Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

Thanks
    Thanked 2,586 Times in 774 Posts

Re: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

Quote Originally Posted by karsten View Post
    The Band of Gypsys instrumental version of Send My Love to Linda has the riff from Woodstock/Live and Let Live
    Yeah...that's one of the Jan '70 recordings when 'Sending My Love to Linda' appeared. The original question was where was the unaltered take 5 of Sending My Love to Linda/Woodstock...I merely pointed out that the track in question had nothing to do with SMLTL because it didn't show up until the next year in Jan '70....at that time the Live and Let Live jam was added to it on some takes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If you watch a couple of recent Eddie Kramer interviews he is hinting that he is not too pleased at this latest offering of so called new Hendrix material. He even does a zip like motion with his mouth when interview asks is this material that has been around or just unearthed! You need to watch it to get the clear vibe!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sidesofthesky View Post
    If you watch a couple of recent Eddie Kramer interviews he is hinting that he is not too pleased at this latest offering of so called new Hendrix material. He even does a zip like motion with his mouth when interview asks is this material that has been around or just unearthed! You need to watch it to get the clear vibe!
    He doesn't sound displeased to me:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOS7YrFicsk

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kurher For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kurher View Post
    He doesn't sound displeased to me:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOS7YrFicsk
    Kramer on new album: "it's stuff that has been unearthed to a large degree...and the process of the mixing is the centerpeice of how we put this all together". Around the 00:15:30 mark he starts talking briefly about the new CD but mostly about his recent history 'restoring' Hendrix tapes from analog to digital. No details AT ALL about the new cd but it is interesting to hear him talk gear and process.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uncle carmi View Post
    Does anyone know if this rendition of 'Send my Love to Linda' is going to have vocals or just be an instrumental?
    The song will have vocals.

YM

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazid Manou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,195 Times in 378 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yazid Manou View Post
    The song will have vocals.

YM
    Will it be a 'version' which Jimi ever listened to though? (No, it wont be)

By the time we get to hear 'Black Gold' it'll probably have drums, horns and well yeah, panflute!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,508 Times in 2,436 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johanincr View Post
    Will it be a 'version' which Jimi ever listened to though? (No, it wont be)

By the time we get to hear 'Black Gold' it'll probably have drums, horns and well yeah, panflute!
    eg Chandler's post JH od's of vox & drums (mitch) bass (noel) & his totally gratuitous horn overdub on 'Taking Care Of No Business'?

At least (unlike Chandler & "Douglas") Kramer hasn't [yet] used any tracks that weren't recorded by JH, in his post JH editing - afaik (well, apart from a few Mitch's drum tracks during the COL period? Oh, and the vibes by Linhart)
    Last edited by stplsd; 01-12-18 at 07:33 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

How do you know that Yazid?

Chris
    I own every CD release Experience Hendrix has ever put out including singles, boxed sets, special editions, live performances, and Dagger releases. I love making my own contextual mixes such as First Rays mixes based on Jimi's hand written track-lists, and the one I'm currently working on, a compilation of all of the material Jimi and Stephen Stills put together.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mccflo99 View Post
    How do you know that Yazid?
    I promote the release for France. But I won't give anymore details for now.

YM

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Yazid Manou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 299 Posts

Rolling Stone:
    Jimi Hendrix Collaborators on Assembling Guitarist's Long-Awaited New LP
    With a fresh batch of lost recordings due this spring, Stephen Stills and engineer Eddie Kramer reflect on Hendrix's studio genius
    By Kory Grow
    21 minutes ago
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...he-sky-w514916

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks

From RS article: "on a country-inflected take on "Stepping Stone," the last single he released in his lifetime, he plays catcalls and schoolyard taunts on his guitar in between lyrics." ...I wish they would just post the preview clips! I still want to know if this is just a different mix of the track already released or a different take altogether. I'm guessing it's just going to be a different mix of the take which has already been released in at least 3 different forms I can think of off the top of my head...

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

Track running times shown on Google Play now:

https://play.google.com/store/music/...sol45s3d7ilpki

Looks like Cherokee Mist is a minute longer than the version released on the JHE box-set. Hear My Train A Comin' is also a similar run time to the studio version released on VON, so likely another take from the same session?

Anyone else glean any insights from the running times?

Chris Elliott
    I own every CD release Experience Hendrix has ever put out including singles, boxed sets, special editions, live performances, and Dagger releases. I love making my own contextual mixes such as First Rays mixes based on Jimi's hand written track-lists, and the one I'm currently working on, a compilation of all of the material Jimi and Stephen Stills put together.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mccflo99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hmm... too short Things I Used To Do...

Thanks

YM

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazid Manou For This Useful Post:

Thanks

'Stepping Stone' is 50 some seconds shorter than the take we already have...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,586 Times in 774 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mccflo99 View Post
    Track running times shown on Google Play now:

https://play.google.com/store/music/...sol45s3d7ilpki
    1 Mannish Boy 5:01

2 Lover Man 3:03

3 Hear My Train a Comin' 7:25

4 Stepping Stone 3:12

5 $20 Fine 4:59

6 Power of Soul 5:55

7 Jungle 3:28

8 Things I Used to Do 3:41

9 Georgia Blues 7:55

10 Sweet Angel 3:54

11 Woodstock 5:19

12 Send My Love to Linda 4:36

13 Cherokee Mist 7:01
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 01-16-18 at 07:48 AM.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

1). We know the Mannish Boy session was extensive, and Eddie has a slew of takes to pick from, so there will likely be new overdubs appearing at the very least (or maybe none at all).
    Update: Just heard the Eddie Kramer BBC sample, and Mannish Boy is a fresh composite that uses completely different takes from Alan Douglas "Blues" version. The guitar solo is familiar but uses reverb instead of phasing.

2). Lover Man (3:03) from December 15th, 1969;
    "A Spirited "Lover Man" came next, albeit without a vocal from Hendrix." The band switches to Izabella, Earth Blues Today, Message To Love and Them Changes, before returning to Lover Man again.
    "Now locked in a groove, the group next recorded seven takes of "Lover Man". These versions. rather surprisingly, never quite gelled. Miles seemed to struggle with maintaining a consistent tempo."

3). Hear My Train A Comin' (7:25)
    April 2, 1969 - "Hendrix dedicated this evening to the blues, focusing on "The Train" better known as "Hear My Train A Comin'," and ""Midnight (Lightning)". Though the group attempted structured takes for both numbers, the recordings made here were largely jams."
    April 7, 1969 - "A number of terrific takes held promise, but none seemed to satisfy Hendrix's design for the song."
    April 9, 1969 - "The group recorded new takes of "Hear My Train A Comin'," marked on the tape box as "Get My Arse Back Together", with Hendrix also adding a lead guitar overdub."

4). Stepping Stone (3:12) - Take 14 from November 14th, 1969 with overdubs added on November 18th.
    "Take 14 of "I'm A Man" recorded on November 14, 1969, was pulled out and treated with multiple bass and guitar overdubs. Cox recorded new bass parts, while Hendrix added no fewer than four lead guitar parts."

5). $20 Fine (4:59) - Take 3, September 30th, 1969

6). Power Of Soul (5:55)- "This 1970 studio session came three weeks after the Band Of Gypsys concerts at the Fillmore East. While a live version remains one of the highpoints of Band Of Gypsys, Jimi never released a studio version during his lifetime. For this album, we present the mix that Hendrix and Kramer prepared of the complete song at Electric Lady on August 22, 1970."
    PH&A B-Side Re-issue run time is (5:45)

7). Jungle (3:28), November 14, 1969 -
    "Previously unheard recordings of “Stepping Stone,” “Jungle,” “Cherokee Mist” (which features Hendrix on both electric guitar and sitar) as well as the January 1968 recording of “Sweet Angel” provide further highlights."
    "Takes 1 and 4 were particularly noteworthy, each featuring strands of "Ezy Ryder" and "Villanova Junction." Sadly Hendrix gave up after 5 takes, calling the sessions to a close."

An unreleased take of "Jungle" would probably be from take 4 with a Fade out, or if we have bad information, it is one of the 3 re-issued songs with a fade out before the "Ezy Ryder" riff begins.

8). The Things I Used to Do (3:41) - May 7, 1969 (Previously available in varying sound quality on bootleg)

9). Georgia Blues (7:55) - March 18, 1969 (Previously available on "Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues: Jimi Hendrix")

10). Sweet Angel (3:54) -
    "With Axis: Bold As Love only just released, Jimi immediately turned his focus to recording what would become Electric Ladyland. This gorgeous, instrumental reading of "Angel,", features Jimi on guitar, bass and vibraphone joined by Mitch Mitchell."
    Ultimate Hendrix does not list a session that matches this description, but on December 28, 1967, Hendrix does a session with him on Guitar, Bass, Rhythm Ace (drum machine) and Drums. Which was the last session on "Sweet Angel" until June 1970
    November 13, 1967
    December 28, 1967

11). Woodstock (5:19) - September 30th, 1969;
    This session yielded many jams on the "Woodstock" melody that McDermott gives positive reviews ("Superb", "well played"), with Alan Douglas using Take 5 and re-titling it "Live And Let Live". "Both Sides Of The Sky" appears to use Take 2 from this session.

12). Send My Love To Linda (4:36) - January 16th, 1970
    "Hendrix then presented a rough sketch of the medium-tempo ballad "Send My Love To Linda." With Hendrix's Guitar and live vocal setting the pace, Cox and Miles established the tempo, Though Hendrix had only developed the song's rudiments, one take evolved into a lively, extended jam session. Encouraged by the group's progress, Hendrix began a second take. this effort was even stronger in parts than the first, but both takes lacked an ending. Fives takes in all made it clear that, despite its promise, " Send My Love to Linda" was not yet fully developed."

13). Cherokee Mist (7:01) - May 2nd, 1968 (Previously available in varying sound quality on bootlegs)
    Hendrix/Mitchell record Cherokee Mist without bass (Noel Reading), with Jimi adding two overdubs (Electric Sitar, Alternating Rhythm/Lead Guitar).
    Later that evening, Jimi and Mitch visit the Scene Club and return with Steve Winwood, Jack Casady, Eddie Kramer and a host of friends to record "Voodoo Chile".

All excerpts picked from "Ultimate Hendrix" by John McDermott.
    Last edited by Voodoo Kush; 01-19-18 at 11:27 PM.

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Voodoo Kush For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Mannish Boy audio on YouTube

https://youtu.be/0t0Qp9K_y6M

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Voodoo Kush For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sounds like "Loose Ends vol. 2".
    A bit weird to promote this album with Mannish Boy. Surely some of the tracks had more work done by Jimi (e.g. Power Of Soul) than this unrehearsed jam.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to karsten For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was in London on tuesday at Spiritland near King Cross where we attended a listening of the new album (5 first songs) with Eddie Kramer who answered to some questions from the assistance (around 70 international media).

YM
    Last edited by Yazid Manou; 01-19-18 at 11:07 AM.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yazid Manou For This Useful Post: