Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

Thanks

Re: New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

Eddie Kramer's singing for his supper these days.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Summerisle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by funkydrummer View Post
    Problem is - very closely related to Send My Love to Linda - and probably couldn't have them both on the same album really - so you are probably right. I mean they couldn't release the rest of Black Gold, or Faye tape or interesting stuff...every since they signed the Sony deal it has been barrel scraping...I even thought WCSB while it was good for us hardcore folks - was indicative of a general decline...which just got worse...except for 31/12/69 show.

We still don't have an official unedited straight mix of Power of Soul either...are they resurrecting that experimental(?) mix again? I don't believe that was anything more than just a test...
    That didn't stop them last album from Following up Earth Blues with Somewhere, even though they have the same lyrics!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smokinchains For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I haven't seen this mentioned yet but IMO the horrendous new cover photo has been photo shopped to make Jimi look like a 2017 celebrity/rapper/sportsperson in order to appeal to a younger and broader demographic. I mean look at the face?? There's literally a hundred guys that with that face running around in the NBA/NFL or releasing hip hop albums. Such a shameful and disgraceful move by EH. I've always stuck up for Janie and EH but they've really lost me on this one, both with the cover and the barrel scraping of Jimi's studio material.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,603 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    Power of Soul is previously released in a less complete form.
    I'm pretty sure they've already released the 'more complete form' on that 'Somewhere' single 'B' side, whether it was actually more complete or just had another verse from a different take cut into it is questionable? It also has a couple extra words in the chorus but some of the ooh-aahs have been mixed out or are missing:

Come on back up to Earth my friend
    Come on back up with me
    We all been up through the night time, baby
    Now let’s reap the waves of reality-y
    Oh-yeah (of soul)
    (Yea-eah)
    Yeah (Yea-eah)

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    I'm pretty sure they've already released the 'more complete form' on that 'Somewhere' single 'B' side, whether it was actually more complete or just had another verse from a different take cut into it is questionable? It also has a couple extra words in the chorus but some of the ooh-aahs have been mixed out or are missing:

Come on back up to Earth my friend
    Come on back up with me
    We all been up through the night time, baby
    Now let’s reap the waves of reality-y
    Oh-yeah (of soul)
    (Yea-eah)
    Yeah (Yea-eah)

We´ll see.
    Amazon states For this album, we present the mix that Hendrix and Kramer prepared of the complete song at Electric Lady on August 22, 1970.
    The version on the vinyl 7" b-side was mixed by Jimi and Bob Hughes(the sleeve says).

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sunrise For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There is an article in Times of India which talks about Jimi playing the sitar in Cherokee Mist on the new album Both sides of the Sky:

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolk...w/62028653.cms

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DoctorGero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,706 Times in 307 Posts

"Equally interested is tabla player Pt Tanmoy Bose, who accompanied Shankar on many occasions. Bose remembered an anecdote about Hendrix after he (Hendrix) returned from Monterey. "Hendrix had entered a room where his father was sitting, who asked him 'Jimi, did you meet Ravi Shankar?' Hendrix said: 'Yes, he heard my concert.' Hendrix's father hugged him and said: 'I wish I was there'." On being asked whether Hendrix, like Beatles star George Harrison, had also taken sitar lessons from Shankar, Bose said he didn't know. "I am looking forward to hearing what Hendrix did with the sound of the sitar when he played this track," he said".

Hendrix's father? What?! The PR nonsense just gets more annoying as time goes on...

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

"Equally interested is tabla player Pt Tanmoy Bose, who accompanied Shankar on many occasions. Bose remembered an anecdote about Hendrix after he (Hendrix) returned from Monterey. "Hendrix had entered a room where his father was sitting, who asked him 'Jimi, did you meet Ravi Shankar?' Hendrix said: 'Yes, he heard my concert.' Hendrix's father hugged him and said: 'I wish I was there'." On being asked whether Hendrix, like Beatles star George Harrison, had also taken sitar lessons from Shankar, Bose said he didn't know. "I am looking forward to hearing what Hendrix did with the sound of the sitar when he played this track," he said".

Hendrix's father? What?! The PR nonsense just gets more annoying as time goes on...
    BS postulate of the year...

Thanks

...Kind of reminded why I stopped checking in very much, looking at some of the replies in this thread.

I'm excited about it. Sign me up for any Jimi...do I wish a couple of the tracks (looking at you specifically, "Things I Used to Do") were more complete or whatever? Yeah, but c'est la vie, and I've got my mountain of bootleg recordings to sate my desire for a 7-minute version.

The "Power of Soul" debate above is weird, considering it's not supposed to be a Frankenstein or a latter-days remix, but something Hendrix actually worked on. Previously released on that single, and shared with me via some kind soul here...but it'll be nice to get a proper digital version, and now it'll be more widespread (at least a little bit) wider than the handful of collectors who bought that 7" or who have a ripped vinyl copy somewhere.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trampledunderfoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Does anyone know if this rendition of 'Send my Love to Linda' is going to have vocals or just be an instrumental?

Thanks

BUT WHAT EVER HAPPEN TO THE JAM WITH HENDRIX ON BASS WITH AND STILLS ON GUITAR FROM THE DOUGLAS RECORDING YOU CAN BE ANYONE THIS TIME AROUND DOES ANY BODY HAVE THAT JAM WITH OUT TIMOTHY LEARYS VOICE OVER. THATS THE ONE I WOULD LOVE TO HERE WITH STILLS IT WAS A KILLER JAM BY THOSE TWO THEY SEEM TO REALLY HIT IT OFF TOGETHER REAL GOOD!!

Thanks

I'm jonesing for more info on these tracks and the 30 second preview clips. Have any further specifics on the tracks made it into the public sphere? I want to know where/when the 'Stepping Stone' cut originates from for example..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skizzle View Post
    I'm jonesing for more info on these tracks and the 30 second preview clips. Have any further specifics on the tracks made it into the public sphere? I want to know where/when the 'Stepping Stone' cut originates from for example..
    The released single of Stepping Stone was recorded on January 7, 1970, with final overdubs and mix on february.On November 18, 1969:"Take 14 of 'I'm A Man' [ie Stepping Stone] , recorded on November 14, 1969, was pulled out and treated with multiple bass and guitar overdubs. Cox recorded new bass parts, while Hendrx added no fewer than four lead guitar parts. Hendrix had come closer to recognizing a finished master, but additional work on the song would continue in the months to come." JMcDermott, UH, pg 184.A strong contender in my oppinion.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALHI View Post
    BUT WHAT EVER HAPPEN TO THE JAM WITH HENDRIX ON BASS WITH AND STILLS ON GUITAR FROM THE DOUGLAS RECORDING YOU CAN BE ANYONE THIS TIME AROUND DOES ANY BODY HAVE THAT JAM WITH OUT TIMOTHY LEARYS VOICE OVER. THATS THE ONE I WOULD LOVE TO HERE WITH STILLS IT WAS A KILLER JAM BY THOSE TWO THEY SEEM TO REALLY HIT IT OFF TOGETHER REAL GOOD!!
    I always thought that was one of the "Sending My Love to Linda" takes, or one of the "Woodstock" takes that's already in circulation.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,640 Times in 794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    I always thought that was one of the "Sending My Love to Linda" takes, or one of the "Woodstock" takes that's already in circulation.
    'Live and Let Live'(Sept 30, 69)...the only take I'm aware of is the one with the voice over....
    'Send My Love to Linda' didn't even appear until Jan' 70
    source: Collectors Studio Sets 69 & 70

Thanks
    Thanked 3,706 Times in 307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uncle carmi View Post
    Does anyone know if this rendition of 'Send my Love to Linda' is going to have vocals or just be an instrumental?
    Lots of discussion about this over at the Hoffman forums...some have wondered if it is going to be 'Frankensteined'? Personally I don't see how it is possible...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,244 Times in 382 Posts

Lots of discussion about this over at the Hoffman forums...some have wondered if it is going to be 'Frankensteined'? Personally I don't see how it is possible...
    Imagine someone showing you the coverart for this release some years ago, would you even believe it is real coverart for a mainstream EH release?

I'd be very surprised if it (SMLTL) turns out to be Authentic....

26. The Following User Says Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    'Live and Let Live'(Sept 30, 69)...the only take I'm aware of is the one with the voice over....
    'Send My Love to Linda' didn't even appear until Jan' 70
    source: Collectors Studio Sets 69 & 70
    And yet all three - "Live & Let Live", "Woodstock" and "Sending My Love to Linda" sound to me like they're using the same riff.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,640 Times in 794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    And yet all three - "Live & Let Live", "Woodstock" and "Sending My Love to Linda" sound to me like they're using the same riff.
    "Sending My Love to Linda" is a completely different song/chord progression....
    Yes....the 'riff' in the one Woodstock take does sound like the Live and Let Live riff...
    I'm guessing 'Live and Let Live' must have originated there in those Stills sessions....nothing to do with the 'Sending My Love To Linda' song from the nest year(70)
    unless the tracks are mislabeled on some compilations.
    ---
    It's mentioned for Sept 30th 69....same sessions for Woodstock & Live and Let Live(which was named by A.Douglas)...'One more day/$20 Fine' is said to come from these sessions also...take 3 was marked as the master.
    source:Ultimate Hendrix Sept 30 '69 entry

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The Band of Gypsys instrumental version of Send My Love to Linda has the riff from Woodstock/Live and Let Live

31. The Following User Says Thank You to karsten For This Useful Post: