Thread: Star Spangled Banner Studio Version

Thanks

Star Spangled Banner Studio Version

Just played SSB from Rainbow Bridge at a 4th of July party. I think most people are still unaware of the studio version. People certainly liked it and inquired who it was! Got me wondering, how much is known about this version? Exactly when and where was it recorded? What fx are used? Octavia? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,612 Times in 785 Posts

Re: Star Spangled Banner Studio Version

4th of July party?...you didn't play Hendrix Atlanta July 4th 1970?
    ---
    Yeah...there is some info about the studio version
    (I loved it the first I heard it back in '72)
    The RB CD gatefold states
    Record Plant. New York
    March 18th 1969
    (Gypsy Boy was recorded on this date also)
    Jimi - guitars
    --
    According to what I've read....the story is...this was the 1st time Jimi had
    access to 16 tracks(the Record Plant just upgraded to an AMPEX 16 track)...it was Jimi's 1st 16 track recording session..
    just him experimenting to see what he could do
    with 16 blank tracks...Jimi never revisited it but Kramer later re-mixed it for RB...
    Kramer(2000 purple box booklet) stated he was intrigued by the way Jimi mad his guitar sound like a synth.
    It was 1st officially released on the Rainbow Bridge LP('71) and later it's
    1st official release on CD was on the 2000 'Purple Box' 4 cd set.
    --
    there is an alternate mix with less guitars and no fade out at the end on
    'Electric Church' boot disc 1 track 7
    --
    It also has a release(with voice over) on the A.Douglas
    'Lifelines: The Jimi Hendrix story
    Live and Unreleased: the radio program
    --
    There also was a post or thread here on CTT about the synthesizers

a group called 'Silver Apples' claim they jammed with Jimi and recorded
    http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...ix-Contact-OOP
    the SSB with him using their synth used on the studio SSB was them and it even appeared
    as a 'hidden bonus' track on their LP called 'Selections'
    I posted the Youtube link to it playing on a turntable but I see it's been blocked for copyrite infringement..
    as far as I remember it was the same mix from RB LP. This LP appeared in 2008 and it's simply listed as 'Anthem'
    https://www.discogs.com/Silver-Apple...elease/1381530
    ..post 3 in the below thread....there seems to be some question as to validate the Silver Apples claim.
    http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...ht=synthesizer
    --
    so bottom line I believe there is the original and one alternate mix..
    --
    most famous version in a 4 view from the 4 different video sources
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 1 Week Ago at 11:31 AM.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 358 Posts

Thanks for my owninfo/curiosity what are the 4 sources u used?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    Thanks for my owninfo/curiosity what are the 4 sources u used?
    I listed them at the very end of the video
    upper left(full screen version 'A Film About Jimi Hendrix)
    this version can be found on the UK version the US has a wide screen cropped version)
    I originally only had that version(except I have an original VHS version that is full screen)
    upper right EH Live at Woodstock DVD(this is the original 60mt.DVD)I believe this is the DVD version of the VHS Douglas Woodstock video)
    lower left EH Definitive version DVD(yep they have different angles from their previous DVD release)
    lower right from the director's cut of 'Woodstock'(for unknown reasons they have black borders all around)
    --
    the director's cut also has some differences in the 'Voodoo Child' video tho' it's not complete
    and I believe I remember some more small differences in the PH/VJ part
    --
    there is also a completely different edit of SCM(complete) that came on a bonus DVD with the 40th Anniversary Woodstock
    --
    there is also viewing area differences between the DVD and Bluray version
    the Bluray shows more left and right area of the stage..
    when Jimi takes a break during Mitch' solo in 'Jam Back at The House' you can see Jimi sipping a drink
    and getting the cigarette(he later appears with) from a roadie...on the left side...this is not visible in the DVD version.
    he eventually hands the cigarette to a girl that passes it around(seen in the B/W footage(definitive edition)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks I didnt realize that about the EH DVD and Blu Ray even though I have both LOL. I will say unlike most other Jimi Blu Rays I find the EH Jimi plays Woodstock to be far better than the DVD
    Sound and picture. Although th BW fooage is worse on the Blu Ray than the DVD so not 100% better.

Are there any difference in camera edits between the 92 Douglas release and the EH release (94 or 99 cant remember but the one EH release they did before the current release with
    The extra BW film). I remember reading somewhere they were slightly different but I have never compared myself.

Thanks

I only have the Douglas release and the latest EH release so I currently cannot compare the first EH release to the Douglas release.

The alternate footage of Spanish Caste on the latest Woodstock Anniversary Blu Ray is very cool btw. As is the longer edit of Jimi compared to the original Theatrical version.

Thanks

Although th BW fooage is worse on the Blu Ray than the DVD so not 100% better..
    How so?....
    it's VHS to DVD quality just like the Definitive version...maybe if your watching Bluray quality and switch to the B/W it may appear that way
    I know some people say that the B/W footage on the newer band of Gypsies DVD is of poorer quality than the earlier release
    but I never compared that...I can't see that tho'...they must have transferred the original B/W tape to digital in the 1st place...and digital doesn't degrade(unless thru compression)
    Are there any difference in camera edits between the 92 Douglas release and the EH release (94 or 99 cant remember but the one EH release they did before the current release with The extra BW film). I remember reading somewhere they were slightly different but I have never compared myself.
    Well yeah...considering the original Douglas edit is only 60mts and the definitive edition is 2 hours or more(not including the 2 DVD)...if you are asking about the difference between the '90's VHS and the 2000 DVD release(they are both 60mts)....no...I never saw any apparent difference except quality.

Thanks

I only have the Douglas release and the latest EH release so I currently cannot compare the first EH release to the Douglas release.
    The very 1st Woodstock DVD released by EH after they obtained control was the Douglas edit.....just transferred to DVD
    when they did the re-edit for the 'definitive' DVD they started to use different angles....those angles are the same as on the Bluray version.

Thanks

For whatever reason at least on my setup I almost invariably find BW footage looks better on DVD verse Blu Ray. This is very evident on Jimi plays Woodstock and also the BW footage of both the Stockholm's look beautiful on the "Experience" DVD. I think if you look around the internet others have noticed this phenomenon concerning BW as well. Maybe I can tweak the Blu Ray so I find BW footage acceptable. I'll have to compare them again to see exactly why I don't like the Blu Ray BW footage.

Thanks

Are you sure? Did you do an actual comparison to see if their first release was the same as the Douglas edit. The first EH release was also released on VHS and Laserdisc not just DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    The very 1st Woodstock DVD released by EH after they obtained control was the Douglas edit.....just transferred to DVD
    when they did the re-edit for the 'definitive' DVD they started to use different angles....those angles are the same as on the Bluray version.

Thanks

Are you sure? Did you do an actual comparison to see if their first release was the same as the Douglas edit. The first EH release was also released on VHS and Laserdisc not just DVD.
    Yes...not microscopically...but yeah both 57mts....have the same covers(Jimi leaning over his guitar to hear the tuning)
    Why would they be different? when DVD's first started to become popular many were just the VHS versions transferred to DVD format.

It was the Definitive version that had almost the full performance
    as far as I know of the Woodstock releases
    1st came the VHS
    2nd came the same edit but on DVD
    3rd came the 2 DVD Definitive
    4th came the Bluray of the Definitive
    --
    unless I'm missing a version...

Thanks

That is what I thought for a long time too and you still may be right but the 92 Douglas release does have a different cover than 94/99 releases by EH that both have the same cover. That doesn't mean they are different in content I just thought I read somewhere they were at a minimum different mixes and possibly different camera edits as well.

Thanks

That is what I thought for a long time too and you still may be right but the 92 Douglas release does have a different cover than 94/99 releases by EH that both have the same cover. That doesn't mean they are different in content I just thought I read somewhere they were at a minimum different mixes and possibly different camera edits as well.
    Maybe ...I'm sure the end credits were changed to remove Dougls's name and insert MCA/EH as producers
    --
    the worst DVD cover change 'offender' I ever saw with a Hendrix 'product' was the 'The Complete Story'....and 'By Those Who Knew Him Best'....non EH related.
    I remember reading some Amazon reviews on those DVDs....people were 'pissed' that they got ripped off for buying the exact same product they already had..
    --
    check this one out...
    says MCA
    has 'Hear My Train Comin' in the video section
    https://www.discogs.com/Jimi-Hendrix...elease/3221517