Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously...what else is left??

Thanks

Lightbulb Seriously...what else is left??

I didn't know whether to post this here or in the general thread, but seeing as it is geared towards potential new releases I thought here was appropriate.

Having listened to BSOTS a fair few times now I feel I can pass my own judgement on this latest 'product'....suffice to say I feel totally underwhelmed. It is generally great to get new 'stuff', but a series of composites and filler tracks with no particular rhyme nor reason to them other than to fill around 60 minutes has left me cold in all honesty. It's not a great release and of that I won't be swayed, that is my short hand answer.

So...age old question, one that we all ask ourselves and of each other periodically, but it's a GOOD question (and one that i'd dearly love to ask Eddie Kramer!):

What else is left??

Forget the studio mining as it's pretty much totally exhausted (unless the original multi-track reels for the amazing Astro Man jam have not been destroyed as is believed).

Eddie Kramer himself admits that is now the case and makes a broad statement in a recent interview (thread here: http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...things-to-come) regarding "amazing live performances. Plus the footage for some of them on wonderful 16mm film that was shot in sync".

Purely from a visual perspective I can obviously guess 2: Maui and RAH in tandem with the European Tour Footage.

I do firmly believe that we will eventually see RAH plus bonus but who's to say when that will be. Maui is slated for release by all accounts.

But what else is there after that??

Village Gate?
    Cal Expo?

Have I missed anything?? Your combined thoughts / gut instincts would be hugely appreciated!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to globalglen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sunrise For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Seriously...what else is left??

Thank you for those, very informative. I didn't want to write off any further studio releases, but due to the hotch potch nature of the latter ones (mainly the latest one) I just think it might be in some ways best to steer clear if that is the best we expect to find. I do have the Ultimate Hendrix book although it has been a while since I have read it, but it does point the way to some seemingly remarkable and desired studio work, some of which I did recall and some I did not having looked at the lists.

It is highly frustrating when we have various boot stuff that is in very good sonic quality but still has not been officially released in pristine quality, of that I admit there is still a helluva lot. So for EK to state the studio stuff is all but gone is a bit of a downer when quite clearly there could possibly even be a couple of box sets worth of material to release, some of which better than what has been drip fed out over the last 5 years or so!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 380 Posts

the amazing Astro Man jam have not been destroyed as is believed).

What is the source that the master is destroyed? That jam is one of my faborites

Thanks

Having watched/listened to/read the last several rounds of Eddie and McDermott interviews for this and the previous releases I'm struck by how much they stay on the same page. Their responses are as guarded as they are informative. Regarding any further 'new' studio stuff they're only leaving the door open a tiny crack while promoting the idea of future live audio and video releases. So I think they have a shared strategy regarding the commercial release of Hendrix material and that in their analysis it wouldn't be profitable financially or smart artistically to release dozens of studio jams or instrumental tryouts of developing song ideas. There is presumably more money to be made and stronger material to be released to the public in the form of polished and edited live performances which will unlike studio tryouts will feature the searing leads and familiar vocals of Jimi. Then...when the live performance barrel is fully empty they MAY revisit the studio tapes IF there appears to be significant demand in the marketplace. That's my best guess. That would mean only years from now after multiple release cycles w/their related publicity drives would we possibly see another disc of studio joints. I would prefer them to take a position more in keeping with the times and create an online resource featuring all of the studio tapes available for streaming or hi quality download. They would get a LOT more money from me personally w/that model than they will by selling me one cd every two to five years...

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am sorry I do not recall the source that stated the Astro Man jam had been wiped, but I have seen it mentioned on message boards in the past that it was either destroyed accidentally or damaged to the point of being unusable, whether either is true is only something the powers that be could answer. Here's hoping that it's eventually gonna make it to an official release!

Regarding release strategy, yeah that makes sense, highly frustrating but makes sense. And yes the online streaming / hi quality download platform is both a modern way forward and something that we could all get behind, certainly with much more confidence that we were being treated with some degree of respect and empathy.

Thanks

Just a quick thought on live audio releases that maybe we would expect to see via EH / Sony:

Paris '67
    Paris '68
    LA forum '69
    San Diego '69
    Randall's Island '70 (maybe)
    Maui '70

Thanks

Hendrix then tore into a stunning medley that lasted – without pause – nearly twenty-six minutes. He began with a slow, blistering, seven-minute rendition of Beginnings, with Mitchell and Cox swinging tightly behind him. This evolved into an up-tempo Hey Baby (Land Of The New Rising Sun), which boasted several thrilling moments. Hendrix then downshifted, cruising into a spirited jam that evolved as Keep On Movin´, a spontaneous hybrid of Straight Ahead and Midnight Lightning. A furious instrumental take of Freedom followed next, carried to a close with a rousing flourish. Kramer´s entusiasm came immediately over the talkback, and applause from guests seated in the control room was audible. Hendrix seemed genuiely surprised by the reaction, and called for the band to come in and listen to what remains today, more than thirty-five years later, a fascinating document of his magnificent talent.

NOW, WHY HASN´T THIS BEEN RELEASED??

Have we got any of this?

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ranasakawa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by globalglen View Post
    Just a quick thought on live audio releases that maybe we would expect to see via EH / Sony:

Paris '67
    Paris '68
    LA forum '69
    San Diego '69
    Randall's Island '70 (maybe)
    Maui '70
    Paris 67 & 68 are both out on Dagger Records.

Thanks

Black Gold. That’s really all I have ever cared about. As much as it’s cool to have some of those live shows remastered, the fact of the matter is I’ve heard them. But we’ve never heard Black Gold, which actually has some completely new songs never heard before.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uncle carmi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Red face Re: Seriously...what else is left??

Sorry I totally forgot about both Paris shows being out on Dagger, I wrote my reply 2 mins after waking up :-)

Thanks

Berkeley 1st show. I want it in perfect quality!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purplehazechild For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunrise View Post

Next comes what is probably my holy grail of the unheard studio recordings: (still June 24)

Hendrix then tore into a stunning medley that lasted – without pause – nearly twenty-six minutes. He began with a slow, blistering, seven-minute rendition of Beginnings, with Mitchell and Cox swinging tightly behind him. This evolved into an up-tempo Hey Baby (Land Of The New Rising Sun), which boasted several thrilling moments. Hendrix then downshifted, cruising into a spirited jam that evolved as Keep On Movin´, a spontaneous hybrid of Straight Ahead and Midnight Lightning. A furious instrumental take of Freedom followed next, carried to a close with a rousing flourish. Kramer´s entusiasm came immediately over the talkback, and applause from guests seated in the control room was audible. Hendrix seemed genuiely surprised by the reaction, and called for the band to come in and listen to what remains today, more than thirty-five years later, a fascinating document of his magnificent talent.

NOW, WHY HASN´T THIS BEEN RELEASED??
    They should release this as a Dagger release for Record Store Day!!!

Thanks

As far as Live material goes.

I would like to see some more multitracks of the BOG concerts. Hell, a nice box set with the DVD would get my money.

Newport POP 69 soundboards on Dagger would be nice.

The original first three albums remastered with out clipping and with outtakes, alternate versions like we were promised years ago, instead we got 15 minute DVD's.

The Dagger stuff could literally go on for years with studio recordings and live tapes, like they did with Fehman, Oakland, Cologne, not the greatest sounding like Ottawa, Paris 67/68 or Clarks, but people still bought them.

So Yes EH has a lot of material they can sell us as far as I am concerned, lets just hope they do before we are deaf, dead or just not interested anymore.

EH has been in control for 20, 21 years now and there is only what 13 Dagger releases, They should put one out every year, if not twice. How about every year around his birthday, a Dagger release, early enough to have for Christmas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purplehazechild View Post
    Berkeley 1st show. I want it in perfect quality!
    Same here for me. The Jeffrey released CD set come close but to my ears it isn't as quiet and stereophonic as what EH may be sitting on. The second show released on CD and Blu-ray have great sound.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,617 Times in 2,464 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by king guitar View Post
    Paris 67 & 68 are both out on Dagger Records.

Correction, Paris 67 is totally butchered on Dagger- for no good reason. It cries out for a complete release. Paris 66 likewise.

Berkeley 1st show

Sharpstat: "The Jeffrey released CD set"! What the?

Thanks

I feel that a compilation of the likes of Hamburg '67, Vitus Studio's '67 and Stockholm '67 (to name but 3) would make a great 'European Broadcasts' album, lots of the same tracks admittedly but then again so did the BBC compilation. Likely this won't happen but methinks it would make a great collection in pristine remastered sound quality.

Stockholm '69 would also be a welcome addition as a release in its own right, although i'd only expect the second show to be given serious consideration.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to globalglen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

[QUOTE=globalglen;126145]I feel that a compilation of the likes of Hamburg '67, Vitus Studio's '67 and Stockholm '67 (to name but 3) would make a great 'European Broadcasts' album, lots of the same tracks admittedly but then again so did the BBC compilation. Likely this won't happen but methinks it would make a great collection in pristine remastered sound quality.
    To much like common sense. I think they will be only interested initially with live releases to include filmed performances. E.G. Maui, and dare I say it, Albert Hall

Thanks

You are probably right. The Elvis Presley Estate put out multiple releases every year, though admittedly the stash of quality soundboards they have is far greater than what the Hendrix Estate possesses. The Doors Estate have pretty much released everything they hold now and not drip fed it out over decades - which looks very much like what is gonna happen...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by globalglen View Post
    Forget the studio mining as it's pretty much totally exhausted...
    Sigh. The studio well is nowhere near exhausted. Regardless of how many times Kramer says so this is simply not the case. The recent posthumous releases are not representive of what we know exists....thieir patchy nature is largely down to poor track selection and, to a lesser degree, mixing/editing, than a lack of inspired unreleased material at their disposal.

Off the top of my head while stuck in traffic...here is a dozen tracks still unreleased....

Little Miss Lover (scrapped 45 version)
    -finished early version, totally diff performance, mentioned in press as possible 45)

Little Wing (take 2)
    -heard in part underneath Kramer interview. unreal solo.

Bold As Love (early version)
    -one of Jimi's most passionate vocals ever, even more soulful than LP., no phasing at end.

Tax Free (NYC version)
    -4/68 Record Plant, uncirculated, incredible

Go Your Own Way (unheard song)
    -totally unheard Jimi original from 2/69 Olympic. Several solo versions and full band JHE workout.

Burning Desire (multi-track solo demo)
    -Jimi on all instruments, inc guitar and vocal overdubs

Night Bird Flying (BOG version)
    -10/69 Juggy. Entire session exists, does not circulate)

Look Over Yonder (11/69 BOG)
    -not a jam but a dedicated attempt at rec a finished master)

Hey Baby (2/70 with Buddy on drums)

Hey Baby (5/70 Record Plant)
    -versions re on 15th and 16th,

26 minute First Rays medley
    -make that 4 totally unheard live in the studio versions of Hey Baby. McDermott praises all of them.

This Little Boy (home recording)
    -unheard original, not part of Black Gol

Bonus: the finished backing track for an unheard JHE original recorded during the Axis sessions.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris M For This Useful Post: