY HIT IT OFF TOGETHER REAL GOOD!!

Thanks

I'm jonesing for more info on these tracks and the 30 second preview clips. Have any further specifics on the tracks made it into the public sphere? I want to know where/when the 'Stepping Stone' cut originates from for example..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALHI View Post
    BUT WHAT EVER HAPPEN TO THE JAM WITH HENDRIX ON BASS WITH AND STILLS ON GUITAR FROM THE DOUGLAS RECORDING YOU CAN BE ANYONE THIS TIME AROUND DOES ANY BODY HAVE THAT JAM WITH OUT TIMOTHY LEARYS VOICE OVER. THATS THE ONE I WOULD LOVE TO HERE WITH STILLS IT WAS A KILLER JAM BY THOSE TWO THEY SEEM TO REALLY HIT IT OFF TOGETHER REAL GOOD!!
    I always thought that was one of the "Sending My Love to Linda" takes, or one of the "Woodstock" takes that's already in circulation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    I guess no one believed Kramer when he said PHA was the LAST studio album. Bullshit.

Anyway, cool to hear a few new recordings.
    LOL I remember when he said that about Loose Ends. While the material is finite we know from our bootlegs alone there is much more. Marketing hype. Which I forgive because this is really an exciting announcement! I wonder how much of this is previously bootlegged verses brand new to circulation? Either way
    We most likely will get a mix of upgrades and previously uncirculated material and that is cause for celebration. Plus the SACD/ Vinyl AYE and Axis rereleases make next hears plate full and that inot even mentioning Maui which seems
    To have been superceded at least temporarily by these releases.
    Last edited by Experiencereunited; 12-06-17 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks

Based on the title of the lp, I was hoping one of the "new" songs would be "Keep On Groovin". Oh well. Someone here said the circulating "Woodstock" was "fairly good" sound quality. If he meant "fair to good" I guess I agree and I'm pleased that Kramer has probably upped that to VG or Excellent. From the circulating version I've heard, I assumed it was recorded on a portable recorder with no separation for the instruments. I wonder how it was cleaned up.