Thread: Electric Ladyland discusion...

Thanks

Electric Ladyland discusion...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Electric Ladyland discusion...

When they talk about some of the negative reviews that ELL received, it just reminds me how much I despised any critic who disrespected Jimi while he was alive. I never forgave Robert Hilburn of the Los Angeles Times, for instance and still hate him with a passion. (He's back in the news with a book about Paul Simon.) Fuck Hilburn til the day he dies.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,604 Times in 2,463 Posts

Esquire (‘January 1968’ ie late 67)
    Robert Christgau (written 1967):
    .....Hendrix is a Negro from Seattle who was brought from Greenwich Village to England by ex-Animal Chas Chandler in January. It was a smart move. England, like all of Europe, thirsts for the Real Thing, as performers from Howlin' Wolf to Muhammad Ali have discovered. Hendrix picked up two good English sidemen and crashed the scene. He came to Monterey recommended by the likes of Paul McCartney. He was terrible. Hendrix is a psychedelic Uncle Tom. Don't believe me, believe Sam Silver of The East Village Other: "Jimi did a beautiful Spade routine." Hendrix earned that capital S. Dressed in English fop mod, with a ruffled orange shirt and red pants that outlined his crotch to the thirtieth row, Jimi really, as Silver phrased it, "socked it to them." Grunting and groaning on the brink of sham orgasm, he made his way through five or six almost indistinguishable songs, occasionally flicking an anteater tongue at that great crotch in the sky. He also played what everybody seems to call "heavy" guitar; in this case, that means he was loud. He was loud with his teeth and behind his back and between his legs, and in case anyone still remembered The Who, Hendrix had a capper. With his back to the audience, Hendrix humped the amplifier and jacked the guitar around his midsection, then turned and sat astride his instrument so that its neck extended like a third leg. For a few tender moments he caressed the strings. Then, in a sacrifice that couldn't have satisfied him more than it did me, he squirted it with lighter fluid from a can held near his crotch and set the cursed thing afire. The audience scrambled for the chunks he tossed into the front rows. He had tailored a caricature to their mythic standards and apparently didn't even overdo it a shade. The destructiveness of The Who is consistent theater, deriving directly from the group's defiant, lower-class stance. I suppose Hendrix's act can be seen as a consistently vulgar parody of rock theatrics, but I don't feel I have to like it. Anyhow, he can't sing.

“psychedelic Uncle Tom”? Anyone got a copy of the Silver article?:

[Date?] 1967
    USA (NYC, NY)
    EAST VILLAGE OTHER (page ?) [18 June Monterey review] [title?] by Sam Silver: “[...] Jimi did a beautiful Spade routine [...] socked it to them […]” [rest of text?]
    Last edited by stplsd; 05-14-18 at 02:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 912 Posts

And this has what to do with Electric Ladyland, anyone?

Last edited by Fenders Fingers; 05-16-18 at 03:40 AM.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan