Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Electric Ladyland’ Gets Massive Reissue for 50th Anniversary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 312 Posts

Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Electric Ladyland’ Gets Massive Reissue for 50th Anniversary

HOME
    MUSIC
    MUSIC NEWS
    SEPTEMBER 13, 2018 7:00AM ET
    Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Electric Ladyland’ Gets Massive Reissue for 50th Anniversary
    Deluxe box set will feature, demos, outtakes, live recordings and a documentary
    By KORY GROW
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...eissue-720782/

Half a century ago, when Jimi Hendrix began work on what would become his the final album to come out in his lifetime, Electric Ladyland, he was finding inspiration everywhere. “Jimi was very much in the realm of experimentation,” says one of the album’s recording engineers, Eddie Kramer. Kramer is seated in the control room of Electric Lady Studios, the New York studio Hendrix opened shortly before his death in 1970. “When I first started working with him, [Hendrix manager] Chas Chandler told me, ‘The rules are, “There are no rules.’ We could just kick down the doors to convention and experiment with wild things and Jimi’s sound.”

The results of their experimentation are all over Electric Ladyland, from an otherworldly phasing sound effect (“We were all freaked out by it,” Kramer recalls) to the different combos of musicians he brought in to jam with, such as members of Traffic and the Rolling Stones’ Brian Jones. A new, expanded box set release due out this fall will provide a 360-degree view of how it all came together. The Electric Ladyland deluxe edition will include the original album remastered, high-res audio, a 5.1 surround sound mix by Kramer, a disc of demos and outtakes and a live recording from about a month before its release along with a documentary about its creation.

The package, which comes out November 9th, will be available either as a three-CD and one Blu-ray set or a six-LP and one Blu-ray set. Famed engineer Bernie Grundman remastered the album from the original analog tapes and carried out an all-analog, direct-to-disc transfer for the vinyl edition. In addition to the documentary, titled At Last … the Beginning: The Making of Electric Ladyland, the Blu-rays contain the 5.1 surround sound mix and the original stereo mixes in 24-bit, 96 kHz sound. A pared-down version will be available on streaming services.
    “The whole idea with the 5.1 mix was, ‘What would Jimi have done?'” Kramer explains. “I had this joystick, which was a 5.1 panning device, [and] I would listen to the original stereo mix and go, ‘OK, I did that in the stereo.’ Now in the 5.1, I’m going to zip it from left to right, center to back and zoom it all around.’ If Jimi had lived, he would have been so excited to hear that buzzing around his head. He would have said, ‘Yeah, man, do that. Move that sound around.'”

Although he worked hard to keep it true to the original mix he made with Hendrix, listeners will hear new things in the mix, according to the engineer. “There’s so much more clarity and so much more depth,” Kramer says. “You really can understand and hear a lot more detail of the underlying instruments, the rhythm guitars that Jimi put in, the subtle things that were going on with the background vocals, the percussion. It’s just in your face. You feel like you’re in the room with the band.”

The volume of outtakes, Electric Ladyland: The Early Takes, contains audio pulled from reel-to-reel tapes Hendrix recorded himself on his personal Teac machine in March 1968 while staying at Manhattan’s Drake Hotel. These include early versions of “Voodoo Chile” and “Gypsy Eyes” as well as two songs that didn’t make the Ladyland track list – “Angel” and “My Friend”– and an early version of “… And the Gods Made Love” titled “At Last … the Beginning.” “He did these incredibly quietly,” Kramer says with a laugh. “You can hear the atmosphere of the hotel room. He’s almost whispering. Why? He doesn’t want to wake up the neighbors. He’d go, ‘Here’s “Electric Ladyland”‘ and he’d whisper, ‘Have you ever been? … ‘ It’s so warm and so intimate, and all of a sudden you hear a phone ringing and that’s the front desk calling and you can just hear in his voice he’s getting really pissed off. It’s great.”

The collection also features sessions Hendrix cut at New York’s Sound Center and Record Plant studios, including previously unreleased takes of “Angel Caterina” and “Little Miss Strange,” which feature Stephen Stills and Hendrix’s Band of Gypsys bandmate Buddy Miles, and a version of “Long Hot Summer,” which features Hendrix playing with drummer Mitch Mitchell and pianist Al Kooper. “We go from the raw demo, maybe a tape or two from the raw master and then maybe the master itself so you can get the arc of the whole song,” Kramer explains.

The live disc, Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live at the Hollywood Bowl 9/14/68, features a recently discovered two-track soundboard recording of a Los Angeles gig where the trio played music from all three of its albums as well as a cover of Cream’s “Sunshine of Your Love.” “He was very concerned about the audience at that concert,” Kramer says of the tape. “In those days, there was a pond in front of the stage. And the crowd of course was going completely nuts and they started jumping into the pool to get closer to Jimi. And he would say, ‘No, no, no.’ He was scared. Anything water- and electricity-wise wouldn’t go down too well. He was saying to the kids, ‘Stay out of the pool, please.'” Kramer laughs. “You can imagine the chaos. It’s 1968 and it’s chaos at the Hollywood Bowl. It’s hilarious.”

He adds that the melee didn’t affect the performances at all. “Noooo,” he says dramatically. “It was raucous. Jimi was having a blast.”
    The documentary traces the album’s genesis with interview footage of bassist Noel Redding, Mitchell, manager Chas Chadler, Miles, Winwood, Traffic’s Dave Mason and others. Kramer also explains the recording techniques Hendrix, Mitchell and Redding used while making it using the original multi-tracks.

The collection’s cover features Hendrix’s original planned cover – a photograph that Linda Eastman had taken of the band with children posing at the Alice in Wonderland statue in New York’s Central Park. The U.K. label had replaced it with an image that Hendrix hated, one of a group of naked women, while the U.S. label opted for a red and orange live shot. The accompanying 48-page book includes essays by Rolling Stone’s David Fricke and producer John McDermott along with photos Kramer took during the recording of the album, Hendrix’s handwritten lyrics and notes to his record label and memos from the label, Warner Bros.

The streaming version of the release will not feature either The Early Takes or Live at the Hollywood Bowl. Instead, it will feature the original album with tracks recorded during the sessions that appeared on Hendrix’s posthumous albums.

Electric Ladyland Deluxe Edition Track List

Disc One: The original album

Disc Two: Electric Ladyland: The Early Takes
    1. “1983 … (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)”
    2. “Voodoo Chile”
    3. “Cherokee Mist”
    4. “Hear My Train a Comin'”
    5. “Angel”
    6. “Gypsy Eyes”
    7. “Somewhere”
    8. “Long Hot Summer Night” (Demo 1)
    9. “Long Hot Summer Night” (Demo 3)
    10. “Long Hot Summer Night” (Demo 4)
    11. “Snowballs at My Window”
    12. “My Friend”
    13. “At Last … the Beginning”
    13. “Angel Caterina (1983)”
    15. “Little Miss Strange”
    16. “Long Hot Summer Night” (Take 1)
    17. “Long Hot Summer Night” (Take 14)
    18. “Rainy Day, Dream Away”
    19. “Rainy Day Shuffle”
    20. “1983 … (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)”

Disc Three: Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At The Hollywood Bowl 9/14/68
    1. Introduction
    2. “Are You Experienced”
    3. “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)”
    4. “Red House”
    5. “Foxey Lady”
    6. “Fire”
    7. “Hey Joe”
    8. “Sunshine of Your Love”
    9. “I Won’t Live Today”
    10. “Little Wing”
    11. “Star Spangled Banner”
    12. “Purple Haze”

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 212 Posts

Re: Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Electric Ladyland’ Gets Massive Reissue for 50th Anniversary

Looks supergood!!!!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 312 Posts

Re: Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Electric Ladyland’ Gets Massive Reissue for 50th Anniversary

From the official JH site: http://www.jimihendrix.com/news/the-...-november-9th/

The Jimi Hendrix Experience ‘Electric Ladyland’ Deluxe Edition 50th Anniversary Box Set Out November 9th
    Sep

Includes new 5.1 surround sound mix by Eddie Kramer, 24 bit/96 kz high resolution stereo audio, expanded documentary on the making of the landmark record + previously unreleased demos and alternate takes, unreleased live album plus book containing handwritten lyrics/unseen photos

In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the release of the Jimi Hendrix Experience masterpiece Electric Ladyland, Experience Hendrix, L.L.C. and Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, are releasing the Deluxe Edition box set on November 9. Available as either a 3CD/1 Blu-ray set or a 6LP/1 Blu-ray set, both packages include the original double album, now newly remastered by Bernie Grundman from the original analog tapes. For the LP set, Grundman prepared an all analog direct to disc vinyl transfer of the album, preserving the authenticity. Also included is Electric Ladyland: The Early Takes, which presents demos and studio outtakes from this period in Hendrix’s career, plus a new 5.1 surround sound mix of the entire original album by Hendrix’s original engineer Eddie Kramer. This marks the first and only time this has been done with a Hendrix studio album, and gives listeners the original stereo mixes in uncompressed 24 bit/96 kz high resolution audio.

Pre-order Electric Ladyland Deluxe Edition: https://jimihendrix.lnk.to/ELL_50

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At the Hollywood Bowl 9/14/68, part of Experience Hendrix’s Dagger Records official bootleg series, is another exclusive component. The never before released recording captures the band and the mounting excitement that took place just weeks before the release of Electric Ladyland. The Blu-ray also includes the acclaimed, feature length documentary At Last… The Beginning: The Making of Electric Ladyland.

Lastly, Electric Ladyland Deluxe Edition includes a full color, 48-page book containing Jimi’s handwritten lyrics, poem and instructions to his record label, as well as never before published photos from the recording sessions that were shot by Eddie Kramer himself.

“I had always dreamed of mixing Electric Ladyland in 5.1 surround sound,” says Eddie Kramer, who engineered every Hendrix album made during his life, and produced or co-produced nearly all of his posthumous material. “It always felt to me as the perfect vehicle for the kind of adventuresome stuff that Jimi and I were trying to do in 1968. The visceral thrill when we completed the first surround mix of “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)” was palpable. It was an overwhelming experience—pun intended. We viewed this song as the surround test and the moment I heard it I flashed back on those moments when Jimi and I were mixing the stereo album, laughing at our attempts to find that ‘elusive’ sound.” The Blu-ray for Electric Ladyland Deluxe Edition will contain these 5.1 surround sound mixes – a first for any studio album in the Hendrix canon.

The new cover art – a Linda (McCartney) Eastman photograph of the band and children at the statue of Alice In Wonderland in New York’s Central Park – was Hendrix’s own choice of imagery for the album’s cover image. The shot was relegated to the inside of the U.S. version on Reprise Records, printed in black and white. The UK version of the album released by Track Records didn’t include the photo at all, and instead featured a gatefold photo of 19 naked women, which Hendrix famously abhorred. For the first time ever, the Linda Eastman photo, in full color, will grace the cover of Electric Ladyland, true to Jimi Hendrix’s original vision.

The third album by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Electric Ladyland was the last Hendrix studio album to have been released during the guitar icon’s lifetime and reflects his meticulous involvement in every facet of its creation. In his essay, included in the full color 12” x 12” book that comes with the set, veteran Rolling Stone contributor David Fricke contends, “Electric Ladyland is the guitarist at a visceral, pictorial peak in his playing and his exploration of the recording studio as an instrument of composition and narrative.”

Originally released on October 16, 1968, Electric Ladyland is the source of such legendary Hendrix tracks as “All Along The Watchtower,” “Voodoo Child (Slight Return),” “Crosstown Traffic,” and “Burning of the Midnight Lamp.” It is commonly acknowledged by Hendrix cognoscenti as the most fully realized, cohesive project of his entire career. The only Hendrix album to have hit #1 on the Billboard charts, it is, indisputably, the crowning achievement of The Jimi Hendrix Experience and underscored Hendrix’s abilities as singer, songwriter, guitarist, and producer. It remains his most popular selling album outside the U.S., outpacing the guitarist’s groundbreaking debut LP Are You Experienced.

Notable for being the first album produced and directed by Jimi Hendrix, Electric Ladyland was largely recorded after Hendrix split from Chas Chandler – the former member of the Animals who found Hendrix in New York and brought him to the UK, co-managing his career and producing the first two Experience albums. There is also the introduction of outside players, namely Steve Winwood, Chris Wood and Dave Mason of Traffic, Jack Casady of Jefferson Airplane (bass on “Voodoo Chile”), and Hendrix’s own future Band of Gypsys band mate Buddy Miles (drums on “Rainy Day, Dream Away” and “Still Raining, Still Dreaming”). As a result of the growing tension between Hendrix and Experience bassist Noel Redding (who parted ways the following year), Hendrix took it upon himself to play bass on most of the songs, including the cover of Bob Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower,” the only Jimi Hendrix Experience single to reach Billboard’s top 20. Widely considered one of the greatest interpretations ever recorded, Dylan professed in 1995 that Hendrix “found things that other people wouldn’t think of finding in there. He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using.” By 1974, Dylan demonstrated the ultimate show of respect when he began using Hendrix’s template to perform his own song.

Electric Ladyland: The Early Takes consists of demos for song ideas Hendrix recorded himself on a Teac reel-to-reel tape machine in early 1968, as well as early sessions at Sound Center and the Record Plant in New York. Previously unreleased versions of “Angel Caterina” and “Little Miss Strange” feature guest appearances from Buddy Miles and Stephen Stills. “Long Hot Summer” features Hendrix and Mitch Mitchell with Al Kooper on piano, and “At Last . . . the Beginning” is an early version of what would become “…And the Gods Made Love.” Jimi’s demos, recorded in March 1968 while he resided at the Drake Hotel in Manhattan included formative renditions of such classic songs as “Voodoo Chile” and “Gypsy Eyes,” as well as fascinating sketches of songs such as “Angel” and “My Friend” which, despite their quality, did not make the album.

Electric Ladyland Deluxe Edition includes the previously unreleased live album Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At the Hollywood Bowl 9/14/68, part of Experience Hendrix’s official ‘bootleg’ series. This live album documents their triumphant Los Angeles concert held a few weeks before Electric Ladyland was released. The recently discovered two-track soundboard recording captures the energy that had the audience in such a frenzy that many concert goers jumped into the reflecting pool that separated the bandstand from the seats. Live At the Hollywood Bowl 9/14/68 includes selections from all three Experience albums, as well as a cover of Cream’s smash hit “Sunshine of Your Love.” The accompanying book is filled with unpublished photos that follow the band at the Bowl, from afternoon rehearsal, to backstage to the performance itself.

At Last… The Beginning: The Making of Electric Ladyland documents the creation of the legendary double album. Some of Jimi’s closest associates are seen on screen discussing their first-hand recollections of Hendrix and the project including JHE bassist Noel Redding, drummer Mitch Mitchell, manager Chas Chandler; Buddy Miles, Jack Casady, Steve Winwood, Dave Mason and others who participated in the Electric Ladyland sessions. One of the highlights of the program includes demonstrations by Eddie Kramer, who discusses the techniques Hendrix, Mitchell and Redding employed in recording the album, playing some of the original multitrack tapes to illustrate the process. At Last… The Beginning: The Making of Electric Ladyland is the definitive telling of the story.

The accompanying 48-page full-color book contains essays by music critic David Fricke and producer John McDermott. It is filled with detailed recording information and unpublished photos, including many taken by Eddie Kramer during the recording of the album. Fans get a rare look at Hendrix’s handwritten lyrics and instructions to his label Warner Bros. for the album, drawn from his personal notebook, as well as original Warner Bros. internal memos and alternate artwork for the album.

Electric Ladyland Deluxe Edition includes:

Electric Ladyland – original album remixed by Eddie Kramer in 5.1 Surround Sound

Side A

1) … And the Gods Made Love

2) Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)

3) Crosstown Traffic

4) Voodoo Chile

Side B

1) Little Miss Strange

2) Long Hot Summer Night

3) Come On (Part I)

4) Gypsy Eyes

5) Burning of the Midnight Lamp

Side C

1) Rainy Day, Dream Away

2) 1983….(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)

3) Moon, Turn the Tides….Gently Gently Away

Side D

1) Still Raining, Still Dreaming

2) House Burning Down

3) All Along the Watchtower

4) Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

At Last…The Beginning: The Making of Electric Ladyland: The Early Takes

Side A

1) 1983…(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)

2) Voodoo Chile

3) Cherokee Mist

4) Hear My Train A Comin’

Side B

1) Angel

2) Gypsy Eyes

3) Somewhere

4) Long Hot Summer Night [Demo 1]

5) Long Hot Summer Night [Demo 3]

6) Long Hot Summer Night [Demo 4]

7) Snowballs At My Window

8) My Friend

Side C

1) At Last…The Beginning

2) Angel Caterina (1983)

3) Little Miss Strange

4) Long Hot Summer Night [Take 1]

5) Long Hot Summer Night [Take 14]

Side D

1) Rainy Day, Dream Away

2) Rainy Day Shuffle

3) 1983…(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At The Hollywood Bowl Sept. 14, 1968 (Dagger Records)

Side A

1) Introduction

2) Are You Experienced

3) Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

Side B

1) Red House

2) Foxey Lady

3) Fire

Side C

1) Hey Joe

2) Sunshine of Your Love

3) I Won’t Live Today

Side D

1) Little Wing

2) Star Spangled Banner

3) Purple Haze

At Last… The Beginning: The Making of Electric Ladyland documentary (Blu-ray)

Uncompressed LPCM Stereo 24b/96k
    Uncompressed LPCM 5.1 Surround 24b/96k
    DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround 24b/96k

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Interesting that they refer to the Hollywood Bowl as a "Dagger Records" release. A "recently discovered two track soundboard". Hmmm. Is this new to us or previously known? I must say I'm a bit underwhelmed by this whole project, at least what we know of it now. Sure a Surround Sound remix with Eddie fooling with a joystick might be fun. I guess I'll have to play it on my TV, as I don't have a dedicated hi-fi surround system, just my Costco system to go with my Vizio TV. Soundbar, two satellites and a subwoofer. I hope that will work.

As for the "Outtakes" disc - well there's a lot missing that I might have hoped for. I can certainly do without the re-release of the home recordings which seem to make up the entirety of Side A. Big yawn for that. Ditto for yet another take of "Angel". I don't care what they say, that has nothing to do with ELL and should not be on this album. Same goes for "Somewhere" and "My Friend". I don't know what the fuck "Snowballs at My Window" is, but I bet its trivial. Where are the alternate takes of BOTML, House Burning Down, Crosstown Traffic, Come On etc. etc. etc. Filling this up with unrelated material just makes it more apparent that JANIE DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING ELSE. She is scraping the bottom of the barrel again. Compare this to the anniversary remix of Sergeant Pepper's and you can see this is pretty sketchy. I just pray that the "1983" is the alternate studio mix that was on Lifelines, but longer and without the narration.

I also pray that the Hollywood Bowl recording sounds a LOT better than the boots.

I most of all I pray that the Surround Mix is more than Eddie just fiddling a joystick around, but that he actually put some ears and effort into bringing out tracks that were previously buried in the mix or unused. We know, from watching the "Making of ELL video" that Eddie has the ability to bring up the voices in BOTML, and other cool things. If this Surround Mix is good enough, I may have to upgrade my old hi-fi just to hear a new mix of "House Burning Down" in surround sound!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Does anybody know what the run will be of numbered vinyl? 5,000? 10,000? I can't find that referenced anywhere other than getting a number below #350 if you buy the bundle that includes a t-shirt, beanie and pick tin.

Thanks

Finally Jimi in 5.1!!!! I dont even have a blu ray player, I just might have to finally get one and get quadrophenia too. Lets hope Axis and AYE are next up for 5.1.

Thanks

This is the kind of release we should of got for AYE and ABAL 50th anniversary. I am really looking forward to this release, the 2 track soundboard of Hollywood Bowl is really interesting. hopefully it's not all spliced up and a complete show including the long aye intro. My guess it's more along the lines of the Woburn release and not like Miami or they would have packaged it as stand alone release in the future. but still happy to get a soundboard recording.

Thanks

Was hoping for multiple instrumental or other takes of electric ladyland. In the promo video they had the track from the purple box set but it's not on the track listings!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dizgizmo View Post
    Was hoping for multiple instrumental or other takes of electric ladyland. In the promo video they had the track from the purple box set but it's not on the track listings!
    Yeah, it seems like the majority of the alternative takes are Drake hotel demos, a bunch of which are probably already on the ECSB release? Just a handful of new studio takes/tryouts on there? A little surprising really considering that's in their archives. Still pretty happy about it all but once again it seems quite confused. Why include the Hollywood Bowl as part of the package? (Pretty tenuous link that it's a gig close to ELL release). It would be such an excellent Dagger release in its own right. Anyway I shouldn't moan. New stuff is ALWAYS welcome however it arrives.

Will be interesting to see what makes up the additional 40 minutes of The Making of Electric Ladyland documentary. Just imagine if they really surprise us with the lost ABC VCSR footage...I can dream I suppose

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pukaha For This Useful Post:

Thanks

New soundboard of Hollywood Bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MP View Post
    New soundboard of Hollywood Bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, that is a nice surprise as was the audience tape when it surfaced in the 1980s....I wonder what the story is behind the board?

Thanks

Wonder if they will do the same with woodstock next year

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to themusocat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by themusocat View Post
    Wonder if they will do the same with woodstock next year
    if so I hope that they will include everything that was played. I don't care that Larry lee was out of tune

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Choice of camera angles be nice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    I don't know what the fuck "Snowballs at My Window" is, but I bet its trivial.
    Based on my research, I'm guessing you're right, and it's this 29 second clip...

https://books.google.com/books?id=JE...endrix&f=false

Disappointing.

Chris Elliott
    I own every CD release Experience Hendrix has ever put out including singles, boxed sets, special editions, live performances, and Dagger releases. I love making my own contextual mixes such as First Rays mixes based on Jimi's hand written track-lists, and the one I'm currently working on, a compilation of all of the material Jimi and Stephen Stills put together.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mccflo99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,257 Times in 384 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mccflo99 View Post
    Based on my research, I'm guessing you're right, and it's this 29 second clip...

https://books.google.com/books?id=JE...endrix&f=false

Disappointing.

Chris Elliott
    Its also been on CTT for 10 years already, track 5 here: http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?144

24. The Following User Says Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Funny that EH would title it "Snowballs At My Window" if Jimi's own title was "Our Lovely Home". At any rate, if its just an acoustic home recorded demo, I'm not going to get excited about it. 50th ELL seems like a perfunctory cash grab compared with the deluxe treatment being given to the Beatles White Album, due to be released soon. :<

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

https://www.uncut.co.uk/news/exclusi...ric%20Ladyland

Exclusive! Watch a new clip about the making of Jimi Hendrix’s Electric Ladyland

0shares

Eddie Kramer recalls Hendrix demoing songs in his New York hotel room
    Photo by Chuck Boyd/ © Authentic Hendrix, LLC

TAGS:Jimi HendrixThe Jimi Hendrix Experience

Today is the 50th anniversary of the US release of The Jimi Hendrix Experience’s Electric Ladyland.
    To mark this occasion, Uncut can share a new and exclusive clip outlining the content of the Electric Ladyland 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition, due out on November 9.
    Order the latest issue of Uncut online and have it sent to your home!
    In the clip, Hendrix’s trusted engineer Eddie Kramer describes revisiting the demo tapes that Jimi recorded in his room at New York’s Drake Hotel, undeterred by ringing phones and knocks on the door from fellow guests telling him to keep the noise down. Watch it below:
    Those very demo tapes have been restored by Kramer and form part of the Electric Ladyland 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition, which you can pre-order here.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vkd108 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Soooo, what would sound better, the SACD or the vinyl

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by themusocat View Post
    Soooo, what would sound better, the SACD or the vinyl
    This will only be out on CD and Vinyl as far as I know.

The answer to your question is very subjective, but in regards to the vinyl, it really depends on the $,$$$ in you're set-up.
    I've poured thousands of dollars into my turntable chain, only to find out that I'm losing quality - definition and high frequencies because I need to upgrade my Interconnect cables.
    I pre-ordered the CD for this release, but if you've invested in your Turntable chain properly, I would go with that. The Vinyl will (hopefully) give you a analog copy of the masters.