Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Electric Ladyland’ Gets Massive Reissue for 50th Anniversary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 468 Posts

Re: Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Electric Ladyland’ Gets Massive Reissue for 50th Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Of course, we know it will sound better than that broadcast but that's what we have presented to us for listening so that's what we comment on.

But, I don't see the improvement will be enough for the live show to be acceptable for the general listener in a set such as this.

I would have bought the stand alone Dagger of this show, as would most folk here. So this is clearly a move to force a sub standard recording into the main stream.
    As a rabid Jimi fan I am always happy to get new sources such as this Hollywood Bowl source.

We may not have got it at all if not this way. That being said with additional Winterland material still in the can and parts of Europe 69 in much better fidelity in their possession it is potentially disappointing. Still reserving judgement until final product.

We can argue outtakes all day long but the fact is we will now have the complete Drake Hotel tape between this and WCSB plus what look tio be some cool outtakes of ELL, 1983, Little Miss Strange, Long Hot Summer Night and the Rainy Day jams. Could there have been otbers? of course! but I think we are geting some cool stuff still.
    Last edited by Experiencereunited; 10-28-18 at 10:11 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Electric Ladyland’ Gets Massive Reissue for 50th Anniversary

I'll take what I can get. Thanks for the samples.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 374 Posts

Maybe they messed with the broadcast sound on purpose to stymie boots.

Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,100 Times in 347 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    Sorry but I don't need another copy of that "Angel" demo or any of the other Drake Hotel demos :< What I do need are outtakes of "House Burning Down" and "BOTML". But if you read between the lines of that McDermott podcast, its pretty clear that Janie just doesn't have them.
    I don't understand - how can EH not have outtakes of those tracks - when they wrote them up in Sessions book etc? Given the paucity of outtakes in this collection - I wondered myself if many of the ELL session tapes are AWOL? I wish EK would have mixed South Saturn Delta properly for this release - one of my biggest EH disappointments - I want the echo horns! I have always hated the SSD CD mix. I suspect there musn't be a good quality tape of Somewhere with Buddy Miles original drums on it around either...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've heard an outtake of House Burning Down - except for the crappy sound quality is was great to hear. And there are some nice fragments of BOTM with alternate lead vocals floating around too. Not to mention the mixing board stuff with Kramer bringing up the background vocals. My only hope is that on the 5:1 mix, Eddie went to town on BOTML. It seems to be suggested that instead of somehow just "expanding" the stereo mix, they actually did a new mix. I wonder if the girls all sang into one mic? If they had their own mics that could be amazing.

As for "Angel". Well big yawn. I would have so much preferred a bonus track of Stars That Play in 5:1.

ss

Quote Originally Posted by funkydrummer View Post
    I don't understand - how can EH not have outtakes of those tracks - when they wrote them up in Sessions book etc? Given the paucity of outtakes in this collection - I wondered myself if many of the ELL session tapes are AWOL? I wish EK would have mixed South Saturn Delta properly for this release - one of my biggest EH disappointments - I want the echo horns! I have always hated the SSD CD mix. I suspect there musn't be a good quality tape of Somewhere with Buddy Miles original drums on it around either...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The podcast sounds murky and muddy, probably streamed at 120 kb or even less. I'm not surprised the Bowl show sounds like crap
    I can't believe the same Angel is being used again. It sure ain't unreleased.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ranasakawa View Post
    The podcast sounds murky and muddy, probably streamed at 120 kb or even less. I'm not surprised the Bowl show sounds like crap
    I can't believe the same Angel is being used again. It sure ain't unreleased.
    This will be what? the fourth release? L&U/Lifelines, By Himself (or whatever... the one with the book), WCSB and once again...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    I've heard an outtake of House Burning Down - except for the crappy sound quality is was great to hear. And there are some nice fragments of BOTM with alternate lead vocals floating around too. Not to mention the mixing board stuff with Kramer bringing up the background vocals. My only hope is that on the 5:1 mix, Eddie went to town on BOTML. It seems to be suggested that instead of somehow just "expanding" the stereo mix, they actually did a new mix. I wonder if the girls all sang into one mic? If they had their own mics that could be amazing.

As for "Angel". Well big yawn. I would have so much preferred a bonus track of Stars That Play in 5:1.

ss
    I believe that all of the outtakes circulating of HBD are only alternate mixes of officially released Take 2, rather than any extra takes...but I am happy to be proven wrong! That said, I had a look after I posted this at the Sessions book - and the description details how on May 1 1968 - Jimi is heard detailing instructions for HBD over an open mic etc - then they record instrumental takes etc...I mean, this is the sort of stuff that should be appearing on a so-called anniversary box! Give us an instrumental take of HBD! It may be raggedy - but who cares? Perhaps some montages of works in progress (like the Pet Sounds Sessions for example) - what we are being given is ridiculous. In fact from what I can discern there is little new stuff on there...I was actually wondering whether EH were using this as a copyright exercise - they have to release stuff that has been booted, or they lose control of it in EU. HOWEVER, after some research I believe the older ruling in EU that anything unreleased is fair game after fifty years is not correct - because it is considered "stolen" property and cannot go into the PD. So that theory doesn't hold.
    Yeah I saw debate over whether it is a new mix or not over at Hoffman forums...to me it sounds like a new mix!

Thanks

OK, maybe not precisely an outtake, but I just went and listened to the version included in "On The Road to ELL" and its certainly different enough to be interesting vocals guitars and drums all seem to have little extra bits that aren't prominent on the official mix.

Well like I said, I can only hope that Eddie got creative enough in the 5:1 mix to highlight some things that were previously obscure.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/q1043outoft...q3le94&__xts__[0]=68.ARAZK7ITYUkKeX0jkrD6i-OLqjXGjdDJ3qbaCp74xTeZN4qYzRACQrY6mz64FiGtuXNh35K2 7byeXyiT524TEIEuLTZzFpmh0lP705N6NA4dNnuI3-CnRBii3udCL-G9CfhwC8flCJpTOGCFmcy-ABe7EWH84BPIStFQukYXj-hrNCHx8orjceHz36Op3jmirEG8S6_mKlUHFpr4EAxVDUqJNNvL ZuTdMl-tBWvlvHxVvyAeSAAgy-p1ctC4jteQsoEY&__tn__=FC-R

Eddie Kramer and McDermott live on Facebook discussing the new release

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gregg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,831 Times in 854 Posts

I put it up on Youtube

20. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 335 Posts

Electric Ladyland 50th Anniversary Edition: 5.1 Surround Mix

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks

4 days left, four days folks )

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jimijames For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,017 Posts

"That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yesterday I got my 5.1. Surround setup ready! I can't wait to hear "And the Gods Made Love" whirling and swirling around my head in 3d! I listened to The Beatles 1+ Surround Sound mixes just to get ready for Jimi! But Giles Martin's Surround Sound remixes are pretty tame, largely because he didn't have that many tracks to work with. But he did pull out the stops for his mashup of "Tomorrow Never Knows"/"Within You Without You". I hope Eddie pulls out ALL the stops! That's what Jimi would have wanted!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 335 Posts

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimi-...eissue-review/
    JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE, ‘ELECTRIC LADYLAND: 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION': ALBUM REVIEW
    MICHAEL GALLUCCINovember 7, 2018

Jimi Hendrix had a lot to say in 1968, when he released Electric Ladyland, the third and final album with the Jimi Hendrix Experience. You can hear it in the sprawling double-record set's free-form jams, dizzying psych-rock freak-outs and occasional unevenness.

The period surrounding the album was a busy and productive one for Hendrix, who'd never release another studio record before his death two years later. For years, material recorded right before, during and right after the Electric Ladyland sessions has found its way onto posthumous collections.

Add Electric Ladyland: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition to that list.

The four-disc set includes a remastered version of the original 16-track album, a surround-sound mix on Blu-ray, a disc of previously unreleased demos and alternate takes and a concert CD that showcases just how powerful the trio of Hendrix, Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding could be outside the studio.

The centerpiece of the box is Electric Ladyland itself, a still-stunning collection of studio-enhanced oddities, loose jam sessions and that breathtaking cover of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower." The best songs – "Crosstown Traffic," "Voodoo Chile," "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and "Watchtower" – manage to spin blues, pop, soul and rock into era-defining anthems that sweep past their genres into something more original and timeless.

Some of it's messy, and some of it can sound like psychedelic nonsense today. But there's no denying the pull of Hendrix's guitar and vision, folded into even sharper focus as he produced himself for the first time. It's Hendrix's most personal album, and a celebration of the studio and its limitless possibilities.

The disc of demos shows just how far the songs developed once Mitchell, Redding and more instruments entered the proceedings. Early skeletal takes of "Voodoo Chile" and "Long Hot Summer Night," featuring just Hendrix and his guitar, possess little of the dynamic and energy that make the finished band versions so enthralling. Songs that didn't make the final cut – like "Angel" and "Snowballs at My Window" – are a little more interesting in this solo setting, mainly because we don't get to hear them fleshed out on the box.

The live set – recorded at the Hollywood Bowl on Sept. 14, 1968, about a month before Electric Ladyland's release – contains only one song from the album, but it's a highlight of the show: a soaring eight-minute "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)." The rest of the previously unreleased tracks includes usual Experience concert songs like "Red House," "Foxey Lady" and "Purple Haze," all played with fiery intensity and no small amount of period heaviness.

These two CDs reveal a fuller picture of Electric Ladyland's achievements, and just how much work went into shaping the songs into ear-opening sonic landscapes with engineer Eddie Kramer. Check out "1983 ... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)," which may be Hendrix's most epic recording, as layer ater layer of feedback, manipulated to sound like seagulls, and backward guitars and flutes are unpeeled over 13 mind-blowing minutes. It's still quite a trip, half a century later.

All this experimentation came at a price, though. The Experience splintered during the sessions and broke up the following year. Hendrix split with his longtime manager. And he eventually found his way to a new trio that scaled back some of Electric Ladyland's ambitions. In a way, this 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition marks the end of one glorious era and the beginning of the next, mostly unrealized one. Even if some of it seems unnecessary – the demos offer few revelations; the concert becomes a noisy blur by the end – at least the pieces fall together. Electric Ladyland still sounds like a singular triumph.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Apparently the reviewer didn't listen to the surround mix. :P

I know another writer who says his review is coming soon. He's had the set for a month. And he says the surround mix is "beautiful". I did some more listening to the Beatles in 5:1 today. "Rain" is pretty cool. "Daytripper" also quite nice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 441 Posts

Roland, post 56 ^
    "I hope Eddie pulls out ALL the stops! That's what Jimi would have wanted!"

Eddie Kramer extrapolates :

https://youtu.be/EOlFbiTSWHk?t=224

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,017 Posts

Poor DR values on the hirez, crap distorted sound on the live show, OK surround mix. That's what I hear about this set.

So the average jimi buyer gets a crappy sounding live set that has nothing to do with the album. A waste of space hirez disc and if they have SS capability an OK (jeez) gimmicky fun time occational play.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post: