Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

Thanks

Re: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

Just listened to my purple vinyl copy straight through I picked up at a brick and Mortar Barnes and Noble for the first time. I puposely avoide listening to the streams so I could hear for the first time on my main system in the format of my choice.

First impressions

Side A doesnt do much for me but at least parts of the Hear My Train are stellar. The 45 of Lover Man is just top shelf compared to the LP version too. Maybe side A will have to grow on me.

Side B Dont really like the Stepping Stone arrangement and around this point in the album I start to notice Buddys drums are kind of annoying me. The new Stills song is cool and I love Jungle (very Villanova Junction esque)

Side C Georgia Blues much better than I remember it being (been a while since I listened to it.) Sweet Angel is beautiful I really love the vibes on it

Side D I enjoyed Woodstock great bass by Jimi. I have read all the dislike of Sending my love to Linda but I kind of like it. It really feels like 4 different moods in one track and I have alwys loved the jam at the end. Great to have that in this quality. Cherokee Mist feels like the only track that is really finished on the whole LP and I have waited a long time to get a fully realized version in official great quality.

Hit and miss but maybe it will grow on me. Still new Jimi and if this had turned up as a boot most would be extremely excited about it. Would rather hear it like this than on a boot.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 539 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trampledunderfoot View Post
    I think "Georgia" is supposed to be longer, isn't it? (I honestly haven't bothered to check because it's not a song I'm going to revisit often.)

"Send My Love to Linda" is absolutely the worst part of the album. At first I didn't think it was so bad, but...it's embarrassingly put together, IMO.

"Stepping Stone"--Hendrix did overdub onto that recording, so I don't think stuff was flown in. Could be wrong, though.

What's so bad about "Things I Used to Do"? I honestly love the audio quality, but I don't hear anything like the "Linda" edits here. Maybe I'm just not as familiar with the multiple mixes of this track. My only complaint is the weak ending that goes from the middle of solo-ing to suddenly being over.
    Georgia Blues is the same length and probably the same mix as on Martin Scorsese Presents.
    I'm so familiar with the complete take of The Things I Used To Do that these edits are just very jarring. It could have been done better.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/929870/rock-and-metal-reviews-myles-kennedy-jimi-hendrix-moody-blues-rory-gallagher-nightwish

JIMI HENDRIX

Both Sides Of The Sky (Sony/Legacy) ****
    This lovingly curated restoration of rare Hendrix studio session tracks lifts the lid on Jimi’s journey from the Experience to his Band Of Gypsy’s period. It features 13 studio recordings from 1968 - 1970, including ten unreleased tracks.
    This is the third and final volume in a trilogy of record releases to showcase the most significant and essential recordings remaining in this legends vaults. And it’s all killer no filler.
    To hear Jimi’s studio banter as he stretches his hands across the frets thereby creating that instant, inimitable trademark sound is to feel to be in the immediate presence of the great man himself.
    Jimi Hendrix's restored London flat opens to the public

Play Video

Notable history in the making moments proliferates across this entire release. An uptempo version of Muddy Waters’ Mannish Boy finds Billy Cox on bass and Buddy Miles on drums, prior to their Band Of Gypsys incarnation.
    A fascinating early recording of Joni Mitchell’s Woodstock finds Jimi reverting back to his previous sideman role as Stephen Stills leads on this searing, slightly funky session.
    Cherokee Mist also provides an insightful moment into Hendrix’s willingness to explore and experiment with sound as he plays the sitar. Also, his fun side shines strongly through on a Band Of Gypsys 1969 take of Lover Man by skilfully interpolating the Batman theme into it.
    With Jimi’s original engineer Eddie Kramer on-board mixing and co-producing with John McDermott and his sister Janie Hendrix who is the safe keeper of his estate, this final release thrills as it spills its remaining audio archive gems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skizzle View Post
    Thanks! This is one of the better interviews I've seen of them during this round of publicity. Nice to see them both give Noel props around the 27:30 mark.

Can anyone kindly indicate to me ONE instance of where Redding is driving Jimi's playing? Driving him mad is one thing, that I think we all agree on LOL.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vkd108 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,075 Times in 893 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    Georgia Blues is the same length and probably the same mix as on Martin Scorsese Presents.
    I'm so familiar with the complete take of The Things I Used To Do that these edits are just very jarring. It could have been done better.
    Different mix as here it is mono or as close to mono as can be without it being classed as mono, if you get what I'm saying!!
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    By the way, when are they going to give the same treatment to "Messenger"? I'd like to hear that in better quality.
    they have already released "messenger" in great quality. west coast seatte boy box

11. The Following User Says Thank You to purplehazechild For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purplehazechild View Post
    they have already released "messenger" in great quality. west coast seatte boy box
    Oh yeah! I forgot about that. Someday I'll have to compile a "Best of the Bottom of the Barrel Posthumous Releases"!

Thanks

Just a confirmation that the Target store release doesn't have any bonus tracks. I picked it up yesterday. Jury is still out on this one....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vkd108 View Post
    Can anyone kindly indicate to me ONE instance of where Redding is driving Jimi's playing? Driving him mad is one thing, that I think we all agree on LOL.
    Kramer's using the state of the band at the time to hype up the story. No doubt there was lots of tension between Jimi and Noel. They're trying to sell a product while at the same time provide historical context to draw in listener's. There are sales tactics at play here but they're not making anything up.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo Kush For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The theme of "restoration" on this album is prevalent. From the over restored cover, to Eddie Kramer's "restoration" of the songs and some of the controversial edits. My first listen was jaded by opinions I read online, but after my 6th listen I am now thoroughly enjoying many of the tracks. $20 Fine, Stepping Stone and the solo on Lover man are some of my favorites. A few things I would change, would be to take off Georgia Blues (sorry Lonnie), and release complete takes of Hear My Train A Comin' and Jungle.

Jungle was the biggest disappointment for me. The liner notes for Jungle are brief and vague, but it sounds like a 1st take, and not the 3rd that I assume would build on Take 2 from "Morning Symphony Ideas" with the "Jungle/Villanova/Ezy Ryder/South Saturn Delta/Lonely Avenue/Izabella" riffs mixed together. I now appreciate the Morning Symphony Ideas version much more.

Thanks

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Summerisle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,561 Times in 2,457 Posts

Thanks, interesting.

JMcD (recognition, finally): “Jimi’s doing both, the Bo Diddley and the Muddy Waters in the piece.” ie The 'piece' should be titled 'I'm a Man'/'Manish Boy' - as should every version Jimmy/Jimi recorded.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Does anyone have details on the recording dates for each track? I like to take note of it so I can reference it to the rest of Jimi's work
    Is the microphone on?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyder52 View Post
    Does anyone have details on the recording dates for each track? I like to take note of it so I can reference it to the rest of Jimi's work
    The dates are in the album's booklet.

Thanks

Never thought about the differences between I'm A Man and Mannish Boy before. Always just assumed they were the same song, and they're not, how about that. I should have known that too, used to listen to a lot of blues at one time in my life.

Couple of Wikipedia things:

"I'm a Man" is a rhythm and blues song written and recorded by Bo Diddley in 1955. A moderately slow number, it was inspired by an earlier blues song and became a number one U.S. R&B chart hit. "I'm a Man" has been recorded by a variety of artists, including the Yardbirds who had a number 17 pop hit in the U.S. in 1965.

"Mannish Boy" (or "Manish Boy" as it was originally titled) is a blues standard by Muddy Waters. First recorded in 1955, the song is both an arrangement of and an "answer song" to Bo Diddley's "I'm a Man",[1] which was in turn inspired by Waters' and Willie Dixon's "Hoochie Coochie Man".[2] "Mannish Boy" features a repeating stop-time figure on one chord throughout the song and is credited to Waters, Mel London, and Bo Diddley.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MP For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle View Post
    The dates are in the album's booklet.
    Care to share for those who have the album digitally? Thanks!
    Is the microphone on?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,763 Times in 227 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spyder52 View Post
    Care to share for those who have the album digitally? Thanks!

BSOTS.jpg

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to okla70homa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,202 Times in 380 Posts

On Sweet Angel it says 'vibrophone' which should read 'vibraphone' - and something nobody mentioned yet (in the linernotes or elsewhere): there's also a glockenspiel overdub, not just the vibraphone.

This is a vibraphone:

This is a glockenspiel, you know that distinct sound from Little Wing.....

A Vibrophone does exist but its something completely different

https://www.antikeychop.com/violinvibrophone

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It's on spotify.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johanincr View Post
    On Sweet Angel it says 'vibrophone' which should read 'vibraphone' - and something nobody mentioned yet (in the linernotes or elsewhere): there's also a glockenspiel overdub, not just the vibraphone.
    When were these chimes added, I wonder