Thread: Complete Monterey Pop 4K Blu Ray December 2017 Release

Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 371 Posts

Complete Monterey Pop 4K Blu Ray December 2017 Release

Perhaps they should have titled this the "Slightly More Complete Monterey Pop"

A re release of the 2009 Complete Monterey now in 4K.

What does this have that the 2009 release did not?:

1. Additional Outtakes not in the 2009 release (some of these have already been on you tube in one form or another)
    a. Grateful Dead Viola Lee Blues 8:23 (complete Audio is over 14 Min from the boots). This is really a good edit though and great sound. Finally they are on an official Monterey release... (BTW Cold Rain and Snow is also on the Iconic Performances From The Monterey Pop Festival audio CD release from this past summer too)

b.Moby Grape Hey Grandma

c. Steve Miller Blues Band Mercury Blues and Super Shuffle (both are partial and not complete)

2. Some additional interviews and other bonus features

Lastly this is a great way to get a high quality copy of the Jimi Plays Monterey Douglas version of the film. For those of you that long to see the old Douglas Jimi Plays Monterey edit in Blu Ray instead of the EH edit this set is reasonably priced and you also get the most complete package of the Monterey Pop film and outtakes released to date as well.
    Last edited by Experiencereunited; 01-18-18 at 05:50 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Complete Monterey Pop 4K Blu Ray December 2017 Release

Is there a difference between eh and other versions? I am of the thought that there is only whatever Pennebaker produced.

Thanks

I do like those single camera outtakes though!

Thanks

The EH edit of the main Jimi Plays Monterey film is definately different than the Douglas
    Edit. I think both are essential. If you only can have one the EH version is the go to version precisely because of all the raw camera feed bonus footage. The Douglas edit is also the only official place to get the XMas on Earth footage. The Chelmsford footage is also to the EH version Underscoring even more why both versions are essential.
    Last edited by Experiencereunited; 02-09-18 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,640 Times in 794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    The EH edit of the main film is definately different than the Douglas
    Edit. I think both are essential. If you only can have one the EH version is the go to version precisely because of all the raw camera feed bonus footage. The Douglas edit is also the only official place to get the XMas on Earth footage.
    All of those early videos are different edits than what EH produced later.....Monterey, Woodstock, Atlanta and Isle of Wight...they all were originally released as 1 hour videos(I think Atlanta may have been a EU release only at the time)...they all retained there 1 hour running time when they eventually came out on DVD.
    --
    The directors cut of Woodstock has footage of 'Voodoo Child' not seen in any other version(tho' it segues into the SSB)
    the 40th Anniversary Woodstock Collection has a total and complete different edit of 'Spanish castle Magic' on a bonus disc.
    A Film About Jimi Hendrix has footage from Berkeley of Hendrix in the limousine on the way to the concert(smokin' a joint) not seen in the other Berkeley releases(you want the UK full screen release of this because the EH US wide screen release is cut top and bottom to give you the theatrical release look).
    kind of how EH butchered the Miami footage by cutting the top and bottom off(I'm waiting for the re-release of this in full screen).
    even Douglas' edit of Foxy Lady from Maui('Scuse Me While I Kiss The Sky 2 DVD set, Johnny B Goode EP Sony video) is a different edit then the one in Rainbow Bridge(no Pat Harley in it)
    Mike Parker's 'Hendrix in Maui DVD has all the available out takes and has the single camera footage of Dolly dagger and Villanova Junction not seen any where else.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    All of those early videos are different edits than what EH produced later.....Monterey, Woodstock, Atlanta and Isle of Wight...they all were originally released as 1 hour videos(I think Atlanta may have been a EU release only at the time)...they all retained there 1 hour running time when they eventually came out on DVD.
    Douglas Atlanta was released in the EU and Japan. It did not see a North America release.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    --
    The directors cut of Woodstock has footage of 'Voodoo Child' not seen in any other version(tho' it segues into the SSB)
    the 40th Anniversary Woodstock Collection has a total and complete different edit of 'Spanish castle Magic' on a bonus disc.
    A Film About Jimi Hendrix has footage from Berkeley of Hendrix in the limousine on the way to the concert(smokin' a joint) not seen in the other Berkeley releases(you want the UK full screen release of this because the EH US wide screen release is cut top and bottom to give you the theatrical release look).
    kind of how EH butchered the Miami footage by cutting the top and bottom off(I'm waiting for the re-release of this in full screen).
    even Douglas' edit of Foxy Lady from Maui('Scuse Me While I Kiss The Sky 2 DVD set, Johnny B Goode EP Sony video) is a different edit then the one in Rainbow Bridge(no Pat Harley in it)
    Mike Parker's 'Hendrix in Maui DVD has all the available out takes and has the single camera footage of Dolly dagger and Villanova Junction not seen any where else.

Thanks I ddnt realize there was a
    Full Screen Digital Version of A Film About Jimi Hendrix. I find the US release almost unwatchable because of the cropping despite the extra Stone Free and bonus interviews.

I would correct you on Mike Parker Maui version though. That version incorporates rhe single camera fottage into areas where the official release footage Exists and is a completely new edit using both the camera outakes and official material. The raw camera outtake is available without any of the official relaese angles edited in like the the Mike Parker version has. The Mike Parker version is great though and is the best we have of Maui (at least right now) imo

Thanks

I have the 2005 version and it has always pissed me off only the cropped version is axailable on it Would llike to get the full screen version so maybe Ill seek out Euro version
    Last edited by Experiencereunited; 02-11-18 at 01:44 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 210 Posts

Unhappy Re: Complete Monterey Pop 4K Blu Ray December 2017 Release

I have the 2005 version and it has always pissed me off only the cropped version is axailable on it Would llike to get the full screen version so maybe Ill seek out Euro version
    You really should! It's fabulous, and quite cheap if you order from Amazon.co.uk. I have the Bluray version.

Oops I thought you meant the Monterey 4k 2017 set (it made my Criterion set on DVD from a few years ago obsolete

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kees1954 View Post
    You really should! It's fabulous, and quite cheap if you order from Amazon.co.uk. I have the Bluray version.

Oops I thought you meant the Monterey 4k 2017 set (it made my Criterion set on DVD from a few years ago obsolete

Yes we got off topic a bit and starting talking about A film about Jimi Hendrix. Agree the new Monterey Pop 2017
    4K Blu Ray is pretty cool. Best
    version yet of the Monterey film and as a bonus you get the Douglas Jimi Plays Momterey on Blu Ray along with extra outtakes never before released as described in first
    Post and other bonuses. Great sound on the main Monterey film too with the original stereo mix, a new stereo mix and a DTS 5.1 mix.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Douglas Atlanta was released in the EU and Japan. It did not see a North America release.
    It was available here in the USA on Laserdisc. I had a copy of it for years along with Woodstock.

Thanks

If u had a US Laserdisc pressing of Jimi at Atlanta I would love to see it. I have never seen one back in the day or in current times. Are you sure you didnt have the Japanese pressing? The japanese pressing would work fine on US machines. Laserdisc database also only lists Europe and Japanes pressings as having been relesed. However, there are new rare pressings that still seem to get added from time to time.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,640 Times in 794 Posts

If u had a US Laserdisc pressing of Jimi at Atlanta I would love to see it. I have never seen one back in the day or in current times. Are you sure you didnt have the Japanese pressing? The japanese pressing would work fine on US machines. Laserdisc database also only lists Europe and Japanes pressings as having been relesed. However, there are new rare pressings that still seem to get added from time to time.
    That would be easy to tell the difference...the US won't have the Japanese subtitles at the beginning when Jimi comes out, nor will it be 'blocked' out on the naked people in the beginning....this is how it is on the US video tape.

Thanks

Let me clear up the confusion. The only thing I tried to say is that it was available here in the USA. I never said that I had a version pressed here in the states? Yes it was indeed the Japanese release. Ken Crane's Laserdisc superstore had them available. I think it took less than a week to receive it in store.