Thread: Pickup position used for Hear My Train a Comin' off of Blues?

Thanks

Pickup position used for Hear My Train a Comin' off of Blues?

Does anyone know for certain what pickup position Hendrix used for Hear My Train a Comin' off of Hendrix Blues album? To me it sounds like middle, but I'd like to hear opinions from others.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,592 Times in 778 Posts

Re: Pickup position used for Hear My Train a Comin' off of Blues?

Quote Originally Posted by jm50 View Post
    Does anyone know for certain what pickup position Hendrix used for Hear My Train a Comin' off of Hendrix Blues album? To me it sounds like middle, but I'd like to hear opinions from others.
    That's the Berkeley version....just watch the bluray....it appears he's using the bridge during the intro...and you can clearly see him turn the volume up and flip the switch to the neck position at the very start of tthe solo....this corresponds with the Blues tab book.
    --
    there's been speculation(I've not been able to prove it myself) as to how his pick ups work in the reverse order(Hendrix used standard strats)
    some people claim that the reverse use makes the high end string have less treble and boost the low end strings...which could be the reason why it sounds like the middle pickup....personally from all my viewing of Hendrix videos, I believe he just either was using bridge or neck...playing live that would be the fastest and easiest to do....and would make the largest differences.
    --
    there's also some that say Hendrix would sometimes use the in between position, but because the '68 strats only had a 3 way switch(the 5 way switch appeared in '77) this would be difficult to find and the way he played it would slip out of that position(he may have used it in the studio).
    Little Wing Axis: Bold As Love LP seems to be a good contender for the in between neck and middle position(that's what I use)...
    the 'out of phase' position is mention in the Bold As Love tab book(full band score)..the Aledort video of Little Wing shows him using this position as well.
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:30 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Pickup position used for Hear My Train a Comin' off of Blues?

Thanks. I guessed middle as it doesn't sound quite as bright as most bridge pickups I've heard, but the idea that *his* bridge pup sound would have a bit of high end rolled off due to orientation makes sense.