Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

Thanks
    Thanked 4,244 Times in 382 Posts

Re: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

Its nice to see the news about this new release but they could have used a better pic of Jimi.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rupe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johanincr View Post
    Its nice to see the news about this new release but they could have used a better pic of Jimi.....
    It's amazing how 'real' this photo looks and how 'fake' the album cover photo looks. The dude who 'restored' the pic featured on the album cover did not have a good sense of what Jimi actually looked like.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

White N....R not Black N....R

Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 232 Posts

It is very unusual to publish the final cover artwork three months in advance.
    I think (and hope) this is just for the announcement. Hopefully...

Thanks

Stills released the track as the instrumental "No-Name Jam", with all vocals mixed out but Jimi's guitar more prominent than on the bootleg. The bootlegged version is a bit of a mess due to sloppily double tracked vocals. And that's the only recently released Stills track with Jimi contributions AFAIK.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,604 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vkd108 View Post
    Yeah, you can tell from the original on this bringingbackjimihendrix.com site that they have "adjusted" it, that's why it looks more like André Benjamin of All Is By My Side infamy LOL

I hope this picture isn't a 'taster' for what scissorhands has done to the music

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skizzle View Post
    The image of Jimi in the album art @ the Amazon link almost doesn't look like him...looks like a painting of this face that didn't quite get there.
    Looks more like a Hendrix lookalike. Close, but.......
    'The very fact you oppose this makes me think I'm onto something'

Thanks

hahaha horrible pic! Looks more like this guy: http://media.tmz.com/2014/06/19/0619...1-1200x630.jpg

Thanks

“We strongly felt this would be the last of the studio albums, and we are not going to do any more studio albums after this. There is plenty of material left, and what we do have is a wonderful selection of live shows.”

- Kramer, March 2013

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron The Bear For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Based on the title of the lp, I was hoping one of the "new" songs would be "Keep On Groovin". Oh well. Someone here said the circulating "Woodstock" was "fairly good" sound quality. If he meant "fair to good" I guess I agree and I'm pleased that Kramer has probably upped that to VG or Excellent. From the circulating version I've heard, I assumed it was recorded on a portable recorder with no separation for the instruments. I wonder how it was cleaned up.

Thanks

Who the hell have they got doing their cover art? That is absolutely terrible. Wtf....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Summerisle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    No....White Nigger was released in 2008 on a Stills compilation....tho' it's different than the bootleg....the bootleg(AFAIR) was quite a bit slower....same chords but way slower version....and also didn't have the vocals.....I recall downloading it when it got released
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXrGuvyyMyI
    I think I know which one you mean. The official version with vocals is a pseudo-live Manassas recording, presumably from 1972, which has no Jimi involvement (released 2005 on "Pieces" - Tr 10 High and Dry). A bootleg version of that same recording without the audience overdub is on "Down the Road Outtakes".

20. The Following User Says Thank You to hendrixfan1995 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 371 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle View Post
    Who the hell have they got doing their cover art? That is absolutely terrible. Wtf....
    Im not one to complain about Jimii album art. In fact I like Midnight Lightning, First Rays and Valleys of Neptune.
    Album covers I have seen many others complain about. This planned album cover for Both Sides Of The Sky however is just plain awful. I hope they change iit before actual release.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,706 Times in 307 Posts

This is shoddy in every way - from the ridiculously over photoshopped Berkofsky photo which doesn't look like Jimi - which we all hate - to a horrible track listing of stuff mostly already released...this is the best they could do? Mannish Boy? Jungle? Georgia Blues? et al Again?? I know they are trying to satisfy demand for product - but I am sure if they had let some of us into what is left in the archives we could do a much better job...just as I felt with the other two in the *ahem* "trilogy" - this is not doing Jimi's legacy any real good...maybe for Dagger...but mainstream release? Forget it.

I remember turning on EH when they released the horrible "First Rays" cover - and now, in terms of sheer garishness, they have managed to top that one. Their art direction is horrible, and I am tired of Kramer just bullshitting ever more heavily with every release.

I was wondering when they were gonna pull out the feedback version of Cherokee Mist...

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm surprised they didn't include Heaven Has No Sorrow. Maybe there keeping it back for one more miserable scrape of the barrel.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Horizon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,706 Times in 307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't include Heaven Has No Sorrow. Maybe there keeping it back for one more miserable scrape of the barrel.
    Problem is - very closely related to Send My Love to Linda - and probably couldn't have them both on the same album really - so you are probably right. I mean they couldn't release the rest of Black Gold, or Faye tape or interesting stuff...every since they signed the Sony deal it has been barrel scraping...I even thought WCSB while it was good for us hardcore folks - was indicative of a general decline...which just got worse...except for 31/12/69 show.

We still don't have an official unedited straight mix of Power of Soul either...are they resurrecting that experimental(?) mix again? I don't believe that was anything more than just a test...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The art we know and its terrible. We dont know the material yet so I think saying barrel scraping or the content is bad is an uninformed over reaction. We are getting new official Jimi. Always good. What we do know about this release is the song selection and that all versions are previously unreleased except Georgia Blues and Things I used to do. Power of Soul is previously released in a less complete form. So that makes 11 new official versions.
    10 if u dont count Power Of Soul
    Pretty good and Ill reserve any other judgement until I hear it.
    Interesting is this is the first release I can think of where they actually acknowledge something Douglas did. (Things I used to do). Prior to this time if they didnt do it or it wasnt done pre Douglas they acted like it never happened
    Last edited by Experiencereunited; 12-08-17 at 11:21 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    Personally I often wonder how much of the stuff circulating in trading circles is also in the hands of EH. Maybe a private individual possess the master of 'Heaven' or maybe it doesn't exist any longer. There's great quality studio stuff that's been torrented of which perhaps EH doesn't possess the master recordings.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skizzle View Post
    Personally I often wonder how much of the stuff circulating in trading circles is also in the hands of EH. Maybe a private individual possess the master of 'Heaven' or maybe it doesn't exist any longer. There's great quality studio stuff that's been torrented of which perhaps EH doesn't possess the master recordings.
    Interesting and yes this is very possible for at least some of what circulates in traders circles. Following this assumption for at least some of the material in the next release the next release will be less likely to be material that is already circulating. . Won't know till we hear though.